RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

P0330 Knock Sensor, 15 min. Hack Repair...

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-20, 12:11 PM
Stevo5321
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Both Senors Bad

Originally Posted by Bobster999
This is for the people that don't want to pay big money to replace a bad knock sensor. I got the dreaded P0330 code saying the #2 knock sensor circuit was bad. I was driving 46 miles each way to work and had to stop and reset the light before I could there because she went in limp mode and I would lose overdrive. I just had to remove all of the same stuff to replace my leaking valve covers just a couple of months ago. I did not want to do that again. The ecu is looking for a small voltage between a set range to decide if that is normal and won't throw a code as long as it sees that voltage for each sensor. So I decided that since there are 2 sensors, and only one is bad right now, I will just feed both sensors from the good #1 bank sensor and the ecu will be happy. So i cut the wire feeding the #2 sensor and spliced it into the #1 sensor at the ECU. Anyway, it took me 15 mins and NO money to fix it. She drives as good as ever and no more CHECK ENGINE LITE. Im not telling anyone to do it, im just telling you what i did so you do what you will or won't. Don't Hate!
What can I do if I have a code for both sensors?
Old 12-07-20, 09:20 AM
ovonic1
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up knock hack

i used this method. soldered the connections and worked great. thank you. merry christmas
The following 2 users liked this post by ovonic1:
Bobster999 (07-01-24), RXy (08-29-23)
Old 10-31-21, 06:51 AM
Zamboniguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

The World Wide Web is amazing. I completed this “hack” a couple days ago and my ‘01 rx300 runs and drives great. No CEL, OD is back and it appears better mpg. Saved me a $1000+ repair on a car worth <$4000. Thanks contributors. Thanks clublexus, happy to be a member.
The following 5 users liked this post by Zamboniguy:
BNastee (01-18-22), Bobster999 (07-01-24), bobwatt (10-31-21), maxSteel (10-31-21), RXy (08-29-23)
Old 11-08-21, 08:00 PM
Avogel
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Details on knock sensor hack

Originally Posted by epicazoi
I want in, can you send me the details as well? Truly a whiz!!!
Yes. please send the details. Do you have the code for each knock sensor to determine which is bad? And what color is each knock sensor wire behind the glove box. Many thanks.
Old 11-23-21, 02:19 PM
MASSMINI
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

About to do the splice hack to our 200K 2001 RX.
Curious what's the most miles anyone has gone with this?
Old 11-24-21, 12:34 PM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 261 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by MASSMINI
About to do the splice hack to our 200K 2001 RX.
Curious what's the most miles anyone has gone with this?
I did it about 7 years and 90K miles ago.

The following 2 users liked this post by maxSteel:
Margate330 (11-24-21), MASSMINI (11-26-21)
Old 11-24-21, 02:06 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 982 Likes on 782 Posts
Default Knock Sensor Hack

Originally Posted by maxSteel
I did it about 7 years and 90K miles ago.
Thank you maxSteel.
I was wondering the same thing.

Did the knock sensor hack a couple months ago and both banks are sharing the good knock sensor for now with no codes.
So I've been debating about buying a new sensor and installing it but really didn't feel like doing all that work before Christmas holdiay traveling as it's buried deep down under the lower intake manifold.

I realize the hack will only last as long as I have one good sensor but if it fails then I have nothing. - maybe I will do the sensor install before holiday, decisions, decisions.
Old 11-24-21, 06:32 PM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 261 Likes on 217 Posts

I did the full replacement with the knock sensors and wiring harness but then some months later one of them was throwing a code. I don't remember which.
I don't know why it failed so fast. Crappy sensor, maybe the wire melted, who knows. I just didn't want to do that whole job again so I did the hack.
It's really annoying that they buried the sensors like that.

I figured I would get around to it someday but the car has almost 330k miles on it and who knows how long it will run anyway.
I picture the scene that someday I will be waiting at a light and it will suddenly just shudder violently, collapse in the street, and die.
Old 11-26-21, 07:39 PM
MASSMINI
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Knock sensor hack done. Running fine and no CEL for a couple days. Fingers crossed sensor 1 doesn't fail. Only plan to keep it for another year max.
The following users liked this post:
Bobster999 (07-01-24)
Old 02-09-22, 11:02 PM
imherenow
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
*************************** DISCLAIMER ***************************************

Beware that depending on county and state, tampering/modifying Emission related electronics constitutes a crime.

Club Lexus does not endorse or recommend the procedure outlined in this thread and instead encourages its members and readers to get the proper repairs done.

