RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Nav antenna

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-02, 01:02 PM
paul8801
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nav antenna

I've ordered a Garmin Streetpilot III nav unit to use in my '00 Rx and I want to remote the antenna.

Where does Lexus put the antenna for the '01/'02's w/factory nav and what does it look like?

-Paul
Old 11-13-02, 07:02 PM
paul8801
Driver School Candidate

Well. I'm replying to my own thread because that "0" in the replies column looks so lonely amongst all those other very positive numbers.

I guess no-one knows where the factory GPS antenna is located...

Or maybe I wasn't so polite with the question, so....

Can anyone out there please help me by telling me where the GPS antenna is located on a factory nav equipped RX? Also, if possible, tell me what it looks like (e.g. tracks in the windshield, bump on the roof somewhere, bump stuck on the inside rear window, or whatever).

Or, alternatively, since this my first new thread post on this wonderfully informative forum, just say hello.

-Paul
Old 11-14-02, 07:51 AM
JJ_BPK
Driver School Candidate

Paul

I don't have the nav system but I have install several GPS's on boats..

ALL the GPS's I'v installed with external antennae, use a intelligent unit, in that they are not just a chunk of wire. The smallest was about the size of a flattened golf ball, some as large as a half softball. They need power and have a chip set that does some of the work before it passes the message to the GPS. Also, GPS antennae are sensitive to overhead obstructions: ie: you can't be blocked their sky view.

Given this, I suspect the antenna for the RX300 is in the dash, as far forward as it can fit. They do receive through glass. I have successfully used my Garmin 175 by just letting it sit up on the dash. It's a boat unit, so I am not watching or listening for traffic or route info.

Now your question,, IF you need an external antenna, Garmin has one with a magnetic base that you can snake outside and put on the roof.

I say IF,,, you may find the you have good enough reception without an external antenna???

Good Luck,,

Last edited by JJ_BPK; 11-14-02 at 07:54 AM.
Old 11-14-02, 08:16 PM
paul8801
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, JJ_BPK
A friend installed a Steetpilot on the dash ( not a lexus, tho')without remote antenna and said they had some trouble in some areas, which prompted my questions. I think I'll take your advice and see if I have a problem first. If the location you think likely for the Lexus antenna is true, I won't be in much worse a position, especially if the local antenna is active also.
- Paul
Old 11-14-02, 08:32 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Question Opaque glass?

I've had trouble with the separate nav antenna for my notebook GPS acquiring satellites in urban areas. Recently I went to our local toll road authority for an EZ-tag to automatically bill my tolls on the fly. The clerk had to issue me a special tag to be installed on my front license plate, because the standard-issue tag that mounts on the inside of the windshield cannot be “read” through the Lexus windshield. Wonder if that silver UV film interferes with GPS signals as well as EZ-tags? Anyone have similar experience? What’s Lexus’ solution?
Old 11-14-02, 08:54 PM
RX300TC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Opaque glass?

Originally posted by Lil4X
I've had trouble with the separate nav antenna for my notebook GPS acquiring satellites in urban areas. Recently I went to our local toll road authority for an EZ-tag to automatically bill my tolls on the fly. The clerk had to issue me a special tag to be installed on my front license plate, because the standard-issue tag that mounts on the inside of the windshield cannot be “read” through the Lexus windshield. Wonder if that silver UV film interferes with GPS signals as well as EZ-tags? Anyone have similar experience? What’s Lexus’ solution?
Nonsense... I have a Rx w/Nav and an EZ Pass... no problems whatsoever.

That's unusual Lil... usually they issue the regular EZ Pass first here... only if you have problems do they give you the outside mount ones.

A windshield mount one should work fine for you.

Last edited by RX300TC; 11-14-02 at 08:54 PM.
Old 11-14-02, 10:50 PM
JJ_BPK
Driver School Candidate

I agree, the Lexus windshield is not a problem for me.. As I mentioned, I have used my Garmin on my RX300 dash with no loss of signal...

Additionally,, even if the antenna is on a good spot on the dash,, you could be in an area where some of your satellites are low on the horizon, and behind you,,, allowing the roof to block and/or degrade some of the signal.

It all depends on how much your going to depend on the GPS.

If you were a cruise missile,,, I would want you to have very good reception,,,

If I were looking for my mother-in-laws,,, maybe reception need not be as accurate???

Last edited by JJ_BPK; 11-14-02 at 10:59 PM.
Old 11-15-02, 12:47 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Lightbulb Stargazing tonight...

Thanks for the input! I moved the "earthmate" antenna I normally use on moonroof visor looking up through the heavily tinted moonroof. Moved it to the dashboard, even to the top of the car; with no change in signal strength from any of seven acquired satellites. Dashboard location while producing no improvement in signal, does offer the entertainment value of a reflection of the bright yellow earthmate skittering back and forth across the broad expanse of dash...

The problem seems to relate to RF interference from power lines, street lights, etc. that cuts indicated signal strength 30%. The effect doesn’t seem to relate to acquisition angle. Satellites near 90 deg. overhead are affected similar to those near horizon (sftw displays satellite map, signal strength, data rates). No problems outside urban areas. The system has worked well for four years – with this one shortcoming: it doesn't like cities with a population over 150K. Fortunately, that's not where I use it most. Preamp in antenna is somewhat suspect. I will replace it with next software upgrade.

If Lexus can offer a nav system that can approach the quality and utility of the DeLorme software, I’ll spec it into my ’04 model.
Old 11-15-02, 12:56 AM
salimshah

Received 1,073 Likes on 966 Posts

The yellow color of Earthmate receiver does reflect off the wind shield and is annoying. Attach one or two suction cups to the thing and it will stay put.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 11-15-02 at 12:56 AM.
Old 11-16-02, 12:09 PM
mbmorgan
Driver School Candidate

Default Nav antenna

I have an '01 with factory installed navigation. As far as I can tell, the antenna is hidden away somewhere. Doesn't seem to be out in the open. The manual doesn't mention it's location either.

The DVD ROM is in a black box mounted next to where the jack stores. Could the antenna be there too?

Matt
Old 11-16-02, 12:54 PM
JJ_BPK
Driver School Candidate

HI

I doubt the antenna is in the trunk, but you may be able to trace the wires coming out of the cd unit. The antenna wire is not coaxial, but similar, a thin (3/16"), normally black round cable with 6 or 7 color coded wires.

The metal in the body will block reception, so the antenna is either outside or near the glass....

For a test, you could crank up the Nav and place something think (brief case, metal tray, stack of magazines) on the dash. If you lose satellite lock,, that's where the antenna is... even try walking around the car with a metal garbage can lid, cover what ever you think looks like it might be the antenna and see if you lose sat/lock...

Let us know how you make out,,, Inquiring minds want to know...

A thought,,, are any of the RX300 fenders plastic?? I know the skirts and mud gards are,,, the antenna could be in the wheel well or under the hood, IF it's not metal...
Old 11-16-02, 02:27 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Lexus Nav antenna is in the rear window glass.
Old 12-17-02, 02:08 PM
MarvinCNG
Driver School Candidate

Default Just got the RX300 Workshop manual..

and it shows the factory nav antenna as a small plate (about the size of a cigarette pack) under the front dash, about half-way between the display screen and the windscreen.

I would assume that it recieves the GPS signals thru the glass (as best positioning is from satellites most directly overhead).

And, interestingly, it shows several 'secret' diagnostic modes for both the non-Nav and Nav systems.... These display GPS strengths and vehicle speed info (Nav only) and internal LAN-like addresses of various vehicle components.