RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Extended warranty from dealer or elsewhere

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-02, 11:57 PM
disco_y2k
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default purchasing extended warrantee from dealer or elsewhere

my cousin has a GS and he only has about 38k miles on it and the dealer is already trying to hit him up for an extended warranty. i am right above the 50k miles mark on my RX and nothing was ever said to me from the dealer about an extended warranty. does anyone know what the policy is and what is offered for RX's after the 50k factory warranty runs out from the dealer. i am thinking about going inquire about it but i would like to know as much about what should an extended warranty cover and how much it should cost me etc.... so i dont get taken by the dealership

if anyone has bought an extended warranty please share how much it cost you and what it covered and who you got it through

thanks guys

Last edited by LexRX; 01-01-03 at 01:15 AM.
Old 01-01-03, 08:47 AM
ederny
Pole Position

Dealers and car lots often offer extended warranties based on the "insurance principal" written by third parties that provide several levels of coverage. From the minimum power train warrenty to the everything included type. The dealer or car lot is typically the sales channel making a commission. Stop by your dealer and ask what they offer. Most likely they will hand you a brochure from one or two extended warrenty outfits and can give you the pricing for your vehicle.
Old 01-03-03, 08:31 PM
bx167

My 99 rx is about 50k too. I asked the sales rep about extended warranty and he told me I can only purchase before 36k. If it's ONE mile over, then it will not be available. He told me I can look for third parties' warranty program.

I'm looking for lexus warranty not those third parties.

Anyone has any info on the factory extended warranty?
Old 01-05-03, 01:34 PM
PhaxXx
Driver School Candidate

I went into DiFeo lexus here in NJ. I spoke with a guy there and he gave me a booklet from Lexus regarding their exteded warranties.

The cover says: Lexus Financial Services - Lexus Extra Care - Vehicle Service Agreements.

Basically it's best to purchase this coverage before 50,000 miles. I have 43,000 on my truck now. There are different packages so you would have to decide what you like.

There is also a web site referenced on the back of the book
www.lexusfinancial.com

Hope this helps. If you want the number of the person I spoke with it is 732-271-4000 and his name is Alan - he has the title of Business Manager.
(Don't like to post last names)
Old 01-07-03, 03:40 PM
gasjuju
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Try Warranty Direct or 1SourceAutoWarranty

Hello,

You can try www.warrantydirect.com or www.1sourceautowarranty.com.

Get the bumper to bumpter coverage and supposedly
they will pay for everything (with the exception of gasoline).

Anecdotal evidences suggest that these guys are really
top-notch (much better in term of price and service compared
to dealer's extended warranty).

Just a question...
Getting an extended warranty for a Lexus - hmmm...
isn't that like that pulling down one's pants to pass gas.
(please excuse my crude analogy).
Old 01-07-03, 06:52 PM
ederny
Pole Position

Default Ext Warrenty vs do it your self...

Good one juju!

Ok, here's just what we all fear - A real life experience. So I buy a used 99 from a dealer lot (Toyota in this case - not certified) and spend a fair amount of time looking over the vehicle, my wife also looks it over, we drive it, try every light, bell and buzzer. I also check engine, undercarriage for damage, look in the all the places light doesn't shine for rust and check to see if there is any body-work had been done (from being hit). We actually looked as several RX prior to this.

They ask if we want the extended warranty and I politely say no (cause I do all my own work and besides this is a Lexus and I've researched all the ratings).

So, we sign, we pay, we come back to drive it home on a cold overcast New England Dec afternoon. Sure enough the bottom cushion driver's seat heater element does not heat. We must have missed that and that leather is cold on the 17 deg morning rides to the office.

The next day of course the sales person says "well you had the opportunity to purchase the ext warranty! I let him know that I expect all the equipment to be in working order - certainly from a dealer.

Ok, we worked things out after escalating to the Sales Manager for the showroom and the Used Vehicle Manager. Tomorrow the heater gets fixed and I get a loaner car too. I'll pick up the servicing from here. Actually, my servicing will be much easier due to the discussions and info on this web site - good show!
Old 01-07-03, 07:42 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take a look at WarrantyGold. Several CL members use them and have reported great service.

http://www.warrantygold.com/Warranty...&c=0001&b=0001
Old 01-07-03, 09:07 PM
bx167

Too bad not for State of CA

The State of California has passed legislation which regulates the sale of Extended Service Contracts to California residents. This legislation applies to all Internet companies and businesses that are not licensed in the State of California as automobile dealers. We are choosing to suspend offering our products and services to California residents until it is determined that we are in full compliance with this California legislation. We apologize for any inconvenience. Please check back often or submit your email address to be notified when our products and services will again be offered in your state.
Old 01-07-03, 09:54 PM
gasjuju
Driver School Candidate

Hello bx167,

Good point about the state of California...
Looks like warrantydirect will not sell it
in the state of California.
However, 1sourcewarranty did give me a quote
(either they did not realize that i live in California, or they are flouting the law or perhaps the law does not apply to them).

By the way, take a look at the web site
www.carbuyingtip.com about getting extended
warranty. Some pretty hilarious reading...