RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Timing Belt Service - Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-12, 12:07 PM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Other than the visual check on the hydraulic tensioner pin, one must do the test ... specified in the service manual. Salim
The FSM for my 99 said only to replace if leaking oil, If I recall correctly.
Old 11-15-12, 07:19 PM
saudiboy
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are my thoughts on replacement of various things related to t-belt on RX300. Please note these are just my suggestions and there is no long-term analysis done by me, People should consult Lexus.

T-belt 95kmiles
water pump 190k miles (using Toyota coolant)
ideller 95k
tensioner & tensioner roller 190k
Cam seals 190k

Salim
When I'm on the part website, I find everything but the ideller and the tensioner roller (the tensioner pulley is there). Are the called something else, spelled another way or part of another part?
Old 11-15-12, 07:37 PM
salimshah

Received 1,050 Likes on 948 Posts

Originally Posted by artbuc
The FSM for my 99 said only to replace if leaking oil, If I recall correctly.
There is more:
push test: The pin should not move if you push on the housing (keep the pin facing up)
protrusion: 10.0-10.8 mm

Salim
Old 11-15-12, 07:38 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by saudiboy
When I'm on the part website, I find everything but the ideller and the tensioner roller (the tensioner pulley is there). Are the called something else, spelled another way or part of another part?
I call them as idler pulley and tension roller.

Lexus calls them

idler pulley no1 & no2. [No1 is the one pushed by tensioner]

Sorry for causing confusion [may be Lexus terminology is more confusing :^)]

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 11-15-12 at 07:44 PM.
Old 11-15-12, 11:48 PM
AppleLEX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

noob question...does Toyota dealer service Lexus RX300? or go straight to Lexus dealer? Thanks!
Old 11-16-12, 12:48 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AppleLEX
noob question...does Toyota dealer service Lexus RX300? or go straight to Lexus dealer? Thanks!
Depends on the dealer. They are certainly capable since the mechanicals of both are quite similar. Some will freely work on Lexus and others will reduse to do so. It may have to do with whether they have the same owner and he doesn't want to siphon work from the more expensive Lexus shop or whether he's been told or encouraged by Toyota to keep hands off of the Lexus work. He may feel loyalty to Lexus and do the "hands off" on his own.. Some do the "fair" thing and take whatever T/L work that comes in the driveway. Only way to find out is call the local Toyota dealer and ask. You'll be money ahead if he does.
Old 11-16-12, 01:58 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts

There is more:
push test: The pin should not move if you push on the housing (keep the pin facing up)
protrusion: 10.0-10.8 mm

Salim
Right, I do remember that now although I do not think of it as a test procedure, per se. Have you ever seen one of these hydraulic piston tensioners fail?
Old 11-16-12, 07:58 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by artbuc
Right, I do remember that now although I do not think of it as a test procedure, per se. Have you ever seen one of these hydraulic piston tensioners fail?
The 6000 odd postings here does not mean I have wealth of experience. I can count the number of cars that I have owned and serviced as my own on my fingertips. I am certain that lot of others (including, you) know lot more than what I know. That is why I value every post.

There has been one post about the tensioner failing. Wear on this part is dependent on driver's habit of revving the engine and wear on the tip. Larger kits (not just the basic belt), include this offering. And I wanted to make the list of things to consider as comprehensive as I could.

I dont intend to give up on my RX for a while, so I am seriously considering replacing some things premptively @190k (2 pulleys, tensioner, cam-seals and water-pump ... only pulley2 was replaced at 90k). This is just my gut call

Salim
Old 11-16-12, 09:15 AM
saudiboy
Pit Crew

The Toyota dealer in LA told me to go to Lexus on a fuel pump (I was going to do it myself, but didn't have the time and my body shop guy did it for a third of Lexus' ask). I'm sure I'm not the first. Clearly, they have an understanding.

If anyone has found a mechanic they love in Los Angeles, I'd love the recommendation.
Old 11-19-12, 10:26 AM
AppleLEX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got a quote from Lexus dealer for a timing belt. My car is at 95,000 miles. This my DD.

$850
Timing Belt
Drive belt
water pump

Toyota dealer
$750 ball park

I might just do it myself.....Watching the youtube video...
Old 11-23-12, 09:00 AM
saudiboy
Pit Crew

I just got a quote from Lexus dealer for a timing belt. My car is at 95,000 miles. This my DD.

$850
Timing Belt
Drive belt
water pump

Toyota dealer
$750 ball park

My dealer in Santa Monica - $2,200. These jokers must do nothing other than warranty work.
Old 11-23-12, 09:59 AM
salimshah

Just be aware that the vvti are not as straight forward.

Get access to service manual as the video can make it look lot simpler.

Salim
Old 11-23-12, 11:05 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

$850
Timing Belt
Drive belt
water pump

Toyota dealer
$750 ball park

If you have any mechanicl abilit5y it is a doable job. If no mechanical ability, don't try it yourself! Just make sure and do your learning BEFORE you start, not during! I would recommend repacing the lower tensioner pulley even if you don't replace the tensioner or upper idler pulley. All original OEM parts can be obtained online for a fraction of the retail price. I wouldn't use ANYTHING but OEM parts.
Old 11-24-12, 06:27 PM
RoX300
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Copied from another Forum. The RX300 operates a "non-interference" engine which means that if the timing belt breaks you'll be left stranded in need of a tow but you won't experience the catastrophic engine damage described above that would occur if it had an "interference" engine.

#7972 of 9489 Timing Belt by bentwrench
Jan 27, 2004 (3:53 pm)
The horror stories which you reference occur when a timing belt breaks on an engine termed an "interference" engine. This means that when the belt breaks and one or more valves are left in a fixed open position, the piston on its upward stroke will contact the valve(s), damaging the valves and possibly the piston. Hence the term interference engine. On a non-interference engine, design is such that there is still clearance between the valve and piston regardless of where in the cycle the valve fails open. Therefore no damage. The RX 300 is a non-interference engine and therefore no catastrophic damage on breakage. Just left stranded.
Old 11-24-12, 06:33 PM
salimshah

There is some misinformation floating around.

Please do not believe everything that is on the net ... including this one

VVT engines are interfering type.

Salim

Quick Reply: Timing Belt Service - Need Advice