RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Burning oil...new thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-13, 08:13 AM
Dietz
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Burning oil...new thread

[COLOR="Blue"]Originally Posted by Dietz
I have 221000 on my car and will tell you i NEVER added a court of oil to this car EVER. I purchased it with 110,000 miles. I do all my own oil changes and I log everything in a book. If I buy new wipers I write down miles, cost and where I purchased it.

Almost a year ago I spent a couple of thousand dollars on a complete tune up at Lexus: water pump, timing belt, ignition coils, spark plugs. I changed my oil 3k miles later and I was down 1 quart....I thought maybe it was the engine running hot with all the new items. Next oil change I want 5K miles and I was down 2.5 quarts.
Ever since this time I am adding atleast 2 quarts of oil between changes. I cant explain it and now I am starting to smell the oil burn when I am at stop lights. I have no oil on the ground, no smoke burning from oil leak. I cant figure it out.

I should have gone to Lexus right away when I noticed it, but I did not. It is too late to tell them now, been 8 months. [/COLOR

]If you smell oil burning, then it may be the valve cover gasket. Although they wouldn't leak enough to cause 2 quarts to go missing. Did they change the cam seals?

BTW; I would start a new thread on this, just so the OP's thread doesn't get hijacked.
Old 01-28-13, 08:17 AM
Dietz
Rookie

I would assume that if they were in the engine they would put new valve cover gaskets on, once you take those off you cant really put them back. The receipt does not say anything about gaskets.

The car runs great. I have not complaints, but the oil consumption is making me nervous.
I am bringing it in to Lexus to new break fluid and I will mention it to them.

A previous thread said to check the vacuum hoses to see if they are clogger or PCV valve. Hopefully this is a minor thing.
Old 01-28-13, 11:12 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Well for everything you mentioned, they would not need to take the valve cover off.
Old 01-31-13, 12:14 PM
Dietz
Rookie

That was my mistake. I meant to say CAM SEALS. I never even asked them about that.
I am having them change the break fluid next week as it is brown, no longer red and I will ask them to look at the PCV valve and vacuum hoses.

Again, I dont have anything on the drive way or see any smoke coming from the car engine.
Old 02-01-13, 09:22 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

My car has done this twice. Only billows smoke when really stepping on the gas.

The first time was a couple summers ago after having valve springs replaced under warranty. Brought it back, they blamed it on overfilled oil... did whatever they did and it seemed fine after that.

It's now doing it again, though I tried to shrug it off as being cold and winter and just condensation but it happens on the highway with a fully warmed up engine when I really step on it.

I am now going to be optimistic and operating on the theory that something is up with my PCV valve and I'm just going to replace it. Last oil change was in summer time so I would think it's not overfilled oil. I haven't actually looked at my dipstick (bad me) for a long while since it's been freezing cold but I did take a peek under the oil fill hole and everything looked clean and normal under the cap and in the visible area beneath.

Coolant is a bit below the "full" line when the car is cold, it was at the full line in the summer time when cold but it was also 30C hotter then - I have no idea if what I'm seeing would be normal contraction or not. I would have also expected to really smell it if that smoke billowing out was coolant not to mention see something under the fill cap.

So PCV valve, please be buggered. That's all I can say about that. Maybe I'll just have the oil changed too for good measure - I'm almost afraid to just ask them to pop the PCV in while they're doing it they'll probably charge half hour labor. :P No, I'll pop it in myself and then let them get dirty with the oil.
Old 02-03-13, 03:03 AM
moonphase
Driver

Hi BinaryJay;
The PCV valve is a piece of cake to replace once located under the passenger side end of the intake manifold. It has a rubber line that goes up to the air intake manifold. First wipe the PCV and rubber line off, then pull the line off at the intake, then pop out the PCV valve with line attached. Pull PCV valve off line, insert new PCV into line and reattach the PCV and line to the engine. If you shake the PCV valve, it should have a have a very light easy moving clicky noise if it is good. Wash hands, and your done. Good Luck!