RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Rear Main replaced (2x) - still leaking Help !

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-12, 08:46 AM
RenoJeff
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Main replaced (2x) - still leaking Help !

99 RX still leaking . Independant shop thought we had a bad seal first time - not a dealer part . shop put in a rear main seal from the dealer ( alledgedly ) second time still leaking !

Oil spot about the size of dollar bill the next morning after repair.

any ideas as to what the mechanic is missing ? This guy is a tramsmission rebuilder by trade and worked for a very reputable shop where I live. He is qualified.

anyone have a similar situation ? suggestions I can relay to the mechanic ?

Any advice on this is greatly appreciated !
Old 11-14-12, 09:43 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

I would think either it wasnt done, or there is a groove in the crankshaft. I will tell you different mechanics are very different in how conscientus they are. Removing the tranny to replace seal is a labor intensive job. I hope they used a OE equipment seal, because this problem hasnt been one that seems to repeat after the seal replacement.
Old 11-14-12, 09:51 AM
salimshah

Received 1,050 Likes on 948 Posts

Was there any analysis done on the seal the last time around?

Seating problem (outer edge), insertion (inner edge), prelubing or even laziness in tilting the engine. The shaft has to be buffed clean. All of these are well known to an experienced mechanic ... so he is the best person to figure it out. I would also check the condition of the engine and transmission mounts.

New seals are flexible enough to take a bit of abuse.

Salim
Old 11-14-12, 11:06 AM
RenoJeff
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I should mention that I had both valve cover gaskets replaced last month when I had the knock sensors replaced. so I know its not an upper leak dripping down.

I got no feed back after the first seal repair other then " need to use factory rear main seal".

the mechanic is doing a dye test this afternoon. His online resouces are telling him to look for a hairline crack in the housing that is around the seal not sure if this is inner housing or outer.

this is a thirty dollar part that will present itself as a rear main leak. that probably should have been replaced the first time. when it the tranny was down.

I purchsed this rig 5 months ago the previous owner put 3500 into it for a brand new tranny and the engine just purrs. I've had several mechanis tell me this rx will be good for 10 more yrs. once the seal problem is fixed.

....... so even with the wife giveing me the stink eye about it I'm keeping it.