RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Was warned NOT to change my Transmission Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-12, 05:55 PM
Xtom73G
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Carguy 07 is correct. BTWM the original and most heinous culprit of these tranny failures may be the old aluminum panetary gear carrier, which can distort, sending metal filings to plug up valve body, end of tranny. This was replaced by a steel carrier, ending that problem. Failure to change fluid per schedule is the next no no, and heat is a real enemy to any tranny. To my knowledge, this tranny has no "filter", but pulling the pan and looking for metal filings can sure get ones attention. The AWD diff on mine had the filler plug stripped by some incompetent, so I had the plug replaced by a competent human. No wait, that's not correct grammer. A competent human replaced the... no, wait...
Old 06-07-12, 06:29 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 315 Likes on 274 Posts

The RX300 does have a transmission filter. On most models it's a steel "mesh" which won't filter out much of anything other than big chunks of metal (you may not consider that to be a "filter"). The mesh filter is no longer available and it had been replace by a fabric (of sorts) filter which will filter out small particles.
Old 06-07-12, 06:33 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts

There is a strainer/filter in there that can be cleaned or replaced.
Old 06-08-12, 05:09 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

There is a throw away filter (often referred to as paper, but it's not paper) in the newer ones, post-2001, I think, but I plan on replacing the one in my wife's 2002 with a metal mesh one.

I think of it as being environmentally conscious. Plus, I'd rather clean it and see what comes out instead of making a replacement, anyway.
Old 08-08-18, 06:01 PM
ejdossary
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I read all comments from my fellow Club Lexus members. My 2002 RX300 still running well with my periodic transmission fluid changes every 30K miles. Now that I have put high mileage on my vehicle, I tend to agree that the Transmission/Filter needs replacement of my wife's car. Consult your RX300 manual that came with the car to select the proper type of ATF. Good lick to all members reading this Quote.
EJDossary, EE
Old 08-12-18, 01:14 AM
Australian
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Burnt flud is the cause not the problem the problem is caused due to flow and the filter blocking up with shaved metal filings.
Changing the burnt fluid wont help as the new fluid will burn in days.
Old 08-12-18, 08:49 AM
ejdossary
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Changing Transmission Fluid on RX300 is easy. I did it more than once.

Originally Posted by mesostinky
I have a 2002 RX 300 ~95,000mi and called around to gets some quotes on:

Transmission Fluid and Filter change

Front Diff fluid change

Transfer case fluid change

I just had the 90k service done at ~95k and also had the rear diff done at same time(was supposed to do front diff at the same time but that's another story).

Anyway my Lexus dealer specifically said Not to change the Auto Transmission Fluid and Filter because it was supposed to be done every 30k and if you've never done it before to not do it. He said several times now they've changed the fluid for the first time at higher mileages and then not long after the transmission fails. He thinks its because of the way the old and new fluids mix.

I called another mechanic who has a good reputation that I was thinking of trying out and he said the same thing, although worded less strongly. He just said yes it does definitely happen but wouldn't weigh in either way as to if he thought changing the Auto Trans fluid was a good idea or not in my situation. He agreed that its the old and new fluid mixing which can cause big problems.

So basically that leaves me on clueless island... Any thoughts???
III I have changed my RX300 transmission oil more than once. Replacing the filter is more complex which requires removing the pan, the filter three bolt (which require keeping track of their position on the filter), rinsing the filter in clean transmission oil, cleaning the pan with solvent and drying it. Installation: Clean the pan and gasket area on the pan and transmission. Mount the filter's three bolts and torque to 96 in-lbs. For the pan, install the new gasket on the pan with thin layer of adhesive to hold the gasket in place. And finally install the filter and it bolts and tighten in star order. Fill with recommended transmission oil in the owners manual. Check the oil lever in cold area on the DIP stick after starting the car and moving the shift level from Park, Neutral, Drive, L1, and L2. and back to Park. Keep the Engine running and check the oil level again to ensure the oil level did not go down below the lower two notches on the DIP STICK. If Transmission oil level drops, add little at time and recheck!! That's and all you need to do. If you have not done it before, have a friend help that did the transmission oil change before.
Best of Luck,
EJDossary, EE