RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Possible Transmission failure - advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-12 | 08:24 AM
Dadikins
Pole Position

Default Possible Transmission failure - advice

I have a 2002 RX-300, Coach Edition, 177k miles, and may have a very difficult choice to make in the next few hours, and am appreciating some advice from others who have had similar experiences.

Car was originally my wife's, now is mine - so it has always been in the same family. Mechanically in excellent shape, with original engine & tranny. Cosmetically, in very good shape. Regular maintenance performed at Toyota dealership every 5k.

Car wasn't running quite right on the highway this morning - seemed slow to shift. Was around 45 degrees this morning, and car doesn't shift into overdrive until it warms up, so I didn't think much of it. But this was different - had trouble shifting into third.

Pulled off the highway after around 2 miles onto side road for another 2 miles or so. Pulled in to get my morning coffee. Transmission slippage. After I parked, could see lots of red (yes, it still looked red) tranny fluid pouring out of vehicle.

After I got my coffee, wanted to move vehicle to more easily accessible spot in lot, so tow truck could get to it. Moved around 3 feet in reverse then stopped. Did not try forward gears. Called AAA to have it towed to Toyota dealership.

Hopefully I just blew a seal or something not-too-serious. But if I didn't & it is the tranny itself, I have a difficult decision to make.

Towing to a Toyota dealer may not have been the wisest thing to do, but I didn't know where else to bring it where I might get an honest assessment of what is going on with it.

Assuming the transmission is shot...

Does anyone know of any REPUTABLE transmission shops in Massachusetts that rebuild/repair trannies on the RX? I know that I'll be charged a fortune at a Toyota/Lexus dealership, so if the tranny is shot, I would want to bring it elsewhere.

Is it worth repairing/replacing the transmission based on vehicle age/mileage & what the car may now be worth?

I also figure that I wouldn't be able to sell it for much more than pocket change with a blown tranny.

Any advice is appreciated
Old 11-01-12 | 09:41 AM
JAB
Instructor

Your problem description is not typical for how these fail. I don't recall anyone else describing a leak of fluid. When mine failed, the initial symptom was a delayed engagement into reverse. Then a week or so later it became slow to shift, then slipped, then failed altogether. Had it towed to a Toyota dealership and probably saved myself some money compared to a Lexus dealer. Trying to find an independent to rebuild it - if in fact that is what is necessary - may be difficult. Hopefully the Toyota dealership will be honest with you and say whether all it requires is a seal rather than a replacement.
Old 11-01-12 | 11:00 AM
Dadikins
Pole Position

Thank you for your reply JAB.

I just heard back from the Toyota dealership. There is a significant line breakage. He was able to drive the car in the lot once it had cooled down, so he is fairly certain that the transmission is ok.

He is estimating that there is 1-2 quarts of fluid left in the car - and what is there is cherry red, with no signs of burning.

To repair is approx $600 there - more than what I would have expected from a line break - but a small price to pay to ensure that the job is done right at someone who knows Lexus vehicles & a dealer whom I trust. In any case, a heck of a lot less than needing to replace the tranny!

Car should be ready this evening - will post a follow-up once I have it back in my possession.
Old 11-01-12 | 11:28 AM
JAB
Instructor

Please provide us with as accurate a description as possible as to the specific line that ruptured. Gen1 RX like ours are notorious for corroded appearing lines running from the transmission to the cooler and back, just under the radiator. Many people replace them because they 'look bad' but I've never actually heard of one failing. If that is in fact what happened to yours, then it should be a lesson to the rest of us that they can in fact fail.
Old 11-01-12 | 05:59 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JAB
Please provide us with as accurate a description as possible as to the specific line that ruptured. Gen1 RX like ours are notorious for corroded appearing lines running from the transmission to the cooler and back, just under the radiator. Many people replace them because they 'look bad' but I've never actually heard of one failing. If that is in fact what happened to yours, then it should be a lesson to the rest of us that they can in fact fail.
+1, sounds like it as one of the cooling lines for the transmission.
Old 11-02-12 | 05:39 AM
Dadikins
Pole Position

It was the return feed that leads back from the transmission cooler. So yes, they can give way.

According to the dealership, the other feed was in good shape.

I have driven the car for around 40 miles after I picked it up (including another 45-degree morning). Knock on wood, shifting smoothly & seems to be running very well. :-)

Service adviser yesterday was very impressed in the overall condition of the vehicle.

I can consider myself lucky that there was no apparent damage to the transmission, and that the Toyota dealership on the Automile (those of you in Massachusetts know who I'm talking about) were honest in their assessment in what was wrong.

So I can proudly say:

2002AWD
Coach Edition
177,560 miles
*ORIGINAL* engine & transmission
Old 11-02-12 | 05:53 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

So what did they charge to replace the line?
Old 11-02-12 | 07:59 PM
Dadikins
Pole Position

Originally Posted by carguy07
So what did they charge to replace the line?
$625 for the entire job. Yes, I know that I probably could have gotten it done cheaper elsewhere - and had I known that the line would have given way, I may have shopped around.

But $625 is still a heck of a lot cheaper than having to replace/rebuild the transmission.
Old 11-02-12 | 08:20 PM
salimshah

The charge should include transmission service too, which is not cheap at dealership.

Salim
Old 11-03-12 | 01:10 AM
Australian
Advanced

What you were paying for was the diagnosis. I would assume it is blocked when there is trouble changing but to find it was the lines is somthing that would have taken time as the transmission service would have been first then after that failed it was noted the line was corroded. Ether way still good to go and still a cheap bill for a mechanic they love using the extra digits.
Old 11-03-12 | 03:56 AM
ADKLEXUS
Driver School Candidate

Glad I replaced my cooler lines when I bought my RX. They also "looked bad." Seems to be a spot where road grime collects. They use lots of salt on the roads where I live.
Old 11-03-12 | 06:39 AM
Bobster999
Intermediate

My lines are fine. Must be a Northern Thang!!!
Old 11-03-12 | 07:02 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

My lines aren't perfect, but I think they are fine for now. I'll show them to my uncle next time I see him, and confirm with him if it's safe to keep the lines as is, if not I will replace them.
Old 11-03-12 | 07:52 AM
salimshah

At least once a year, each vehicle needs to be thoroughly examined from underneath. I know with plastic shields, things are covered up ... but should be done as vehicle ages. There is an immense value in doing a visual. [if you get a window seat on a plane, you can see the flight engineer walk around the plane in good or bad weather.

Salim.
Old 11-03-12 | 08:13 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by salimshah
At least once a year, each vehicle needs to be thoroughly examined from underneath. I know with plastic shields, things are covered up ... but should be done as vehicle ages. There is an immense value in doing a visual. [if you get a window seat on a plane, you can see the flight engineer walk around the plane in good or bad weather.

Salim.
+1, I usually inspect every season. It doesn't take long to inspect and it can pay off big time if you find something amiss.

Generally, I lay on the ground and crawl around to take a look at things. But, I'm getting the RX up onto a lift sometime next week at my uncle's shop as I want to change out my rear diff, transfer case fluids and may change out the front flex pipe as well. I will get a chance to inspect things more thoroughly while it's up on the lift.