RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Changing broken radio antenna mast?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-04, 11:10 PM
salimshah

Received 1,080 Likes on 972 Posts

Eph:

Suggesttion:

Visit the Lexus parts or call them to fax you the page with antenna motor. Usually the parts picture gives you enough queues to tackle the job.

Sorry! can't help you.

Salim
Old 06-17-05, 11:45 AM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone know how to determine if the antenna mast is defective or the motor? My RX's antenna mast only goes up 1/2 way. Cleaning it doesn't help. Thanks.
Old 06-17-05, 12:16 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my replaced under warranty. The key is how I put it. "The antenna is making a funny noise when it goes up" They replaced it. I never mentioned I screwed it up by backing out of my garage with the antenna up.
Old 06-17-05, 01:23 PM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Thanks, but my 2000 RX300 has long been out of warranty.
Old 06-17-05, 03:42 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am waiting for mine to break any day it is so loud, sounds like someone hand cranking a metal grinder to me.
Old 07-25-05, 07:59 AM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Thought I would repost this question. My RX300s antenna mast will only go up about 1/2 way. Is there any way of knowing if just the mast needs replacement vs. the motor? Thanks.
Old 07-25-05, 05:55 PM
salimshah

Is there a kink or a bend in the mast?

My understanding is that the motor cuts out on sesing load (mast stops extending or retracting). So there is a possibility that the load sensor is bad (although the likely hood of bent antenna is more).

Try following the procedure to disassemble/release the mast. As it some how lets the motor work beyond the normal limits.

Salim
Old 07-25-05, 06:00 PM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Thanks for the good suggestion Salim!
Old 07-28-05, 09:04 PM
greasemnky
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=Pilot]I took the RX300 into the dealer where I bought it new 15 months before, and hoped for the best. They looked at it and told me no warranty. I told them to go ahead and replace the mast. They charged me a total of 160.00, with 90.00 being one hour labor! The mast was 61.00 on the invoice, and the rest was called shop fees.

This did not make me feel warm and fuzzy, when I was out the door in 45 minutes, which included a washed car, with armour-all on the tires. I guess I paid a rate of 90.00 per hour for someone to wash my car. I would like to find out what the official shop flat rate time is to change the mast. I bet it is more like .5 hrs.

I will fill out the service survey that will surly come in the mail from Lexus with my comments.

Pilot[/Q

being tech for alexus dealer in texas, i too would charge you a hour to fix your screw up, remeber u get what you pay for convienence, the wash the lounge u sat in and probably had free coffe or coke the tv u can also take ur car to any repair shop. u shouldnt slam the tech and advisor on the survey it sounds like they did their jobs well, would u rather of waited longer
Old 07-28-05, 09:06 PM
greasemnky
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by toy4two
I got my replaced under warranty. The key is how I put it. "The antenna is making a funny noise when it goes up" They replaced it. I never mentioned I screwed it up by backing out of my garage with the antenna up.

It's all about how you word your complaint!
Old 08-06-05, 10:54 AM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

I attempted to remove my RX300's antenna mast, but unfortunately it will not come out. I've followed the procedure of removing the lock nut, depressing & holding both the AM&FM buttons, while turning the key to ACC. The mast extends about half way, like it always does, and stops there.

Would this operation imply the motor is also defective? Or is there something else I can try to make the mast extend beyond it's normal range?

Thanks.
Dave
Old 08-08-05, 06:38 AM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Anyone have any suggestions for removing this mast? Or, is it likely the motor's at fault? Thanks.
Old 08-08-05, 06:41 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by DaveJ
Anyone have any suggestions for removing this mast? Or, is it likely the motor's at fault? Thanks.
Here are the coices:

a) take it in for repairs. Pay some one for the experience and knowhow.

b) Try a bit harder and be willing to live with the consequences.

The collective wisdom of the forum is not getting you any further.

If I were you ... I would give the antenna a sharp tug as it slows down while coming out. {Do it at your own risk}

ps: If you do manage to get it out ... DO NOT send it back in with the hope that maybe it will work. Not worth the risk at all.

Salim
Old 09-30-05, 10:34 AM
salimshah

Bump
on request.
Old 12-05-05, 04:00 PM
FriscoSC
Driver School Candidate

I got here via a Google search and appreciate the suggestions. I obtained a mast on eBay ($15) and pulled off the repair last night. I have a few suggestions and observations for those who will inevitably follow.

First, don't think for a minute that you can do this without help! I'd certainly get some blankets or other covering for the back of the car for protection. Have your assistant sit in the car and do as previously directed (hold AM + FM, turn key to ACC) BUT have them continue to hold both buttons. I found that my antenna did disengage and eject...but the plastic line remained engaged! When you continue to hold the AM and FM buttons, the motor ejects the line a bit farther, allowing you to remove it by GENTLY pulling on the line. (Tip: use a cloth to hold the plastic line while pulling...the teeth are greased at that point and you'll need the traction.) When the buttons are released, the line retracts a bit, presumably locking it into the mechanism. I suspect this might explain why some have had trouble getting the plastic line out of the car.

Second, I didn't immediately realize that the antenna nut is not attached to the outer sheath of the antenna. Gently twisting will remove it from the old antenna after it is ejected, allowing you to place it over the tip-end of the new antenna. I actually installed the new mast without realizing this, and then uninstalled it unnecessarily.

Third, if you have a late model Lexus with Bluetooth, don't forget to leave your cellphone out of range of the car while you're doing this! When a call comes through, the radio turns off to route the call through your speakers...not usually a big deal, unless your antenna is dangling over the side of your car and suddenly starts to make an unassisted return to its reservoir as it closes! (Again: use blankets to protect your paint!)

Fourth, if you have an SC and you manage to break the plastic line (either during the act that felled the antenna or during repair), call it a day and go to the dealer. There's no way you're getting to that motor housing with the covertible top's hardware lying directly over it. For a moment before I got my bearings, I thought I might have to get in there myself and discovered the access panels are difficult to remove and even when off, don't offer a direct approach to the motor. In this scenario, $160 is well-spent with the dealer.

In all, my experience was a bit nerve-racking but successful and certainly economical. Best wishes with your attempts!