RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Brakes and rotors

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-12, 02:35 PM
Stemmer
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vietalogy
Has anyone gone to Midas for breaks and rotor? Toyota wants around $250 per axle and I'm sure Lexus wants double. Was wondering if Midas was ok because their prices are cheaper?
I had both my front and rear pads replaced and rotors machined several months back. Same as you Toyota wanted $250 per axle and the Midas by me wanted $220 per axle. For $30 I was going to go with Toyota when luckily my local Lexus dealer had a service special of $250 from regular price of $350 and I got a 2-day 2012 loaner and wash included. My recommendation is check for service specials with Lexus/Toyota and try to go with them and OEM materials unless there really is a big price difference. I will say the braking is amazing since I changed, of course I apparently was down to 2/32 front and back.
Old 06-06-12, 04:38 PM
salimshah

Received 1,098 Likes on 988 Posts

Originally Posted by ecoastkid
My dopey sister and bro in law took their landcruiser into a toyota dealership and paid almost 3 grand for brakes all the way around...I was so annoyed at them for not calling me. I just hope they are gold lined or something.

As for your parts....

For pads, dont get the cheapo "silver" or mid grade pads...I've had more of the material fall of the backing plate then I care to admit. One day I had light bulb go off and started to buy the most expensive pad they carried in stock...price dif is usally less then 50 bucks more but I no longer have any problems. 50 bucks is nothing for some piece of mind over several years. Adavanced use to sell the Bendix which I liked and now they have Wagner for their premium brand. Also has worked out well for me.

On rotors, I dont buy that OEM is the only way to go but I dont get the cheapys either. I sort of follow my reasoning on the pads although I never acutally had problems with the cheapys. I try to stick with bendix or brembo (yeah they make oem style stuff for resonable prices..lol).

Like mentioned earlier, check for online coupons for advanced auto. Buy online and pickup at the store. Your other option for decent prices is Rockauto.com.
Landcruiser is a monster and it has huge wear and tear on brakes. Minor problem of by not replacing the pads in a timely fashion can end up creating lots of problem. Back in late 90's there were not enough choices, but I stayed away from LC because of its weight and then RX was introduced by Lexus. I am glad I waited.

Salim
Old 06-07-12, 07:20 AM
ecoastkid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stemmer
I had both my front and rear pads replaced and rotors machined several months back. Same as you Toyota wanted $250 per axle and the Midas by me wanted $220 per axle. For $30 I was going to go with Toyota when luckily my local Lexus dealer had a service special of $250 from regular price of $350 and I got a 2-day 2012 loaner and wash included. My recommendation is check for service specials with Lexus/Toyota and try to go with them and OEM materials unless there really is a big price difference. I will say the braking is amazing since I changed, of course I apparently was down to 2/32 front and back.
Want them to feel even better? Change your brake fluid. You will be astonished at the difference.

I never used to do this until I started road racing and was amazed the first time I did it. Changed it in all my cars and trucks and the dif is incredable.
Old 06-07-12, 10:10 PM
trips1
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have any mechanical ability at all, you can do your own brake job. Very simple job. I personally dont trust any of the garages around me and only visit them for things I absolutely do not have the tools to do
Never changed brake pads or rotors on my RX300 by myself and getting some encouragement from this thread. Last time i was burned by Midas really bad.

I need to change my front brake pads and rotors.
Please can someone help clarify if i need anything else other than the following:
- Front rotors (thinking of getting RAYBESTOS Part # 96820R Professional Grade)
- Front brake pads (Bought Monroe CX707 Ceramic Premium Brake Pad )
- Wrench to open various bolts

Few questions:
Do i need to bleed the brake fluid after changing the rotors and brake pads?
Do i need some brake pad SHIM kit. Unfortunately i don't know what these are.

Thanks,
Trips
Old 06-07-12, 11:34 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts

You don't need to bleed the brakes (but it's a good idea if the fluid is more than a few years old).

