RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX300 Air Mode Servo removal made easy

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-19, 11:24 PM
rmk9785e
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default No cold air from passenger side vents

Originally Posted by salimshah
Same thread post #75 #79

Salim
Thank you for guiding me to the other servos. Which one of these may be responsible for there being no cold air coming from the passenger side vents even when the cold air is coming from all other vents? The passenger side vents are blowing warm air. Are the three servos different and if so, where can I look up the correct part number for the servo that I should be replacing?
Old 07-22-19, 01:20 PM
salimshah

Received 1,050 Likes on 948 Posts

I am stumped ... first gen does not have independent temp control for driver/passenger.

There must be something else going on ... that may require tracing the duct work.

Salim
Old 07-22-19, 01:44 PM
rmk9785e
Driver

Originally Posted by salimshah
I am stumped ... first gen does not have independent temp control for driver/passenger.

There must be something else going on ... that may require tracing the duct work.

Salim
There's not much hope for me if even you are stumped. My passenger is not going to be happy with warm air in this hot California weather.
I've seen many others posting the same issue where the 2 passenger side vents are delivering warmer air compared to the 2 vents on the driver side and 2 vents in the middle for the rear seats but I haven't seen a resolution.
Can someone please point me to any documentation where I can find and trace the duct work?
Old 07-23-19, 03:54 PM
salimshah

Received 1,050 Likes on 948 Posts

Originally Posted by rmk9785e
There's not much hope for me if even you are stumped. My passenger is not going to be happy with warm air in this hot California weather.
I've seen many others posting the same issue where the 2 passenger side vents are delivering warmer air compared to the 2 vents on the driver side and 2 vents in the middle for the rear seats but I haven't seen a resolution.
Can someone please point me to any documentation where I can find and trace the duct work?
You are over estimating my skills and under estimating yours.

Just follow the plastic duct work ... it sure can help when the dash is opened up. If I run into a picture of opened up dash I will link it for you.

Salim
Old 07-25-19, 06:25 PM
rmk9785e
Driver

Originally Posted by chenxingha

I am stuck at loosening the top screw pointed by the RED arrow in the photo. There is less than a finger space between the screw top and the 2 aluminium tubes which are running in parallel with no gap between the 2 tubes.

I need advice about getting this screw off.

Thank you.
As others have pointed out, there is about 1/2" clearance between the servo and the aluminum hot water tubes. It's practically impossible to get a ratchet or angled/offset screw drivers in there. Moreover, it looks like the upper servo has only 2 screws, one at the top and the other holding the white air pathway. The third corner appears empty.
Is it safe to try to bend these pipes somewhat to make room for a ratchet or other tool to get in to remove the top screw of the second servo?
Old 08-10-19, 05:15 PM
rmk9785e
Driver

I have both servos out and will attempt to service them as described in many fine guides above. While the servos are out, I tried to manually move the damper levers to see if I can get any cold air to the passenger side vents. None worked. That confirms my problem is not with the servos. I'll service them anyway but the mystery still remains, I don't think I've the ability or know how to safely remove the dashboard and then put it back together.
Is the repair manual available online anywhere to trace the path of air ducts?

Last edited by rmk9785e; 08-10-19 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-11-19, 07:20 PM
Phil01
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replace both servos today and it was a lot easier than I expected. The screw behind the piping were easy using a short small straight screw driver because with that you can turn a Phillips head screw fairly easily. I worked on this yesterday for about an hour and this morning for an hour and all works good now.

After the servos I replace the antenna mast because when I got the car the tail piece was gone. This project was a pain in the ***. The tail on the new mast would not line up with the hole in the base of the mast sleeve so I everything had to come apart. This toke longer than the servos.
Old 08-11-19, 08:28 PM
Phil01
Pit Crew

I bought the servos that I used from Rock Auto and they showed a third servo. Is there actually a third servo? I think it is supposed to select between outside air and recirculated air. The third servo that they show is labeled as for the recirculating damper. Anyone know anything about this.

Last edited by Phil01; 08-12-19 at 06:52 PM.
Old 10-12-19, 11:45 AM
raysham
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil01
I bought the servos that I used from Rock Auto and they showed a third servo. Is there actually a third servo? I think it is supposed to select between outside air and recirculated air. The third servo that they show is labeled as for the recirculating damper. Anyone know anything about this.

Try to look for one near the blower motor once you has removed the glove box.
Old 12-27-19, 02:30 AM
teekaytk
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb

Hi all

Did a video for UK version of the car. Hope it is helpful!

Lexus RX 300 330 400h UK version fix ventilation AC direction mode motor servo

Old 04-07-21, 01:14 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by GroovyMom
Thanks everyone who has posted in this section! After 2 years with no heat in my 2002 Lexus RX300, I found and ordered a mix servo from Amazon. My 18 year old daughter, who can do anything once she sees it on you tube, took apart the "guts" after I removed the glove box. She replaced by dead mix servo with the new one and voila, we have heat!!!! Just in time for our cold spell. Thanks again folks!

(she also removed a full size sheet of paper from the blower motor which solved our noise problem.)
Same here no heat

I am confused so many Servos

i have two problems

1) loud random clicking noise

2) no heat randomly

if I could figure out two part numbers I would just order two new Servos
Old 04-07-21, 01:28 PM
matthewlsw
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanSC300lover
Same here no heat

i have two problems

2) no heat randomly

This is the one I used to replace the passenger floor servo
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OAJO6E8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OAJO6E8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 04-07-21, 02:04 PM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 259 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanSC300lover
Same here no heat

i have two problems

2) no heat randomly

see: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ml#post9254633
Old 05-01-21, 04:56 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by maxSteel
Thanks . Ordering air mix and mode, and replacing both.
Old 05-29-22, 12:27 PM
billmartin
2nd gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RX300 Mode Servo Replacement

I just replaced the Mode Servo in my 2003 RX300. I installed the Dorman 604-917. Tips on the thread were very helpful, especially using hose as a screw starter for the 3rd hidden screw. Problem is the plastic tip on the cam of the servo strikes the cam on the HVAC assembly when going n and out of Defrost vent. It makes a distinct pop when the 2 cams touch. It appears the servo is about 1mm too short. Is this an installation issue or an off spec aftermarket part?
The following users liked this post:
Margate330 (05-29-22)

Quick Reply: RX300 Air Mode Servo removal made easy