RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

passenger mirror fails horizontally OK vertically

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-12, 07:32 PM
DrDan
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default passenger mirror fails horizontally OK vertically

My 2003 RX-300 has a problem with the passenger side mirror. Something got disconnected because the left to right adjustment stopped. The vertical adjustment works fine. I have to manually move the mirror horizontally. Since there is no resistance when I move it in that direction, it appears that something broke or got disconnected.

Any ideas? How do I get into the mirror assembly?

Thanks

Dr Dan

Somehow this was posted in the IS first generation.
I don't even know what the IS is.
Old 04-20-12, 12:05 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

All electric mirrors snap into the housing in one way or another. There are different designs. Either it has become disconnected or the screw drive for the motor has stripped. You should be able to roll the right window down and try and run the motor on the horozontal plain, as long as you are in the garage or a quiet place. You should be able to hear the motor run if the electrical connection is OK. If it is, the next thing is to pull the mirror around to the inside and look in behind it. You should be able to see in the small crack with it at the inward extreme. I'm afraid it's going to be difficult to take it out (the actual mirror) if you've never done it before. You have to know what to pry on without breaking the glass. Even if you get it out, you have to know just how to snap it back in without brealing it. I've done a lot of them, but it's not for the faint of heart.
If there is no resistance, either something is broken or has become disconnected.
Old 04-23-12, 06:43 AM
DrDan
Rookie

Thanks for confirming my suspicion that something came loose. I'll try your diagnostics ASAP. Right now I have painters and carpenters doing some major upgrade work (aka wild fire prevention measures) outside and they need some monitoring.

Dr Dan
Old 04-23-12, 02:24 PM
DrDan
Rookie

I did a quickie diagnostic. The motor in the mirror works. I get up and down travel. The sideways travel is limited to moving in towards the door. When I try to move the mirror outward towards the "blind spot" it starts to move then hesitates and stops moving. So, the motor does work in four directions, but the mirror only moves in three. Since this is "my car" and my wife rarely drives it, I can adjust the mirror once to my liking and leave it there.

Dr Dan