You don't need a shim kit. The pads that you bought will come with the shims (probably already attached to the back of the pads). You will reuse the pad support plates which are the little shims that the pads ride on. Normally you can just clean them up and put them back on. The brakes on this car area VERY easy to work on. No reason to be intimidated at all. Pick up some disk brake lube so you can grease the slides, the back of the pads and the support plates.
Old 06-07-12, 11:42 PM
salimshah

You can choose any after market, but I suggest stick to OEM. They may may not be the best of bread, but they perform adequately for day to day driving. If you have not worked on brakes before, why add unknown in the mix [many people have been sold wrong after market rotors.

Buy couple of more things,
Brake-pad grease [this you dont buy from Lexus/Toyota]
Brake rotor/drum cleaner [spray can]
Gloves.
Turkey baster [I use Turkey injector ... same thing people use to inject horses ... I use the suck-action instead ot inject]
4" (3" might work) C clamp.
Twine or wire to support the caliper.

Can of fresh brake fluid and a helper in case you want to bleed/flush the current brake fluid.

Regarding shims and boots, you have to examine the ones that come off. Torn or about to tear boots should be replaced. Remember the direction and location of shims as they come off. You can clean them and reuse after applying a thin coating of the brake grease.

Remember to pair up inner and outer pads. I once assembled one side with two outer pads

Only one bolt of the caliper needs to be removed and moveable assembly swings up on the other bolt. Use the "C" clamp to push the piston in and keep an eye on the reservoir as the displaced fluid will run back up [use the baster to keep level between 1/3 or higher and keep sucking away the rest.

Note: some folks use the bleeder to dispel the fluid. I dont as I worry that I will introduce air in the system. When new pads are installed, I always flush the old fluid out.

Salim
Old 06-08-12, 08:11 AM
jbl-1985
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

My dopey sister
That's hilarious. It's the same way I refer to MY sister..
Old 06-08-12, 11:46 AM
ecoastkid
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
You can choose any after market, but I suggest stick to OEM. They may may not be the best of bread, but they perform adequately for day to day driving. If you have not worked on brakes before, why add unknown in the mix [many people have been sold wrong after market rotors.

Buy couple of more things,
Brake-pad grease [this you dont buy from Lexus/Toyota]
Brake rotor/drum cleaner [spray can]
Gloves.
Turkey baster [I use Turkey injector ... same thing people use to inject horses ... I use the suck-action instead ot inject]
4" (3" might work) C clamp.
Twine or wire to support the caliper.

Can of fresh brake fluid and a helper in case you want to bleed/flush the current brake fluid.

Regarding shims and boots, you have to examine the ones that come off. Torn or about to tear boots should be replaced. Remember the direction and location of shims as they come off. You can clean them and reuse after applying a thin coating of the brake grease.

Remember to pair up inner and outer pads. I once assembled one side with two outer pads

Only one bolt of the caliper needs to be removed and moveable assembly swings up on the other bolt. Use the "C" clamp to push the piston in and keep an eye on the reservoir as the displaced fluid will run back up [use the baster to keep level between 1/3 or higher and keep sucking away the rest.

Note: some folks use the bleeder to dispel the fluid. I dont as I worry that I will introduce air in the system. When new pads are installed, I always flush the old fluid out.

Salim
If you ever sell any car you own...I want to be first in line for it..lol
Old 06-08-12, 11:54 AM
ecoastkid
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by trips1
Never changed brake pads or rotors on my RX300 by myself and getting some encouragement from this thread. Last time i was burned by Midas really bad.

I need to change my front brake pads and rotors.
Please can someone help clarify if i need anything else other than the following:
- Front rotors (thinking of getting RAYBESTOS Part # 96820R Professional Grade)
- Front brake pads (Bought Monroe CX707 Ceramic Premium Brake Pad )
- Wrench to open various bolts

Few questions:
Do i need to bleed the brake fluid after changing the rotors and brake pads?
Do i need some brake pad SHIM kit. Unfortunately i don't know what these are.

