RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

FWD versus AWD - Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-02, 01:13 PM
ganglandstyle
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FWD versus AWD any opinions?

I'm looking to pick up a used RX300 and was wondering what the pluses and minuses are regarding front wheel drive-only versus the all wheel drive?

I would never use the vehicle off road--only expressway driving in a city (Dallas) where we almost never get snow--only ice a few days a year.

Gas mileage would seem to be less with the AWD (how much less?) and there are more moving parts to go bad.

Any actual benefit to normal driving with respect to handling with the AWD? Safety?

I've searched the forums and this question does not appear to have been handled.

Thanks for your imput!
Bruce
Old 11-03-02, 01:56 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

I think the only real downside to the AWD would be the extra costs. There is also additional maintenance with it, but not by much. Front/Rear weight distribution would be slightly more even with the AWD. Plus, on wet/rainy days you will have better traction especially when you plat the gas pedal from a stop.

IMO the decrease in gas mileage is significant enough to be a deciding factor. So, basically, the real benefit for you would be increased traction in wet weather driving situations.
Old 11-04-02, 03:38 PM
Handogen
Driver

I'm up in Denver and AWD is definitely appreciated. I can tell the difference between the sure footed RX and my wife's FWD Acura Vigor... i.e. Acura slides all over the place, and the RX is in control ALL the time. My biggest worry is the drivers around me.

If I were in Dallas, I'd probably look for the FWD RX300. You'll save on gas, and you'll probably never take advantage of the AWD capabilities.

Good luck!
Hando
Old 11-04-02, 05:56 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Post FWD OK

Given the extra cost, some slight additional maintenance (40K viscous coupling), and reduced fuel economy (~2mpg) of the AWD, for most folks in more temperate climes, the FWD is probably the better choice. FWD accelerates a little better too, (maybe .2-.3 sec to 60 mph) - fewer moving parts, less drag, a little less weight.... FWD loaners I've driven seem to have gained a cylinder or two over my AWD.

While I'm not planning on joining the Rubicon Trail anytime soon, my AWD has been handy a couple of times for getting me out of places that would have involved a LONG walk. If you stay on clear, paved roads, the FWD should be fine.

As to safety, I've not been able to directly compare the two models. In safe locations I've tried doing some rather stupid things that would have spun my RWD or FWD cars - with no real effect. The AWD hooks up and powers its way through a moderately slick corner with very little drama, and a touch of opposite lock. For rain or snow I prefer the security and stability of the AWD, but that's a personal call. For ice, fit studded tires, or try my own patented solution: a toddy in front of the fireplace, thank you!
Old 11-06-02, 03:26 AM
disco_y2k
Pole Position

i will swear by the AWD, you hit standing water on the highway at 100mph you will love it to! i actually did that and didnt even come close to loosing control, in rain or any other slick conditions i can tell when the AWD kicks in you gain control back within a split second, also this weekend i actually had to put my RX through a little mud we went camping and got stuck in a down poor and with the AWD in the snow setting thier was hardly any wheel spin at all, even when the JEEP CJ7 ahead of me was spinning its tires. the AWD does work
Old 11-07-02, 03:28 PM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

i like the AWD in all but i dunno... I guess i don't hav emuch use for it... What i think i should have done was instead of getting AWD... get NAVI!!!!
Old 11-11-02, 06:42 PM
w4rjd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an AWD and have had FWD as loaners from the dealer during service visits. The fuel milage is about 2 mpg less with AWD. The handling in rain and wet weather is far better on the AWD model. If I buy another RX it will be an AWD, no question about that decision.

Stu
Old 11-11-02, 07:13 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

AWD. We live in Arkansas, not exactly a skier's paradise, but we get plenty of rain. Also have the (then available but optional) LSD in rear.

Wifey's ride tracks as if on rails in the rain. My GS, even with VSC (and the RE030s aren't THAT bad in the rain) does not feel as settled; my previous SC300 5 spd w/o LSD or TRAC or VSC was an absolute pig by comparison to either the GS or the RX. And when we have had snow/ice (we had two absolutely horrendous icestorms on Christmas and then New Year's 2 years ago), the RX has been great, even on the Integritys. But the most important component in that weather is the one behind the wheel, anyway.

If someone is worried about 2 mpg difference, they are driving the wrong car; may I recommend something in a Honda, for instance??
Old 04-14-04, 03:17 PM
pfsacer
Driver

Question to all that can compare.

I have to make the decision soon, AWD or FWD, the additional traction for the weather I do not need, but i was wondering how about any torque steer in the FWD ?

Do you notice it ?

I would highly appreciate your input
Old 04-14-04, 03:33 PM
gsenthil
Pole Position

Also keep in mind the payload is abt 1240lbs for the FWD and 1050 for the AWD.
Old 04-14-04, 05:02 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

No torque steer in AWD, at least in mine. Also I'd expect the AWD to have greater resale value.
Old 04-14-04, 06:51 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I opted for FWD over AWD for the reasons mentioned previously. But, I never seen snow or ice anymore (winters spent in So. Florida) and don't push my RX300 anywhere near the limits. So, I say FWD for Dallas.

When I lived in upstate NY, I knew folks who drove everywhere with RWD cars and no snow tires. It's really important how well you know how to handle a car on ice and snow. And, I've seen SUV drivers with AWD go all over the road because they manage to lose traction on all 4 wheels because of lack of driving skills on ice and snow. I know it's hard to practice in areas (like Virginia) with not that much ice and snow. Virginia drivers go nuts with the slightest amount of ice or snow. Maybe you ought to take a trip up North in the winter and practice on a rental car. A few days on a snow-covered shopping center parking lot should help a lot.
Old 04-15-04, 07:17 AM
pfsacer
Driver

Thanks all, but can you tell me anything about torque steer in the FWD, I know you won;t have it in the AWD, but that is logical

FWD is prone to have torque steer, I was wondering how much of it is present in the RX330
Old 04-15-04, 09:31 AM
vonburkleo
Driver School Candidate

I live in Los Angeles, so rain and snow driving are not much of an issue but after driving both the FWD and AWD RX 330, the AWD won hands down.

My favorite cars have always been RWD and I found the FWD RX330 had too much torque steer for my liking...the AWD felt much better balanced.

Try it yourself by accelerating during a 90 degree cornering turn. The torque steer is awful on the FWD, but not very noticeable with the AWD.
Old 04-15-04, 09:36 AM
pfsacer
Driver

Thanks vonburkleo

Hope to get more people to give me their findings on the torque steer

Quick Reply: FWD versus AWD - Opinions?