RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

01 RX with oil leak.. Main seal vs Valve cover

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-12, 08:17 AM
TriniLex
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Default 01 RX with oil leak.. Main seal vs Valve cover

2001 Lexus RX300 2wd with 75k miles
Always changed oil on time.

Noticed a small shallow puddle of oil under the engine.
Cleaned up the engine and drove 5 miles and another puddle.

The oil is dripping from the bell housing (I believe that is what it is called) which from what I understand by other posts can either be the rear valve cover or the rear main seal.

Factors to consider.
1. Never had a drip of oil before this weekend.
2. Over the weekend I hit something on the highway which made a noise when I went over it (could have been an old piece of tire) No damage to exhaust or anywhere I can see under there.
3. Changed oil about 500 miles ago to a new oil (Goil: http://www.getg.com/)
4. PCV Valve was a bit wet around it (but the oil is leaking on the opposite side)
5. Car has been well maintained before me. Timing belt changed, spark plugs changed.

Questions:
1. Is it possible to see a leak from under the car if it was leaking from the rear valve cover?
2. I searched for a DIY on the valve cover gasket replacement and no luck. Has anyone seen one?
3. Is it possible that the change in oil or valve cover can cause this leak? (from no leak at all to puddle)

thanks for anyone's help in advance
Old 09-29-12, 01:46 PM
TriniLex
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Default 01 RX with oil leak.. Main seal vs Valve cover

2001 Lexus RX300 2wd with 75k miles
Always changed oil on time.

Noticed a small shallow puddle of oil under the engine.
Cleaned up the engine and drove 5 miles and another puddle.

The oil is dripping from the bell housing (I believe that is what it is called) which from what I understand by other posts can either be the rear valve cover or the rear main seal.

Factors to consider.
1. Never had a drip of oil before this weekend.
2. Over the weekend I hit something on the highway which made a noise when I went over it (could have been an old piece of tire) No damage to exhaust or anywhere I can see under there.
3. Changed oil about 500 miles ago to a new oil (Goil: http://www.getg.com/)
4. PCV Valve was a bit wet around it (but the oil is leaking on the opposite side)
5. Car has been well maintained before me. Timing belt changed, spark plugs changed.

Questions:
1. Is it possible to see a leak from under the car if it was leaking from the rear valve cover?
2. I searched for a DIY on the valve cover gasket replacement and no luck. Has anyone seen one?
3. Is it possible that the change in oil or valve cover can cause this leak? (from no leak at all to puddle)
Old 09-29-12, 02:18 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

1. Yes, it's possible to see a leak from under the car if it's originating from the rear valve cover. When my rear valve cover was leaking I mistook it as a leak from my PS. You can see the picture here : https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6887244-post1.html

2. No DIY instructions, the front valve cover is a piece of cake. The rear is a pain, but not impossible.

3. Yes, and no. A different oil can cause a leak but not something that would cause a puddle.

You mention that you had an oil change 500 miles ago. Are you sure this isn't old oil from that ridiculously placed oil filter? Which when removed spills oil all over the front engine mount and then runs down the frame, and makes it seem as though you have a leak.
The following users liked this post:
tiguy99 (03-02-20)
Old 09-29-12, 02:53 PM
Bobster999
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

You need to crawl under it and have a look. If you can, jack it up a bit but use safety first. You may have damage from hitting something on the road. Either way tho you can see where the oil is coming from if you get under there. Theres not much room tho.