RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Windshield Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-02, 04:32 PM
angelsfan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Replacement

My CPO RX had a tiny crack in the windshield when I purchased it 4 weeks ago. The dealer told me it would "break the seal" to replace the windshield. However, after inspecting my CPO papers, it seems the windshield item says replace--not repair. What do you guys think? Should I go back to the dealer about replacement? They did repair it before I took delivery, but it is still visible.
Old 11-18-02, 04:46 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 317 Likes on 275 Posts

How long is the crack? I would try to get them to replace it. Don't go for the "repair" - I had it done on my BMW a couple of years back as I was concerned that they would not be able to get the new windshield "sealed" properly. But it always looked like a crack that had been repaired afterwards (they drill a hole in the outer layer of the windsheild to get the Krazy Glue in). If I had to do it again, I would replace it.

keith
Old 11-18-02, 04:55 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure you get OEM (JDM) replacement window for your RX 300. A longtime member had this done late this past summer.

Hey RX300TC...You out there? How did your install go?

Here's a couple of links:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=55746

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=57168
Old 11-18-02, 07:14 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a windshield put in my dad's LS400 and specified OEM glass, it was something like $800. I too definately reccomend you do this because Lexus uses thicker glass than other car manufacturers on the windshield. I was told by the glass guy that if it were OEM, it would be a lot cheaper but it would be thinner. Plus you'll be sure the tint will match up the same. I had one put in my Explorer by the same guy, and again was going to use OEM glass, but he said not to bother on the Ford.
Old 11-18-02, 09:30 PM
satxrx
Driver

Had one of RX's windshields replaced after an a-hole truck driver decided not to cover the load of gravel and dirt he was trucking down the highway.

After much wrangling and hassle, we ponied up to replace the windshield.

I looked about getting an OEM windshield where the dealership said it would probably be over $1500-2000 just to get it. Insurance wouldn't cover it, either and time frame was over several weeks to get.

Looked into alternative and had an pro auto glass shop come out an replace the windshield for about $300. Thing to be careful about is the mouldings on the side. The installer basically didn't know how to take them out without busting them. So, he busted them we agreed they would buy new ones from the Lexus dealership to replace. Then later had another installer who had replaced glass in RXs come do the work.

Overall though, the glass is indiscernable from OEM - even the shaded area above the rear view mirror.

So my .02 cents is not to worry so much about the glass - check it out before they install it - but worry more that the tech or installer knows how to do it and do a nice, clean and professional job.

good luck.
Old 11-18-02, 09:45 PM
RX300TC
Pole Position

Well, the original question was "should I live with a repaired crack, or ask them to replace the windshield?"

Windshields get replaced in all makes of vehicles, all the time. It's not black magic. On the Lexus they bascially have to order new glass, gaskets, and mouldings. The windshield had to be originally installed at the factory on an assembly line... it's no big deal for a glass place to reinstall one.

If your CPO docs say you are entitled to a new windshield (no cost to you), then I say get a new windshield. The great thing about a Lexus CPO under warranty is that the car could be falling apart and Lexus is obligated to bring it back into factory specs (as long as the problems aren't due to misuse, accident, etc.). That's why I'm seriously considering getting a CPO when I get my next vehicle... let someone else take the depreciation hit.

If you have to pay for it yourself... well... then I'd might look to cut corners. I just had mine replaced and it was over $1000 with the sublet charge and taxes. You pay a sublet because many dealers don't in fact install auto glass and will have to bring in a subcontractor to do it. The upside is that Lexus itself warrants any work done by the dealer. I didn't hesitate getting the work done at the dealer cuz I have full glass coverage on my insurance policy.

If I had to pay for it myself, then one thing I would try is to go directly to a reputable auto glass place and ask them if they can order an OEM (not aftermarket) windshield and warrant the install. That way you are getting Lexus quality parts with a reasonable charge on labor.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

-TC
Old 11-19-02, 09:58 AM
disco_y2k
Pole Position

i had my windshield replaced for about $500.00, if that helps anyone with pricing
Old 11-19-02, 04:31 PM
jime
Driver School Candidate

I am on my 6th windshield on my 95 Acura Legend – lots of reasons including 2 for poor quality glass. What I have learned is that an aftermarket windshield is poorer quality than the OEM, and is more likely to crack under less stress than OEM.

Also, if you don’t get your chip “repaired” within about 48 hours, then it is a wasted effort. As soon as a little dust or grime gets into the chip, the repair material doesn’t stick where it has to flow into the tiny cracks in the glass.
Old 11-19-02, 05:57 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

Originally posted by satxrx

I looked about getting an OEM windshield where the dealership said it would probably be over $1500-2000 just to get it. Insurance wouldn't cover it, either and time frame was over several weeks to get.
They had my OEM Toyota glass in 6 days at $700. His insurance paid for it no problem.

They cannot stop you from using OEM parts, remember? They MUST pay for it.
Old 11-21-02, 03:39 PM
angelsfan
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the responses. My question really is should I take it back to the dealer and make them REPLACE the windshield instead of the repair job that they did. Because my CPO paper says replace instead of repair the windshield. Also, I just got my Lexus survey in the mail and have not filled it out yet. I want to see what you guys think I should do about the windshield.
Old 11-22-02, 10:44 AM
foucco
Rookie

I bought my CPO in January and it had a big dinger in the windsheid. The dealership would only repair it. I wonder if it's too late to get it replaced under CPO warranty given that I have the original "to be done" slip showing that it was there when I bought it? It's still a sore spot for me when I see it.

Where in the CPO manual does it say that? I may try my luck when I have some time to go over there in December. Probably best to do it within the first year...