RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Late overdrive shift?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-02, 03:17 AM
Turbo_Tim
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Late overdrive shift?

First let me say hello. This is my first post, and let me tell you, I was plenty glad to find this board!

I own a 'slightly modified' Grandnational, and hang out on the 2 buick boards (turbobuick.com, and turbobuicks.com)with the same screen name I'm using here. These boards are a great source for shareing information, and getting and giving help.

Ok, I just bought the RX300 a wek ago, after learning about them through various sources on the internet. I like tha AWD feature, the nice acceleration, and the luxury all wrapped up in one vehicle. I'm very happy with the car, bought it off an individual owner, and don't have the owners manual. (it is on the way from E-Bay..) I've got most of the buttons figured out, but one thing is bothering me.

The car won't go into overdrive until it warms up. It is very consistant as to when it does go in (1-2 miles from the house) and goes right in without hesitation.

Can I assume this is normal, that the 0-2 sensor must get to a certain temperature before it allows overdrive? Is this sensor a 'wide band', and un-heated as well?

Gees, I can't wait to get the owners manual. This is a fine vehicle, and I get the feeling that I am only beginning to appreciate the engineering involved with it.

Oh yeah, I paid 23K for it, and it has 55K on the clock. Oil changes were done, but there were no other maintenance records, so I'm wondering what else I should be checking to ward off any problems....

Thanks in advance, and it's really cool to be here...

Last edited by Turbo_Tim; 11-04-02 at 03:18 AM.
Old 11-04-02, 03:57 PM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Default Re: Late overdrive shift?

Tim,
To be rather short and general, yes, it is normal and frequently observed by other forum members... It's actually very normal for most modern transmissions. A few searches here on the forum using various keywords related to this topic would probably tell you more.
I see this is your first post... WELCOME TO CL!
Also, your nickname has "turbo" in it - that wouldn't happen to apply to your RX, would it? (I'm guessing that's a most definate "NO," but I had to ask.)
Old 11-04-02, 05:14 PM
white01
Driver

Welcome Turbo_Tim! I'm usually pretty easy on the throttle until, it warms up. Then all hell breaks loose. However, the other day, I ran a little harder than normal after startup - and I noticed it wouldn't rev - past a cerain point. I think it was about 4500rpm's I may be wrong. Many have posted on this subject so I think it's normal.

Now my question, is that Grand National a GNX? A lot of people don't know about them. They're pretty much sleepers until you mod past a certain point, then they tend to make their presence known. I 've seem a couple of Regal T-Type's that are modded to the point of their Grand Nat'l and Trans-Am counterparts
Old 11-04-02, 08:46 PM
Turbo_Tim
Driver School Candidate

CK1_RX3 Thanks for the welcome. As stated above my nickname came from the other board, sorry for the confusion......

I was suprised to find the search term 'overdrive' did not yeild any posts that related to my situation. Perhaps the search feature is not working? Some 20 posts were listed, none related to my search word.

whiet01, Hadn't noticed rpm limitations in the cold state, but it is interesting to see you are being limited. Perhaps your car has a sense of survival buillt into it?

I don't have a GNX, as I regard this as a collectors car and as such it would a pity to modify it for racing. Stock, the Grandnationals ran mid 14's, and the GNX's (547 made) ran high 13's. Not bad for a 231 Cubic inch, six cyl. moter-eh? They are a facinating, and little known about vehicle. You will find lots of information about the cars, the history, and technical information here-www.gnttype.org.
Old 11-05-02, 10:24 AM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

turbotim,

Here is a thread that will tell you more... I searched "tranny" in the engine and transmission section to find it:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=tranny

This also illustrates that it is common and in fact a very normal way of the engine protecting itself before coming to safe operating temperatures.

I realized where your nickname came from, but it doesn't keep a guy from hoping One of these days somebodys gonna show up here with a turboed or superchaged or at least nitrous-charged RX... it's only a matter of time.
Old 11-05-02, 01:24 PM
Handogen
Driver

Tim, welcome to ClubLexus.

Any dealer in the country (and possibly Canada) should be able to look up the service history on your RX. They keep a national database. I bought my Lexus from a wholesale dealer who bought it in Hollywood CA. They were able to look up all service records for me.

As for the tranny/o2/overdrive questions; Yes, this is a feature. It assists the engine in warming up as well as prevents you from going into overdrive when the RX isn't quite ready. I moved from Oregon to Denver Colorado and I'm noticing it a lot more. I always wait a couple of minutes or until the heater kicks in on auto mode before starting my commute.

Best of luck and welcome aboard!

Hando
Old 11-05-02, 09:37 PM
Turbo_Tim
Driver School Candidate

Thanks very much too you, Handogen and CK1_Rx3 your replies are a welcome relief since I plan a 1200 mile trip Friday. One less thing to worry about!

BTW in the post thet CK1_RX3 refered me to therre was an excellent response to my question. (thanks CK1_RX3!) I am relieved to know this is normal operation.

Thanks to all, and thanks for the warm welcome!
Old 11-06-02, 10:45 AM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

No problem! I've gotten so much from this place since I came here a few months ago it's unreal. Best website I've ever found. Period.
Enjoy your RX3 and Club Lex - you'll be moddin in no time!