RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Potential purchase of 2003 rx300...

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-02, 11:59 AM
pierce
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default potential purchase of 2003 rx300...

for the past couple of months...i've been struggling with the decision of what suv to get.

candidates started off at the mdx, xc90, x5, allroad, and rx300.

didn't really consider the rx300 until recently. mainly because of its stigma of being a "girly" and "soccer mom" type of vehicle. i personally don't think so. but because i've been 100% satisfied with my 2002 is300...i decided to look at the rx300. would be nice to keep in lexus family.

after multiple test drives and in-depth research on all the aformentioned vehicles, it came down to the mdx and rx300. i eliminated the xc90 because of first year vehicle and reliability concerns. also...the turbo lag was annoying. i liked the x5, but not worth the money. and i'm not a big bmw fan to begin with. allroad was peppy, but reliability was a concern. and turbo lag evident. also...i've always had japanese vehicles...so i thought i'd keep it that way.

anyways...i've been quoted a competitive price on a brand new 2003 rx300. haven't decided on blue vapor or millenium silver. fully loaded with navigation at $38600. msrp is at $42400. readily available for delivery. i could probably a negotiate a little more off...but dealer claims it's the lowest price at this point.

as for the mdx...it's going msrp still. $41000 for fully loaded with navigation. and i have to wait until late january for delivery.

if the rx300 wasn't coming out with a new 2004 model...i would have bought the 2003 already. i feel like i'm getting a dated product. although it is still really nice. whereas the mdx is still a pretty new model.

opinions? what to do...what to do.

Last edited by pierce; 11-23-02 at 01:27 PM.
Old 11-23-02, 01:28 PM
pierce
Rookie

nobody?
Old 11-23-02, 02:04 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

I can't help you with the decision of whether to get an Acura or a Lexus because my opinion would be biased, but I can tell you that the current RX300 is built in Japan. The new '04 RX330 is going to be built in Canada. Yes, it wil be an all new body style and some major changes, but it's still a Lexus. And it's still a great car! Plus, as you had stated look at all the negotiating possibilities. Acura is still not discounting their car. As for the price you got on the RX300, check around with a couple other dealers first before deciding since it sounds as though you are price sensitive. Good luck!
Old 11-23-02, 02:34 PM
pierce
Rookie

longo lexus-

do you think the deal i received was reasonable? or should it be even lower as the dealers are trying to prep for the new 2004 models?

i've basically decided on the rx300...now i'm looking for the best possible offer. the local dealers i've dealt with have excellent customer service. so it really comes down to pricing.

any ideas of what's the best price at this point for the rx300?
Old 11-23-02, 02:51 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know that Longo Lexus will answer that question out of professional courtesy.

Personally, I think its a fairly good deal, you're talking about almost $4,000 off of Lexus' top selling model. Are you buying or leasing? Did the dealer you talk to have any 2002s left on his lot? Its possible you could find a 2002 left on the lot for more savings since they're unchanged, if you're leasing this wouldnt work though because of the lower residual.

I'm going to find out what invoice and holdback are on that car and I'll post back.

I know what you mean about the new model, I hate it when the manufacturer changes their car right after I've bought one. Thats why I'm waivering about the ES300 and considering doing a low mileage 99 or 00 LS400. I know I already prefer the styling over the new one, and the engine seems the same to me. I'm concerned the ES330 will come out after 10 months and I'll want that!
Old 11-23-02, 02:59 PM
pierce
Rookie

my sentiments exactly. although i'm not someone who needs to have the latest toy...it's always nice to have something new and exciting.

but overall...picking the rx300 seems like the right move. as much as the mdx has going for it...i just wasn't impressed with the drive. felt bulky and heavy. to me...it drove more like an american truck than a luxury suv. rx300 definitely drives smoother and much more car like.

i'm not an off-road type...so all i need is something that rides nicely and does well in rain/snow. it looks like the mdx and rx300 are similar vehicles in that sense.
Old 11-23-02, 03:03 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

Okay, invoice on that car is $37200. Holdback is $750, meaning that they stand to make a profit of $2150. You could negotiate more, but I'd say its a pretty good deal. I'd take it. If you want to negotiate more, have them come down those $400 more to $38200, but whats the point? I'd swallow the $400 and make a friend out of the dealership.
Old 11-23-02, 03:05 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

Plus I think the RX300 is a whole lot better looking that the MDX.

Take it!
Old 11-23-02, 03:06 PM
pierce
Rookie

yeah...that's what i'm worried about. it's the dealer that i service at for my 2002 is300...so i don't want to tick them off. their service department is first-class.

but the other dealer...who is more of a high volume dealer...can probably beat the price. and their service department is first-rate as well...at least from what i've been told.

maybe i'll try to get them to throw some free items in. ideas?
Old 11-23-02, 03:12 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

SW03ES is right, I can't tell you what east coast dealers are selling their cars for. But the price you already have is pretty fair on a rare, full spec car. I suggest calling or emailing 1 or 2 dealers to make sure they have a car in stock and see what they will sell it for. Good luck and let us know what you end up getting.
Old 11-23-02, 03:16 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

MSRP is $42431 and invoice is $37614 by the way. :eek:
Old 11-23-02, 03:56 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

I was offered free maintenance for the first 30,000 miles on an ES. Worth a shot.

It included free oil changesm free 15k and 30k maint.
Old 11-23-02, 05:08 PM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Default Can you wait?

Can you wait until the new RX comes out? Then you can decide between new RX, old RX and MDX (heck throw the GX into the mix too!). I know you have "new model" concerns, but Lexus reliability is probably going to be OK.

I am in a similar situation....I love my RX...but my lease runs out in early Jan and I cant wait...so I pick up my new GX as soon as it arrives.

...then when the new RX comes...we'll see.
Old 11-23-02, 06:51 PM
pierce
Rookie

that's the thing. i can't really wait. my 1993 accord is on its last legs. time to trade it in for a new vehicle.

i went to test drive the mdx again. just to make sure...i was not too fond of it...once again. it felt bulky and cabin noise is still an issue. at least compared to the quiet interior of rx300. the funny thing is...my wife liked driving it more this time around.

the choices...

and then there's the color decision. silver or blue vapor. hmm. navigation or no.

probably get navi...it's pretty cool.
Old 11-24-02, 12:24 AM
SW03ES
Pole Position

I LOVE the blue vapor, its such a neat and unique color. Get that. Silver is everywhere now, its the most popular car color in the industry, the blue vapor is silverish, but has the blue that makes it look unique.

As for the navigation. definately get it. I'm looking at CPO LS's as an alternative to the ES (yeah yeah, I always plan everything to death, I've been shopping for this car for 4 months LOL) and thats really something I'd miss, the navigation. So many times during my daily commute it would come in handy. CPO LS's with the GPS are hard to come by at a good price though.

Quick Reply: Potential purchase of 2003 rx300...