RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Convert Tape Deck to Aux input

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-12, 05:17 AM
phillyfan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convert Tape Deck to Aux input

Here is a simple project that anyone can do using the existing tape deck. While it is using a cassette adapter and the sound will not be quite like the AUX input being hardwired in, you may find it easier to do and cheaper and the Aux input is in a readily accessible position. I find the sound to be very good (certainly much better than an FM transmitter). It just depends on your Hi-Fi needs.

The first picture shows the final appearance.

To do the project you need.

1. Cassette adapter that can be opened (to shorten cord)
2. Female-Female adapter
3. Face plate (I used Quik Steel to make mine)
4. Soldering equipment.

The first task is to shorten the cord of the cassette adapter so that everything fits behind the face plate when done. There may be an adapter that allows you to retract the cord to a desired length. My Griffin adapter did not. Open up the adapter (5 screws on the Griffin). Take note to the position of the gears inside as you will need to put it back together. Remove the electronic component and note the position of the wires on the board (3rd pic). Remove the solder and cut the cord to a desired length. Mine is about 6 inches outside the adapter (will need about 2 more inches inside adapter). Strip the wires and resolder back on the board in the right positions. Re-assemble the adapter. There are plenty of videos on YouTube on how to solder. If you know someone experienced with soldering enlist their help as this will likely take them 5 mins and it could take you much longer with much frustration and risk damaging the board. Test the sound when done to make sure soldering done properly.

For the face plate I used a product called Quik Steel (available at WalMart for about $5). Use about 1/3 of the tube and thoroughly knead the material to a uniform color. Roll out to a flat strip big enough for the size of the plate (use an index card cut to size as a guide). Use non-stick Reynolds foil to make plate on as you will be able to remove plate from it once hardened (you do not want it permanently bonded to your kitchen island). Trim edges (very easy to do as it is soft for a few minutes). Allow it to harden completely. Sand it as needed. Drill hole to accommodate size AUX adapter. Paint plate to best match radio.

Assembly is very easy once things are done. Just insert cassette adapter, attach female-female converter ($5 at RadioShack). There will be room for it to fit on Right side of cassette opening. Insert other end of converter through hole in face plate. Place faceplate over opening of tape deck.

My plate is at a size that it just fits snug inside and there is nothing else holding it in place (same thing with converter in the opening of the plate, you certainly can glue the converter to the plate though). I have a cradle that is always plugged into the AUX input so I have no need to unplug it. If you will be routinely unplugging from the new input you may want to experiment with clips to more securely hold the plate in place. I would not glue it into position should you need to access tape deck for some reason.

There are likely numerous options for making the plate for the hobbyists out there. This technique requires no equipment other than a drill. Certainly cutting a piece of thick plastic to size and drilling the hole would give an excellent appearance.

I am experimenting with a second plate now to improve on the appearance of the first one.

Obviously to use the Aux input you simply select the 'Tape' button. Everything else is unchanged.

Hope someone may find this helpful.
Attached Thumbnails Convert Tape Deck to Aux input-img_0078-800x600-.jpg   Convert Tape Deck to Aux input-img_0079-800x600-.jpg   Convert Tape Deck to Aux input-img_0001-800x600-.jpg  
Old 06-17-12, 06:13 AM
99rx
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Looks great. Just hope no one hits the eject button by accident.
Old 06-17-12, 07:20 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

X2, Look's pretty clean! I'm sticking with my FM Modulator set-up for now though, it work's pretty well!

Also, add this to the DIY sticky on the main page. I'm sure this will be helpful to others.
Old 06-17-12, 08:35 AM
99rx
Instructor

Originally Posted by hypervish
X2, Look's pretty clean! I'm sticking with my FM Modulator set-up for now though, it work's pretty well!

Also, add this to the DIY sticky on the main page. I'm sure this will be helpful to others.
Lucky you. You can't get a fm transmitter to work down here in Tampa bay. Too many stations clogging up the airwaves.
Old 06-17-12, 08:46 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 99rx
Lucky you. You can't get a fm transmitter to work down here in Tampa bay. Too many stations clogging up the airwaves.
Same here, that's why I use an fm MODULATOR. Here's the link to the post I did on it: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5708053-post11.html
Old 06-17-12, 01:56 PM
99rx
Instructor

Sweet! Might look into this.