RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Is there a way to lock the doors with the door open?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-02, 03:19 AM
Kristin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a way to lock the doors with the door open?

I did not think this would be a big deal, but it is driving me nuts. I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old. In my Jeep, I'd get home, unlock the house and disarm the alarm, open the back door of the jeep, LOCK the car, and toss my keys in my pocket/bag and then take my 25 pound son out of his seat and close the door. Well, the RX wont let me do this. I can't take things out of my truck without putting them down to lock the car. You have to have all doors shut first. I know it is to prevent you from locking the keys in the car. BUT, I am afraid I am going to drop my kiddo on his head if I don't hold on with 2 hands! Is this an option that I can have changed at my 30 day check-up? I hope so.

Thanks for the help!
Kristin
Old 12-20-02, 01:05 PM
salimshah

Received 1,072 Likes on 965 Posts

Try this after making sure that key is on you.

Open the doors that need to be opened. (i tested driver door)
Hit the lock button on the arm rest ... next to window up/down switches (I only tried the driver side)
You will hear door locks being actuated.
Take the precious cargo out.
Close shut the door(s).
Every thing would remain locked.

Salim
Old 12-22-02, 12:34 AM
Kristin
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the suggestion. Well, it works with the doors with the manual locks, but not the back door. This just stinks. I have always put a kid in the carseat, locked the car, walked to the other side unlocked all doors, opened other door for other kid, locked them all again, put other kid in seat, locked them again, unlocked all doors, opened trunk for stroller, locked all doors, put stroller in, unlocked then just driver door. This is to make sure that noone had access to my kids while I was on the other side or the rear of the car (it takes about 10 minutes to get from stroller to driving away). Since I can't do this in the RX, going to the mall today stunk. It is not safe for a young (kinda) mom and 2 kids to be so exposed in the mall parking lot at dark. Too easy for someone to take my kids or purse (diaper bag) or car for that matter.

So, if any of you have any idea if this is a preset thing please let me know!

Thanks!
Kristin
Old 12-22-02, 03:08 AM
salimshah

Kristen:

Are you looking for "trunk release" button as opposed to the "unlock all" by double squeeze?

Dealer can deactivate (or disconnect) the locking machanism via remote key button, but that would require you to use key to operate the hatch.

or

You want RX trunk to be locked, when you shut it closed.

I know you have tried to explain what you want to do, but it would help me, if you could state what you want the RX to do.

Salim
Old 12-22-02, 01:35 PM
Kristin
Driver School Candidate

THANKS for trying to help me! I appreciate your efforts to understand. Let me try again. It confuses me when I read my own post!

I need to be able to lock the doors while keeping one open. It might be the left rear door, the right rear door or the back hatch. It is dangerous to leave the doors unlocked while I am struggling to get the stroller in the back or the second child strapped in the carseat.

I ALWAYS unlock all doors, open the door that I am loading, immediately lock all doors, load up kid, lock all doors again, move to the next door, unlock all doors, open door to load, immediately lock all doors, load current door, lock all doors, move to the trunk, unlock all doors, open trunk, immediatley lock all doors, breakdown and load stroller, lock all doors again, walk to drivers door and unlock only drivers door and drive away. Ultimately, no doors are unlocked without me standing 'inside' the door. A child was actually taken, carseat and all, from a backseat while the mom was loading the stroller. I am really not crazy, I promise. This is actually what safety experts recommend you do when you are dealing with loading and unloading children in public places.

THANKS AGAIN!
Kristin
Old 12-22-02, 10:13 PM
salimshah

Originally posted by Kristin
I need to be able to lock the doors while keeping one open. It might be the left rear door, the right rear door or the back hatch. It is dangerous to leave the doors unlocked while I am struggling to get the stroller in the back or the second child strapped in the carseat.
Locking from inside works [my first reply] but that requires the other door to be open. So that solution should work for side doors [I think one can cover ..stand inside.. left_front--left_rear, right_front--right_rear, but the rear hatch might be too far]. You are welcome to PM me to expalin this step by step if required.

The problem statement as I understand is:
You want all doors to lock when you press the remote lock on the key, EXCEPT the one you are HOLDING OPEN.

The default setting is that if you lock by remote, beep sounds when any door is open. This reminds the driver that the RX did not lock.

Check with the dealer if there is a "CBEST" option that actuates all locks even when any door is open. Keep in mind you will have another problem on your hand .... you would not be sure if the RX is secured (locks on) when you press the key, and you will have to ckeck all five doors by tugging at them.

My first reply is a reasonable solution. If some one wants to crawl through the trunk in your presense to get to the kids, they can physically ****** the baby too. With you being 12ft away from the open trunk, the bad person can most run away with items in the truck.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 12-23-02 at 12:30 PM.
Old 12-23-02, 03:19 PM
Kristin
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Salim. I will check the Cbest setting idea. My husband thinks I am crazy for locking the doors while loading the kids. I think he is crazy for leaving the car unlocked while loading the kids.

Essentially I guess I need to know if there is a Cbest setting that will allow all doors to be locked even though one door/hatch is opened.

I remember a post somewhere on this board with a link to the list of Cbest settings, I will go searching for that now.

Thanks for helping me with this.

Kristin