RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Brakes and rotors

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-12, 07:29 AM
vietalogy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes and rotors

Has anyone gone to Midas for breaks and rotor? Toyota wants around $250 per axle and I'm sure Lexus wants double. Was wondering if Midas was ok because their prices are cheaper?
Old 06-04-12, 08:23 AM
salimshah

Received 1,072 Likes on 965 Posts

When it comes to chains, one local experience is hardly applicable at other locations.

Which ever place you go, the issue will be OEM vs nonOEM parts. Lexus/Toyota will tend to stick with OEM. Labor rates will make a difference (and dont discount the free rental if it matters).

All shops these days will turn or replace the rotors. Which at times is an overkill but is deemed necessary to get NO COMPLAINTS.

Replacing the pads is very simple DIY and replacing the rotors is easy too.

Salim
Old 06-04-12, 11:30 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 190 Likes on 160 Posts

I have almost 70K on my rotors since they were resurfaced last time. I have never had a set of rotors last this long. When I did the pads I did not resurface again since I have no vibration in the wheel when the brakes are applied. If you have no vibration, just replace the pads. I know some will disagree. Very easy job. But to your question. If they are just going to resurface OEM rotors and put some pads on, there is no reason Midas can't do the job. Very easy job and not too technical. I would not let them replace the rotors with aftermarket. I have had nothing but bad luck with these and have returned to OEM every time.
Old 06-04-12, 11:41 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I would not let Midas workers anywhere near my car. Most workers there are not competent enough to do a proper oil change, no way in hell they are touching my brakes.

But, I agree with Salimshah that when it comes to chain stores, it really depends on that specific location.
Old 06-04-12, 01:26 PM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Midas is as bad as going to Jiffy Lube or Walmart for oil changes!
Old 06-04-12, 01:47 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 190 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnLX300
You're joking right? I have an RX with 156K and an SC with 78K and I go to Jiffy Lube and Walmart all the time for oil changes. What the hell is wrong with that. Oil is oil and it don't take a rocket scientist to change it. Some people are just snobs.
Old 06-04-12, 02:04 PM
ecoastkid
Driver School Candidate

If you have any mechanical ability at all, you can do your own brake job. Very simple job. I personally dont trust any of the garages around me and only visit them for things I absolutely do not have the tools to do
Old 06-04-12, 05:37 PM
jbl-1985
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnLX300
Honestly, I blew up a tire on my ES300 and didn't want to spend a fortune on a new set. Was nearing having to replace all 4 anyway so got a good deal on 4 new ones installed for $330.

Really debated on going to WM but decided to take a chance. The tires are decent and they balanced them perfectly, which is what I was most concerned about.

No complaints here.
Old 06-05-12, 05:51 PM
bcg02
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Extremely easy job. Just did it last week. Rotors and thermoquiet pads for $110 out the door from advance auto parts. If you have one in your area- do a search for the $50 off $150 coupon code for online purchases.

Took about an hour total, and that included probably 30 mins of messing around.
Old 06-05-12, 06:26 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

To change pads requires a 12 mm socket. Just one bolt, and the caliper swings up.

I've worked on many a brake system, and this is truly amazing in its simplicity.

Why are you replacing rotors? Unless they're 'pulsing' when using the brakes, they're fine. I did have to put new ones on my wife's 2002 after she bought it in '04, 'cause the original owners lived in the mountains, and they were warped badly. Had 'em turned once, they warped shortly thereafter.

I forgot which ones I put on there, but they weren't OEM. This was about 70K miles ago, not problem one.

Then again, we got about 98K out of the front pads, 104K out of the rears (which had an easy 10K left on them), so Princess is driven gently.

Last edited by mckellyb; 06-09-12 at 08:59 AM. Reason: typo which changed meanings
Old 06-05-12, 07:46 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 315 Likes on 274 Posts

$250 per axle at a dealership isn't bad (in this case, Toyota - yes, you are right, Lexus wuill charge a LOT more for the same parts). Check how much more it will be to replace the rotors vs turning them. I've been surprised in the past that there wasn't much difference.
Old 06-06-12, 06:38 AM
vietalogy
Rookie

Thanks all, I will do them myself with help from father law he has all the tools. I called Lexus just to see how much and they wanted $425 per axle man that's legal robbery.
Old 06-06-12, 06:40 AM
vietalogy
Rookie

For parts should I go with napa or cheaper route with advance or autozone? Most likely I will replace rotors while I'm doing the breaks?
Old 06-06-12, 07:19 AM
dbui
Driver

Originally Posted by vietalogy
Thanks all, I will do them myself with help from father law he has all the tools. I called Lexus just to see how much and they wanted $425 per axle man that's legal robbery.
Welcome to Lexus Stealer yup! I called for lexus to replace 4 new brakes and rotors, quote for $1600-$1800
Old 06-06-12, 09:02 AM
ecoastkid
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dbui
Welcome to Lexus Stealer yup! I called for lexus to replace 4 new brakes and rotors, quote for $1600-$1800
My dopey sister and bro in law took their landcruiser into a toyota dealership and paid almost 3 grand for brakes all the way around...I was so annoyed at them for not calling me. I just hope they are gold lined or something.

As for your parts....

For pads, dont get the cheapo "silver" or mid grade pads...I've had more of the material fall of the backing plate then I care to admit. One day I had light bulb go off and started to buy the most expensive pad they carried in stock...price dif is usally less then 50 bucks more but I no longer have any problems. 50 bucks is nothing for some piece of mind over several years. Adavanced use to sell the Bendix which I liked and now they have Wagner for their premium brand. Also has worked out well for me.

On rotors, I dont buy that OEM is the only way to go but I dont get the cheapys either. I sort of follow my reasoning on the pads although I never acutally had problems with the cheapys. I try to stick with bendix or brembo (yeah they make oem style stuff for resonable prices..lol).

Like mentioned earlier, check for online coupons for advanced auto. Buy online and pickup at the store. Your other option for decent prices is Rockauto.com.

Quick Reply: Brakes and rotors