***************************** End Disclaimer ***********************************

Salim
so in Texas where emission test is required ..doing this hack will fail the test?
Old 02-10-22, 03:48 AM
Bobdouds
Driver School Candidate

Default Will it pass emissions

Originally Posted by imherenow
so in Texas where emission test is required ..doing this hack will fail the test?
Yes no issues with emissions! I did this fix on two separate client vehicles and it has been over 2 years! Georgia has emissions tests annual in most of the state
Old 02-10-22, 08:39 AM
imherenow
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

so i understand that the hack works...but that bank is still bad condition right? so will that bank area cause damage since the knock sensor is not working anymore? i know that the car will no longer go in limp mode but beside that, the bank (bank 2) with cylinders, sparks etc will cause damage?
Old 02-10-22, 09:15 AM
salimshah

Received 1,069 Likes on 962 Posts

Originally Posted by imherenow
so i understand that the hack works...but that bank is still bad condition right? so will that bank area cause damage since the knock sensor is not working anymore? i know that the car will no longer go in limp mode but beside that, the bank (bank 2) with cylinders, sparks etc will cause damage?
First the standard disclaimer: [Modifying any emission related equipment is considered willful tampering and it is illegal in many states/county].
There are two different hacks ["to experiment and help diagnose"]. Clamp on Knock sensor and feed from an existing knock sensor.
In both the hacks [one more than the other*], if a real problem exists and the hack is masking it, then engine damage can happen.

Summary: When you alter/modify, think things through. Does the solution solve the problem or masks the problem. The thrust of this thread has been the sensor is giving false information. Question is what happens when there is an actual knock?

* [I can see the argument being made that one sensor is good enough indication for both banks and for the other hack, sensors are present. You decide what satisfies you.]

Salim
The following users liked this post:
Margate330 (02-10-22)
Old 03-12-22, 07:34 AM
mlrobin02
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by homernlani
Hello all

Bobster999, I got the inspiration from your post but I dont want to alter those wire near the ECU so this is what I did.

This is my first time to contribute a post/reply but long time lurker. I had this P0330 code too. This code detects knock on your bank 2 w/c is the radiator side

I did it the hardway by changing the knock sensors, after putting back everything, the code came back in 10min of test drive. I changed all sensor, harness and gasket. SO my next option is to hack this P0330 code AS I DONT WANT TO REPEAT THE WHOLE PROCESS of opening the top of the engine. Since I have the old harness I did the splicing at the harness end and now I dont have code, the car can go overdirve again,,,, but I can hear knocking/pinging/rattling in the engine when it needs more gas or when I accelerate

I read some where that knocking is bad for the engine and the way to remove knocking is to increase the octane level of the gasoline you put in the gas tank. I already am using 93 octane so now I add NOS octane booster and/or 108 octane booster, every time I fill up,,, and knocking is diminished but I can still hear it once in a while when I enter the expressway vaguely.

My verdict is that the knock sensor is detecting a knock in your engine that is why we got the code to begin with, replacing/hacking the sensor might help your situation but the knock is still there. and you might need a mechanic to fix this eventually by adjusting/replacing the valves or piston or something else. I am not a mechanic so I dont know. I dont want to buy a new car either
After knock sensor replacement, or hack, and still getting pre-ignition knocking, the NEXT step is to locate remove and clean bank 1 & 2 VVT screen filters and VVT solenoid valves. Especially when buying a "used" (and possibly/probably abused) Lexus with VVT. I had to do this on my 2001 Lexus ES300. I started with the obvious: NEW Iridium plugs, NEW Import Direct Coil-On-Plugs, cleaned the filter screens and VVT solenoid valves with CRC Mass Airflow Cleaner (it won't harm the plastic used in the screens). Also, changed BOTH knock sensors so I wouldn't need to dismantle the intake again. If you're gonna do it and need to remove the intake, DO ALL OF IT AND BE DONE WITH IT THE FIRST TIME! Just the voice of experience speaking here. Your vehicle, do what YOU are comfortable with within the law (of course.... ). On THESE engines, periodic and TIMELY oil changes ARE IMPORTANT! DO NOT PUT IT OFF! It will prevent a lot of the symptoms as stated above.

Last edited by mlrobin02; 03-12-22 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Left out important info.
Old 04-24-22, 06:07 PM
Andresvc
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Do the hack!

So my 2001 RX300 was showing the P0330 error, also as soon as the light went on the car won’t shift over 50 miles… I changed the knock sensor #2, 2 times!! You know how expensive this sensor change is… and the light always come back…. When the car have the light off the car runs perfect, but as soon as the check engine and vsc light come the car starts having trouble with the shifting…

i did the cables hack, it was super fast and i run the car today all day over 50miles and worked perfect and no light!

i actually open an account here to thank whoever find that fix. I was thinking to sell my lexus before this.

do it, is actually easy to do.
The following 2 users liked this post by Andresvc:
Bobster999 (07-01-24), Fit1too (04-26-22)

Quick Reply: P0330 Knock Sensor, 15 min. Hack Repair...