RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Fuel System Cleaner/Engine Restore Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-02, 12:38 PM
AudioMan
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Fuel System Cleaner/Engine Restore Problem

I just purchased a 99 RX with 60K Miles. At our first fill up, I put a bottle of Engine Restore in the Oil and a bottle of Fuel System cleaner in the gas on an empty tank before putting the gas in (as stated on the bottle). When started the car up after the fill-up, the engine was almost stalling and the Revs were bouncing all over the place. We kept it alive by reving it, and eventually the check-engine light came on. After about another minute (trying to make it home), the engine restored to normal and everything seems fine, however the light is still on. Anyone ever experience this? Our theory is that the fuel system cleaner did not mix with the gas and the engine tried to burn too much of it at once? Any other ideas? Thanks.

Last edited by AudioMan; 12-29-02 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12-29-02, 07:19 PM
Lexmexico
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 99 RX is at 54K. I know what you are referring to. After I used another fuel cleaner, Bardahl (I live in Mexico), I experienced the same situation. Car took a long time to start, and I eventually had to step on the peddle. Check engine light also came on. Took it to my Toyota dealer here, and basically the cleaner was cleaning out all the gunk (a lot of it), and it was passing through the engine. In about a week, everything was fine, and the car was running better than ever.

Fortunately, Costco just started importing Techron from Chevron. This stuff is gold and goes right off the shelf as soon as it is put on sale. I have had friends use this, and they do not experience the same symptoms you are referring to, but it still cleans the fuel injectors.

As for the check engine light. It should stay on in this situation. Sometimes, when the gas station attendants at Pemex forget to click the gas cap tight, the check engine light goes on, and after I tighten it, it eventually goes off. You need not go to a Lexus or Toyota dealer. Just go to a mechanic with an OBD-II Diagnostic Tool. It easily plugs into a port just underneath your steering wheel on the left side. They cannot not only tell you what the error was, but also turn off the check engine light. I bet it is a carburation error. Nothing to worry about.
Old 12-29-02, 11:19 PM
AudioMan
Rookie

Lexmexico, I think you are correct. The light has gone off but we have an appointment tomorrow for the dealer to recondition the leather. We will have them pull the code anyway to be on the safe side and I will post what the results were. I have used this same product in my previous 3.0 Camry, and current BMW M3 and have never had this sort of reaction. Maybe Lexus's computers are more finicky (sp).

So you are saying that it was so dirty that it caused the engine to freak out when being cleaned, or just that the engine did not like this specific cleaner? I will try techron next oil change.
Old 12-30-02, 10:39 AM
Lexmexico
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It may have been that the respective cleaners you and I were using did not break up the particles as well as Techron. Some people use paint thinner, believe it or not, and find that it is a superior cleaner. If the particles become small enough, they can easily pass through the fuel injectors, and you would feel little if any difference. That was the experience of two of my friends who tried some Techron I bought them. One used it in a 2001 Audi A3 (Compact) and another in a 2000 Rover 75 (Sedan). Despite having nice cars, both of these guys went cheapo and always filled up with 87 octane, which is really about 85 in Mexico, not to mention all the gunk. No problems, and they could feel the injectors becoming cleaner over the course of a week.

Another thing to check is your air filter. Have them take an air compressor and clean it out. The carburation error also turned on the check engine light after one dirty off-road journey last week. Service guys at Toyota cleaned it at no charge.
Old 12-31-02, 05:28 PM
ederny
Pole Position

Default Techron

I've used Techron for years exclusively. Works great. One example is my '70 911T. Had an annoying rough spot at 2k to 2.5k RPM and redid the ignition timing, valve clearence, filters, plugs, etc. During a usual maintence (a Techron dosage for all the vechiles) the 911 engine ran perfectly immeadeatly after the liquid gold was added to the tank! What a pleasant surprise. Since the '99 RX300 has been in the stable for only 2 weeks, I'll be giving it the Techron treatment this coming weekend.

Last edited by ederny; 12-31-02 at 05:30 PM.