RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Rear Hatch Lock/Actuator??

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-13, 09:57 PM
Nickv
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Hatch Lock/Actuator??

On my 2000 RX300, the rear hatch lock now refuses to open. I have tried using the key in the lock and using the remote, and using the driver door switch to lock and unlocki the rear hatch. Nothing works.

Some time ago, I had problems with the front passenger door lock. Got it fixed. Ok, I paid $450 to get it fixed from a mechanic. Not from a Lexus dealer. The dealer wanted about $700 I recall.

So I can't get access to the inside of the lock as the hatch is lccked in the closed position.
So.... How do I fix it? How do I get the rear hatch door open in order to fix it?

Any help will be apprecited.
Nick V
Old 06-06-13, 10:54 AM
james77147
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a small cover over the lock which can be removed from inside the cargo room.Move the metal lever inside to the left and the door pops up!.
Old 06-06-13, 11:37 AM
Dadikins
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This may seem silly, but make sure that your rear hatch lever is pushed out,

Mine doesn't "spring back" any more, and despite the amount of WD40, PB Blaster, etc that I've tried, I cannot get it to properly spring back.

If it is "pulled in" when trying to unlock, it won't work.
Old 06-06-13, 02:16 PM
salimshah

Received 1,072 Likes on 965 Posts

Can you get to the lock from inside once the hatch is down .... or can we remove the paneling with the hatch closed?

Salim
Old 06-06-13, 04:48 PM
Nickv
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies, guys. At this point, I DO have the hatch open. I got it open by using a method mentioned earlier in this thread. Namely, when outside the car, push IN on the hatch and pull toward you (into yourself). I had to try this several times but I did get it to open.

I then removed the lower and upper trim panes on the inside of the hatch. Not hard, just pull the panels from the metal frame of the hatch (several/most of the retaing plastic clips will break so plan on buying some new ones).

I then futzed around looking/pulling/pushing/alittle bit of cursing. After that technical inspection, I decided to remove the outside king of long horizontal trim piece that is right over the grip for the hatch lever. It looks like that will come of after removing 4 nuts from the inside.

I confess that I get confused with all the different terms that people use to describe parts. AND, I have noticed that NO photos have been provided for this DIY repair. At least I do not recall seeing any. So. I am going to go and take a few photos of the lock, hatch, exteriors and interiors to help every one learning about this repair. As my RX300 is 13 years old, with 104K miles, it looks like many in similar years and usage will have need fo this repair.

I am stumped at to just what is wrong. Is it the inside of the metal box that holds the actual latch and catch? Or is it the part that is higer. I dont' even know how to describe it myself. Hence, my need to take photos and try and workthrough this problem and provide some assistance to any one else. Got to grab my camera.....

Nick