RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Potential purchase of 2003 rx300...

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-02 | 01:39 AM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Go for the Vapor Blue, silver is the trendy color right now. Just like metallic green was trendy in the 90's.
I'm also a big fan of the Indigo on the RX, although that's a high-maintenance color.
Old 11-24-02 | 01:11 PM
pierce
Rookie

yeah...i'm leaning towards the blue vapor. it's a very nice, unique color. kind of toward the feminine side. but it's ok...my wife will driving it most of the time.

btw...how many people paint the lower part of the rx300 to match the main color?
Old 11-24-02 | 01:59 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

I don't find it feminine at all actually. I wish more Lexus models came in it (the RX, LS, and LX are it). The silver I really like is Alpine silver, its silver with a very slight hint of blue. The current Lexus silver is Millenium Silver, which I think looks horrible. Its got a tan undercoat, and looks more like a tannish cream than a silver, and I really dislike tan cars. Shame too because my favorite color combination is silver with black int.

Last edited by SW03ES; 11-24-02 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-24-02 | 08:00 PM
amontgom
Driver School Candidate

Default RX versus MDX

Pierce -- I, too, am considering both the RX and the MDX. However, my 99 Accord has a lot of life left in it, so I plan to wait until the RX 330 arrives in April to compare the two side-by-side. Although I love the NAV on the MDX, I am concerned that the vehicle would just be too big for my husband and me. Plus, I would only have three spare inches on either side of my garage, which would make it a tight fit. The RX is a great size (fits easily in my garage), and their NAV is at least the second best (per JD Power).

Either way, though, you can't go wrong. If I had to buy now, I would probably go with the 2003 RX, since it is selling at such an awesome price, and I love getting a good deal for my money. Both models are extremely reliable, so whatever you decide, you will make a good decision.

Andi
Old 11-24-02 | 11:28 PM
pierce
Rookie

yeah...i wish i had the luxury to wait and see how the rx330 turns out. although i probably would wait until the 2nd or 3rd year model. i'm not big into 1st year production model. that's why i didn't really consider the xc90 from volvo.

it's really tough to turn down a good deal like i have with the rx300. it's just that some people tell me that it'll be at invoice or below invoice as we move into next year. with the new design...lexus might discount the rx300 even more.

but i don't have the time to wait for that to happen.

at this point...if i was choosing...i would probably go with rx300. but i have to take my wife's opinion into account. she thinks the rx300 isn't as attractive as the mdx. that's her only gripe. she thinks (and i kind of agree) that our friends will make fun of us with the rx300. hehe.
Old 11-25-02 | 12:28 AM
SW03ES
Pole Position

Personally, now this is just MHO, but I think the MDX is one of the uglier vehicles on the road today. It looks like a blown up childrens toy with the little wheels, minivanish stance and odd, odd front end.

And anyways, whoever would make fun of you in the RX should have their head examined. The car isnt the top seller in class for nothing.
Old 11-25-02 | 11:14 AM
pierce
Rookie

hey...that's what i told my wife. i think the look is unique and still fresh. althought he rx330 is probably going to look even better.

as i'm reading more and more info on the rx330...it makes it more appealing.

i would assume if i wait that i would have to pay msrp or near that for the rx330. being a new design. is this true?

with the current rx300...i can get it for $4000 under msrp. that's pretty significant.

i pretty much ruled out the mdx now. just rethinking whether to wait for the rx330 or not. indecisive is my middle name!!
Old 11-25-02 | 09:14 PM
amontgom
Driver School Candidate

Default Pricing

Pierce -- You are right about the pricing for the 2003 RX 330. I'm expecting it to be sold at MSRP, at least for the first six months or so after its release. My brother has a 2001 RX 300 (Silver Sport) that he was only able negotiate down by $2k (and he loves to negotiate). So, a $4k discount is substantial, and should be seriously considered. If you can wait until March or April, I bet that will become even better.
Old 11-28-02 | 03:37 PM
pierce
Rookie

looks like i'll be going with the mdx. while i favor the rx300 slightly...my wife insists on the mdx. both are great vehicles...but my wife prefers the mdx styling over the rx300. since she will be the primary driver...her opinion wins out.

one of the main reasons with considering the rx300 (besides it being a great vehicle) was that it's readily available. in the choice of any color and with nav or not.

the mdx still has a substantial waiting time in my area. but luckily enough...there might be cancellation that we can slip right in to take over.

so it's the set in stone. maybe my wife will change her mind.

btw...the mdx would be a silver 2003 touring with navigation.
Old 11-30-02 | 03:34 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

Well if thats the way its gotta be, then thats the way its gotta be.

Good luck with the MDX!
Old 11-30-02 | 03:38 PM
pierce
Rookie

ok...so i'm a little peeved now. goes to show the difference between acura and lexus sales service.

my salesperson promised to call me friday night...no matter what. if i got the vehicle or not. no word. so i called him today (saturday) and he lets me know there's no mdx available. already sold. ahhhh!! it would have been nice to receive a courtesy call that it was taken already.

only an acura salesperson. lexus would have been more considerate...at least that's my expectation.

if i can convince my wife to now go with the rx300...that would be cool. stay in the lexus family. what to do...what to do.