RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

P0330 Knock Sensor, 15 min. Hack Repair...

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-17, 02:54 PM
mookie01
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixed, now another error.

did the fix and it worked great, driving for hours and now have a p0174. Any ideas on what I should check out?
Old 11-05-17, 04:44 PM
linusvp
Driver School Candidate

Hello all I am new to club!
I have 2003 EX300 with same pin out as Jackh. I am sorry if I am missing the answer but is the black and clear wires on second connector the correct ones? Can someone confirm? I scoured the internet with make,model and ECM numbers but no clear (labeled for 2003 ES) diagram. Need to get rid of this CK engine light and get car inspected. Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 11-05-17, 04:54 PM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 259 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by mookie01
did the fix and it worked great, driving for hours and now have a p0174. Any ideas on what I should check out?
Time to search the forums for threads on P0174.
Old 11-05-17, 04:58 PM
mookie01
Driver School Candidate

The thing is, that code wasn’t there until after this fix. Could the new code be linked to the fix seems to coincidental.
Old 11-05-17, 05:41 PM
Lexmus
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 65 Posts

You probably messed up reconnecting the vacuum lines. I did that when I changed the rear valve cover. At least it appears to only be bank 2 (the front of the car), so it is much easier to check the connections. However, I would check the fuel trims to insure that the problem isn't also affecting bank1. It is possible bank1 is also affected, but the bank1 long term fuel trim hasn't reached the level to throw the P0171 code yet.

Last edited by Lexmus; 11-05-17 at 05:45 PM.
Old 11-05-17, 07:16 PM
mookie01
Driver School Candidate

Will check that and the fuel injectors. They are the same bank as the knock sensor that was giving me issues so I wonder if the actual problem is more a fuel injector. In limp mode does a car generally fun rich or lean?
Old 11-05-17, 08:28 PM
Lexmus
Intermediate

When you say limp mode, do you mean it won't go into overdrive (4th gear)? If so, I don't expect that should cause either a lean or rich condition.
Old 11-06-17, 04:19 AM
Bobster999
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

The thing is, that code wasn’t there until after this fix. Could the new code be linked to the fix seems to coincidental.
What are the odds it only happened to you? think about it...
Old 03-02-18, 03:11 PM
O1GS43O
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Thumbs up

Bro love you. just did this to my mom's rx....worked like a charm.
Old 03-29-18, 09:56 PM
rcandcv
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus RX 300

Hello I'm new to this forum I have some questions hope you have some answers 😁. So I put a motor in my Lexus bought from a imports dealer . My knock sensor 2 came on also high idle are there only problems. I read on your post about this and I read that changing fuel injectors was also a fix. Only saying this because car had a half tank of 1 yr old gas . I put stabilizer and filled the tank . I'm thinking of giving your method a try but want some suggestions from you .
Old 05-09-18, 05:34 AM
lokislexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bobster999
This is for the people that don't want to pay big money to replace a bad knock sensor. I got the dreaded P0330 code saying the #2 knock sensor circuit was bad. I was driving 46 miles each way to work and had to stop and reset the light before I could there because she went in limp mode and I would lose overdrive. I just had to remove all of the same stuff to replace my leaking valve covers just a couple of months ago. I did not want to do that again. The ecu is looking for a small voltage between a set range to decide if that is normal and won't throw a code as long as it sees that voltage for each sensor. So I decided that since there are 2 sensors, and only one is bad right now, I will just feed both sensors from the good #1 bank sensor and the ecu will be happy. So i cut the wire feeding the #2 sensor and spliced it into the #1 sensor at the ECU. Anyway, it took me 15 mins and NO money to fix it. She drives as good as ever and no more CHECK ENGINE LITE. Im not telling anyone to do it, im just telling you what i did so you do what you will or won't. Don't Hate!
mine does not have a black wire just a clear and a clear with red tape around it. Is this the right wire still
Old 05-10-18, 04:07 PM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 259 Likes on 215 Posts

That picture doesn't look right to me.

In the pictures at the top of this thread I can see the ECU vertically against the right side, with the black ventilation fan box to its left.
The plugs go into the ECU.

In yours I can't figure out what I'm looking at.
Old 06-10-18, 08:48 AM
Bobdouds
Driver School Candidate

Default Knock Sensor 99 Avalon THANK YOU!!!!!!!

PO 330 CODE Quick 10 minute fix! I replaced my alternator with the battery in and I did not hook up the accessory plug on the alternator. There were a few tiny sparks etc... . My knock sensor light came on immediately after this leading me to believe that something shorted out along the way as this is a very common problem. ( I did not disconnect the ground Cable as instructed to do) I made sure I had no loose wires but then did my reading on the Board here and Voila! Now all is well. I just used an alligator clip and stripped back wiring on the good lead and attached the bad to it. Now everyone is happy! Lots of extra wiring to play with. Not a tough job at all THANK YOU! I had the two white or clear wires on my harness and plug.

Last edited by Bobdouds; 06-10-18 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 06-10-18, 09:00 AM
Gitano
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Quick fix

In the long run it's not hard to replace the knock sensors, wiring and the water cooling hose. IS ALL A MATTER OF RESEARCHING AND LEARNING ALL THERE IS TO KNOW ABOUT IT, THEN DO IT.
Old 06-10-18, 01:17 PM
Lexmus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Gitano
In the long run it's not hard to replace the knock sensors, wiring and the water cooling hose. IS ALL A MATTER OF RESEARCHING AND LEARNING ALL THERE IS TO KNOW ABOUT IT, THEN DO IT.
You are out of your mind if you think replacing the knock sensors is not hard and tedious for the average DIY mechanic, like 99% of those on here. I did the rear valve cover replacement so I know. Plus, it is rude to yell.

Quick Reply: P0330 Knock Sensor, 15 min. Hack Repair...