RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Lexus in for alignment (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-13, 07:16 AM
pktaske
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lexus in for alignment (pics)

Firestone told me they got their new machine in. All wireless. Took some pics as I never saw this before.

Note they couldn't get my front right wheel in spec. -1.5 and it needs to be at least -1.1 camber. I ordered a camber kit (fancy bolt) which i'll install this weekend for $12 vs the $120 they were asking.

To be fair, I watched the guy work on my car (also got new tires put on), and I was impressed at the level of thoroughness. Lifetime alignment for $129 was also a good deal I thought. He must have spent almost 2 hours working that alone due to a lot of old stuck bolts and wanting to get everything just right.
Attached Thumbnails Lexus in for alignment (pics)-east-20brunswick-20130416-00262.jpg   Lexus in for alignment (pics)-east-20brunswick-20130416-00264.jpg  
Old 04-17-13, 11:13 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Which firestone location is this? I thought it was $169 for a lifetime alignment?

I just had my RX aligned at my Lexus dealer, and they charged me nothing because they couldn't get the rear in the preferred spec due to rusted/stuck bolts. But they did get the front in spec, so they did the front and left the rear alone. The rear is still in spec, but it isn't at the preferred numbers. Mind you, this way my first time getting my car serviced at Lexus, and they didn't charge me a dime for this. It was nice getting a free car wash, and free snacks!

Last year I had my RX aligned at Firestone (Parsonage Rd, Edison), and I was never satisfied with the job they did. They didn't ensure that the steering wheel was straight when going down the road. Although it tracked straight on most roads, I assume the other roads didn't track well due to the crown, etc.

The alignment at Firestone last year was when I had 164k miles, I now have 195k miles. So I didn't necessarily need an alignment from Lexus when I went last week, but I had new front struts installed by my uncle so I decided to have the alignment done anyways.

Last edited by hypervish; 04-17-13 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-17-13, 11:21 AM
salimshah

Received 1,061 Likes on 957 Posts

Sears has similar machine. [not all locations though]

Salim
Old 04-18-13, 01:48 AM
pktaske
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hypervish
Which firestone location is this? I thought it was $169 for a lifetime alignment?

I just had my RX aligned at my Lexus dealer, and they charged me nothing because they couldn't get the rear in the preferred spec due to rusted/stuck bolts. But they did get the front in spec, so they did the front and left the rear alone. The rear is still in spec, but it isn't at the preferred numbers. Mind you, this way my first time getting my car serviced at Lexus, and they didn't charge me a dime for this. It was nice getting a free car wash, and free snacks!

Last year I had my RX aligned at Firestone (Parsonage Rd, Edison), and I was never satisfied with the job they did. They didn't ensure that the steering wheel was straight when going down the road. Although it tracked straight on most roads, I assume the other roads didn't track well due to the crown, etc.

The alignment at Firestone last year was when I had 164k miles, I now have 195k miles. So I didn't necessarily need an alignment from Lexus when I went last week, but I had new front struts installed by my uncle so I decided to have the alignment done anyways.
East Brunswick. It was on special. Maybe it was $139? I need to check my invoice. They said I should bring it in every 6000 miles. I thought that was a little excessive but if they are willing...

The guy took a torch to some of my rear stuck bolts. I've done this a few times over the years. NE salt.

Smart getting the alignment done after front struts. Its a 'Have To' in my book.

Last edited by pktaske; 04-18-13 at 01:52 AM.
Old 04-18-13, 07:42 AM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pktaske
Firestone told me they got their new machine in. All wireless. Took some pics as I never saw this before.

Note they couldn't get my front right wheel in spec. -1.5 and it needs to be at least -1.1 camber. I ordered a camber kit (fancy bolt) which i'll install this weekend for $12 vs the $120 they were asking.

To be fair, I watched the guy work on my car (also got new tires put on), and I was impressed at the level of thoroughness. Lifetime alignment for $129 was also a good deal I thought. He must have spent almost 2 hours working that alone due to a lot of old stuck bolts and wanting to get everything just right.
Hi Pktaske, what brand of camber kit you ordered?