Thanks,
Trips
I've done brakes on 10's if not 100's of cars but not on an RX300 so there is one part I'm not sure of but hopefully someone can chime in on (or they already did and I missed it). You need to push the caliper pistons back in. To do this, you either compress it in with a c-clamp or other device or you twist them back in. They sell a cheap tool to use with a 3/8" ratchet for this although I usually get away with needle nose plyers stuck in the holes.

I noticed you are getting ceramic pad on the rear. Are the ones on the front ceramic as well? I honestly dont know if matters if its mixed but its just food for thought.
Old 06-08-12, 02:09 PM
salimshah

It is a straightforward push on the piston. You do not need any special tool (no spiral action). In a pinch you can do without the C clamp and use long screwdriver wedging in carefully (in case it slips).

Buy the C clamp.

Salim
Old 06-08-12, 02:15 PM
salimshah

Oops never answered this question
"Do i need to bleed the brake fluid after changing the rotors and brake pads?"

If you take care and not introduce air then you need not. [do not loosen the bleeder valve and let the fluid travel up. [I wont argue that contaminated fluid will work its way back]. Once new pads are in, you can pump and bleed through the bleeder valve with an assistant [once again taking care that you do not introduce air ... by closing the bleeder valve before lifting the pressure off the brake pedal and making sure the reservoir is atleast 1/3 full at all times.

Salim
Old 06-08-12, 02:16 PM
LexusVTS44
Driver School Candidate

Everyone here always complains about price...Listen, you did not buy a pile of crap, you bought a Lexus. Do you surmise that a Ferrari owner complains about the price of an oil change or brake job. They do not. Lexus OEM parts are better for your Lexus than anything else. You have to watch out for a lot of aftermarket parts, they probably will not last as long. If your pads and rotors lasted this long, just put the same ones back on, they will last the same amount of time. If you like eBay rotors and pads, get ready for the likely rotor warp and squeaky brakes. If you buy a nice car, put nice parts back on.
Old 06-08-12, 10:49 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by LexusVTS44
Everyone here always complains about price...Listen, you did not buy a pile of crap, you bought a Lexus. Do you surmise that a Ferrari owner complains about the price of an oil change or brake job. They do not. Lexus OEM parts are better for your Lexus than anything else. You have to watch out for a lot of aftermarket parts, they probably will not last as long. If your pads and rotors lasted this long, just put the same ones back on, they will last the same amount of time. If you like eBay rotors and pads, get ready for the likely rotor warp and squeaky brakes. If you buy a nice car, put nice parts back on.
That's a bit harsh and cruel. Let's not get into that debate.

Salim
Old 06-09-12, 05:52 AM
CharBaby
Rookie

$250/axel is cheap for an RX! But, what exactly are you getting?

I just replaced the whole Parking Brake Cable system(3 cables, brackets, nuts/bolts, shoes, spring kit) All 4 rotors pads for <$500. But, it takes some time!

I just did my 2nd full brake job on my wifes '01 RX awd. It's not a tough job, just take some time.
The first job was with Brembo rotors/Akebono Pro-Act Ceramic in 2006
The second is with Wagner rotors/Centric Posi-Quiet Ceramic this Memorial Weekend 2012 w/P-Brk Cbls.

If doing the job yourself, buy quality parts/name brand(s) by price. I can't answer for the Muffler/Brake shops and the quality of their parts as I don't let anyone touch my brakes. Yeah, they're not cheap. For what they want for an axel, I can do the whole job myself and have money for a vacation.
Old 06-11-12, 09:27 AM
ecoastkid
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexusVTS44
Lexus OEM parts are better for your Lexus than anything else.
You have got to be kidding. Granted there are junk parts out there but to say the OEM is the best is a joke. There are plenty of aftermarket parts that are >= to OEM and will save you a bundle.

Do you really think people who buy a lexus should be foolish and just throw their money away?

Quick Reply: Brakes and rotors