RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Turn signal driving me crazy

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-13, 04:27 PM
ntscott
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signal driving me crazy

Hello all...new to the forum and not terribly mechanically inclined. But I also dont want to give a dealership my paycheck for something that could be an easy fix.

I have a 2000 RX300. When the engine is the left turn signals and the left green arrow on my dash are behaving erratically. The light bulbs seem to work. But even if I'm not sigalling left, the lights outside either flash regularly (if signalling left) or partial flashes (if not signalling left)

Any suggestions? Thoughts?

Scott
Old 01-30-13, 05:09 PM
salimshah

Received 1,045 Likes on 943 Posts

I would like to extend a welcome to you.

Please re-read your post and edit it. If you need, use the template below [if you want people to diagnose your problem over the net, the explanation of symptoms need to be detailed]

1. Hazard flasher on -->
off ->

2. Stalk flicked to left turn --->

3. Stalk flicked to right turn -->

Salim
Old 01-31-13, 10:44 AM
ntscott
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
I would like to extend a welcome to you.

Please re-read your post and edit it. If you need, use the template below [if you want people to diagnose your problem over the net, the explanation of symptoms need to be detailed]

1. Hazard flasher on -->
off ->

2. Stalk flicked to left turn --->

3. Stalk flicked to right turn -->

Salim
Thanks Salim - I'll try to keep it short but informative

1. turn signal in neutral position--->left blinker flashes at rapid, sometime erratic pattern. Green arrow on dash flashes extremely fast

2. Stalk flicked to left turn ---> everything acts normally

3. Stalk flicked to right turn --> Right blinker acts normally. Left blinker does 2 quick flashes for every one normal right flash. Green arrow on dash flashes rapidly
Old 01-31-13, 12:37 PM
salimshah

For 1, Turn signal in NORMAL (not left and not right) ..
Hazard button engaged -->
Hazard button dis-engaged -->

And does the Hazard button look and feel healthy? No one poured soda/coffee etc in it?

And

What brought the onset of this condition ,,, every thing was fine till ?? happened.

One thing you might try on your own is to disconnect the battery gnd terminal for about 10minutes. [You will loose your memory settings].

Salim
Old 01-31-13, 02:56 PM
ntscott
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
For 1, Turn signal in NORMAL (not left and not right) ..
Hazard button engaged -->
Hazard button dis-engaged -->

And does the Hazard button look and feel healthy? No one poured soda/coffee etc in it?

And

What brought the onset of this condition ,,, every thing was fine till ?? happened.

One thing you might try on your own is to disconnect the battery gnd terminal for about 10minutes. [You will loose your memory settings].

Salim
Now when I start the car. There doesn't seem to be any erratic or fast flashing. But regardless of position of turn signal...right, left or normal...hazard engaged or disengaged...left blinker remains on.

I disconnected the battery, waited and then reconnected. Same issue.

The hazard button feels normal. Nothing has been directly poured on it.

As to what brought on the condition??? I have been experiencing another and possibly related issue over the last 6 weeks or so. The drivers floor has been very wet a few times. At first I thought the wetness was from me getting in and out out the car often during the rainy season. I am in Portland, OR. It has been known to rain here. I soaked it up and wet-vac'd it up. It has happened a few times now even when I'm not driving it. There must be some sort of leak. I have yet to identify the origin. There has been some accumulating tree debris where the hood meets the windshield. I dont know if there is some drain mechanism there that has been blocked and now the water if finding a new path. Just in case I got all of the gunk out of there.

Other than the possible connection between those two issues...I cant think of any other "event" that could have led to this.

Thoughts?
Old 01-31-13, 08:54 PM
salimshah

The turn signal flasher unit is behind the instrument panel near the driver left knee.

Page BE45 of the service manual has the procedure to test it out.

If you plan to do it, you will need to invest in the manual and multimeter (and the know how). A competent auto electrician can tackle the job too.

If you see excessive moisture there, then first trace the source of water and fix that and then try to address the flasher problem.

You can also throw parts at it ,,, just replace the flasher and hope for the best. If you choose to go this way, you may like to try a used part (hopefully the used part is good else you will be going in circles).

Salim