RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Transmission Drain/Fill good enough?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-13, 05:37 AM
lexrally
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Drain/Fill good enough?

Hi Forum, you have given so much good advice on maintaining this classic car, as a novice mechanic, someone like me certainly benefits. I have a question on the transmission fluid change, maybe there is no definitive answer.

Mine is an 02, FWD, 95K mi, and in pretty decent shape. The transmission is holding up pretty well, maybe because I do a drain/fille every 15k miles.

My question is, since all I have ever done was a drain/fill, will there come a time when I have to drop the pan, clean it, and change the filter?

We will be going on a long cross-country trip this year. I was going to do the normal drain/fill this spring, but wondering if I should do the filter replacement as well. I am a novice, with little tools, my biggest concern is not getting the pan on right with the gasket or not putting the filter on correctly, or something else that could go wrong, and I end up making matter's worse.

When I change the fluid, it always looks good (slightly darker than fresh fluid). But not silvery.

Might it be better for me to do a drain/fill several times instead to get most of the old fluid out? Could I avoid the filter change if I keep up a good drain/fill regimen?

Thanks !
Old 02-04-13, 07:23 AM
Baetke
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

lexrally,

Dropping the transmission pan is not hard to do but you won't gain much by doing it unless you expect you have a problem or if you have a severe usage driving profile, i.e. towing or lots of stop/go driving. Sounds like you have been very dilligent in maintaining your transmission fluid by changing it every 15K miles. Not sure about the 2001 RX but the 1999 RX came with a metal filter screen filter that does not need to be replaced. Some people replace the original with a paper filter and are then commited to replacing it every 15-30k miles because it is not re-usable like the original filter is. The drain/fill procedure is all they do at the dealer but you can do better yourself by draining an additional 2+ quarts at the transmission cooler (search this forum for the DIY on how to do this).
I dropped my pan for the first time at 150K miles and it had a very small amount of sediment in it. I confirmed the presence of a screen filter that did not need to be cleaned (although I did find a small piece of RTV in it that was probably from the factory). Hardly worth the effort other than it gave me peace of mind that everything was ok.

Baetke
Old 02-04-13, 07:42 AM
salimshah

Received 1,073 Likes on 966 Posts

You must invest in a low reading torque wrench if you plan to drop the pan.

Some time RX switched to element filter and it may be worth peace of mind to check at-least once and remove any sediments which the drain left behind.

Also make sure you place the magnets, exactly at the same spot.

Be warned that the transmission fluid is nasty smelling stuff. But the process is a breeze ... easier than taking the oil filter off.

Salim
Old 12-17-19, 01:27 PM
williamb82
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

(Edit: I did this on my LS460. I didnt realize this was the wrong forum. I search the 4th gen LS forum for the trans filter and fluid change. )

I just did this Sunday. For the fill plug, use a 24mm open end wrench. I had no issues getting to it at all. The plug has an o-ring on it, and does not need to be super tight after you fill it.

Also, the plug to check the fluid level is a 5mm allen. I dIdnt notice this info listed so wanted to post it for anyone that might want ot be sure they have the right tools before they get started.

Drain plug is 14mm as is the bolts for the exhaust bracket that must be removed. The trans pan bolts and filter bolts are all 10mm.

Last edited by williamb82; 12-18-19 at 03:31 AM.
Old 12-17-19, 02:47 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by williamb82
I just did this Sunday. For the fill plug, use a 24mm open end wrench. I had no issues getting to it at all. The plug has an o-ring on it, and does not need to be super tight after you fill it.

Also, the plug to check the fluid level is a 5mm allen. I dIdnt notice this info listed so wanted to post it for anyone that might want ot be sure they have the right tools before they get started.

Drain plug is 14mm as is the bolts for the exhaust bracket that must be removed. The trans pan bolts and filter bolts are all 10mm.
What car were you working on??
Old 03-25-20, 09:49 PM
GR3Y5H3ART
Lead Lap

Received 102 Likes on 75 Posts

good info...the great thing about Imports is the knowledge can be used between Mazda, Toyota (Lexus), Honda (Acura), Nissan (Infiniti) since certain parts are used on a lot of Imports...i.e. Takata Air Bags
Old 03-26-20, 04:33 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by GR3Y5H3ART
good info...the great thing about Imports is the knowledge can be used between Mazda, Toyota (Lexus), Honda (Acura), Nissan (Infiniti) since certain parts are used on a lot of Imports...i.e. Takata Air Bags
Yes, even domestics have airbags... and similar tires. Thank you.
The following users liked this post:
Broc (04-07-20)