RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Alignment problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-02, 04:49 AM
disco_y2k
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alignment problems

this is going to sound strange, but i am looking for any input. my RX started pulling to the right on the highway so i brought it in to get 4 wheel alignment. they did a little adjusting and got everything to where it should be. then i took it on the highway again and it was still pulling a little to the right. so i went back to the shop and had them go over it again. they came back and said the alignment was %100 correct but when they took the 2 front tires and switched them it would go from pulling to the right to pulling to the left. they tried both ways and let me drive it. they were right. so since i had a warrany on the tires (goodyear integra) i went to the shop i got the tires from. they gave me a brand new pair for the front, and guess what? nothing changed, it still pulls a little. i even went back to the alignmenat shop and had them check again? i am out of guesses and so are the 2 shops. if i cant get it right or come up with another idea soon i am going to try another brand of tires and goto a tire shop who also does alignments and tell them not to call until its right, but i hate to do that after spending all the money i already did and already having new tires. anyone got an idea?

** a side note ** a friend i told the story to mentioned something about maybe checking an arm in the rear suspention (maybe trailing arm) cant remeber the exact name, but does this sound like a possible cause?

thanks guys!
Old 12-31-02, 01:27 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have only had Bridgestone and Michelin on my RXs and have never had a problem. However, there have been many posts in the past about Integritys causing the pulling problem.
Old 12-31-02, 01:46 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Welcome to the Goodyear Integrity zone!!!! Couple or three years back, Edmunds and CL both had quite a few posts regarding pulling problems that didn't resolve with alignment, strut changes, etc, etc. The pulling wasn't related to road crowns or grooves (tramlining) and wasn't consistently to one side, though right seemed more frequent than left.

Compounding the difficulty, not all RXs would do it. I was on the verge of taking HER RX in (again) because of persistent pull to the right and decided to wait until my Michelin CTXs were mounted. And lo, no more pull!!!! Tracked straight and true and has remained so for the last 25k miles...........replace your Goodyear Notegritys and I predict your tracking problem will disappear.
Old 12-31-02, 02:41 PM
disco_y2k
Pole Position

thanks for the advice, looks like i might have to try a new brand, wish i would have checked up on this before i bought them
Old 12-31-02, 11:48 PM
disco_y2k
Pole Position

does anyone have a suggestion based on experience on which tire to go with, i rarely go off road so i dont need anything aggressive, i am more concerned about handling on the road and road noise. i only went with the integra because it was what the car came with, i guess i should have asked you guys before i bought them

thanks and have a great new years eve!
Old 01-01-03, 06:50 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with Michelin Cross Terrains, which seems to be the tire of choice for most of the posters here and on the Edmunds site. Costco has a coupon out for $60 off on a set of 4 1/20 through 2/2.