RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Very Noisy Alternator Belt

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-13, 09:58 PM
Mut
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Very Noisy Alternator Belt

My beautiful '99 Rx300, Roxy. 173k miles strong. She's been quite noisy for a few months now. Can't remember the last time the belt was replaced.

I've tried adjusting the belt tension a few times recently and it didn't work or I did it incorrectly. I remember tightening the tension a year or two ago and it was successful, but this time it was no good. The belt feels tight, but I don't want to fuss with it any more because I'm afraid of breaking something.

Here's what I, and everyone near my car, gets to hear everyday:

Sorry if the video is vertical, youtube is taking its time rotating it.

A high-res picture of the belt:

Very Noisy Alternator Belt-4zpq3h0.jpg

What is needed here? Any time I softly press on the accelerator the noise get louder but goes away once you hit like 10mph. So if I'm slowly driving through a residential area or even a parking lot, my car sounds like a thousand birds chirping.

Please help me, Club Lexus. You've been so good to me in the past! Thank you!
Old 06-21-13, 12:47 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mut
My beautiful '99 Rx300, Roxy. 173k miles strong. She's been quite noisy for a few months now. Can't remember the last time the belt was replaced.

I've tried adjusting the belt tension a few times recently and it didn't work or I did it incorrectly. I remember tightening the tension a year or two ago and it was successful, but this time it was no good. The belt feels tight, but I don't want to fuss with it any more because I'm afraid of breaking something. Sorry if the video is vertical, youtube is taking its time rotating it.

What is needed here? Any time I softly press on the accelerator the noise get louder but goes away once you hit like 10mph. So if I'm slowly driving through a residential area or even a parking lot, my car sounds like a thousand birds chirping.

Please help me, Club Lexus. You've been so good to me in the past! Thank you!
To make CERTAIN it's the belt this time, try shooting a SMALL amount of WD40 on the belt with it running. It only takes a tiny (well, maybe a little more that a TINY shot) shot so don't drench it. If it's the belt (it COULD possibly be something else), it will go away instantly. Be VERY careful around the engine while it's running but you should be able to get it from under the RF fender well with the wheel turned to the right. There are belts that "don't play well with others" but if it's a Toyota belt I wouldn't think you'd have that problem. That doesn't sound like too loose, more like A BELT ISSUE (see dpwwo)
Old 06-21-13, 07:33 AM
salimshah

Received 1,080 Likes on 972 Posts

How old is the belt? (estimate or if has been 3 yrs then its time to change)

Take it off and examine it, through the full length and specially the inside. See if the belt feels stiff and dried out (not the best term, but in feel). A good belt should be flexible.

Salim
Old 06-21-13, 07:45 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
How old is the belt? (estimate or if has been 3 yrs then its time to change)

Take it off and examine it, through the full length and specially the inside. See if the belt feels stiff and dried out (not the best term, but in feel). A good belt should be flexible.

Salim
Why would you change a belt at 3 years? Maybe if it is a cheap aftermarket, but factory belts last almost forever.
Old 06-21-13, 08:51 AM
Dadikins
Pole Position

When we bought our 2002, it sounded like that. It was brought to the dealer's attention many times. At one point, we had the serpentine belt replaced (forget if it was because it was due, or for a recall), and the problem went away.

Before I officially "signed up" for an account here @ CL, I seem to recall reading some threads here regarding a loud alternator belt.

Last edited by Dadikins; 06-21-13 at 09:01 AM.
Old 06-21-13, 09:19 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by artbuc
Why would you change a belt at 3 years? Maybe if it is a cheap aftermarket, but factory belts last almost forever.
Nothing lasts forever.

If you are getting a squeal, and you have made sure the tension is right and you have had 30,000 miles on the belt, I would say change the belt. The belts are part of replace maintenance, the milage escapes me. Mine are averaging 50-60kmiles. The shortest life was when I was not parking my RX in a garage.

Salim
Old 06-21-13, 09:39 AM
RX300CE
Rookie

New belt does not cost much money, just change a new belt, sounds like a noise came from a belt .
Old 06-21-13, 06:55 PM
99rx
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Simple answer and solution... Replace the belt
Old 06-21-13, 07:44 PM
LagunaRx
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not forever, my 2002 started to squeal at 120,000 . Sept 2012 replaced at 130,000, old belt was worn, some cracking . My battery is still good, at 11 plus years. Thanks Rx Laguna
Old 06-21-13, 09:14 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by LagunaRx
Not forever, my 2002 started to squeal at 120,000 . Sept 2012 replaced at 130,000, old belt was worn, some cracking . My battery is still good, at 11 plus years. Thanks Rx Laguna
If your vehicle has been going to Lexus for regular maint, I am willing to bet that it would have been replaced.

Salim
Old 06-22-13, 12:57 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

If your vehicle has been going to Lexus for regular maint, I am willing to bet that it would have been replaced.

Salim
Come on Salim, that's a bet you'd win several times over!
Old 06-22-13, 01:08 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Nothing lasts forever.

If you are getting a squeal, and you have made sure the tension is right and you have had 30,000 miles on the belt, I would say change the belt. The belts are part of replace maintenance, the milage escapes me. Mine are averaging 50-60kmiles. The shortest life was when I was not parking my RX in a garage.

Salim
Salim, the noise sounds like a "chirp". not a squeal or a squall, which would indicate not enough tension. Even then a S or S is on acceleration, not at idle. I still say (because I HATE to throw parts at a car), shoot a little WD40 OR water on the belt. If the noise instantly goes away you know it's the belt. How many DEALER mechanics have replaced a part they just knew was the problem only to find out it didn't fix the problem? PLENTY! When varification is so easy, only the ones who spent a lot of time in the corner with the dunce cap on take the long road!
Old 06-22-13, 06:51 PM
Mut
Rookie

Okay, I'm all for replacing the belt (which I would take to a mechanic to do), but I am open to spraying a little WD40 on the belt while it's running. I should note, that when I start the engine in the morning when it's cooler/cold, then I don't hear it. It's when it's warm/hot and/or the engine has been running for a while I hear the noise.
Old 06-22-13, 11:37 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mut
Okay, I'm all for replacing the belt (which I would take to a mechanic to do), but I am open to spraying a little WD40 on the belt while it's running. I should note, that when I start the engine in the morning when it's cooler/cold, then I don't hear it. It's when it's warm/hot and/or the engine has been running for a while I hear the noise.
I believe in listening to the video that it is indeed the belt. I have experienced cases where the belt wasn't worn and even times when they were new that there were noises like this. I spent most of my life in automotive work on straight commision and trust me, if you didn't do things right, you got to do it over for free! That's a strong motivator for doing things right the 1st time! There ARE other things that CAN sound like this. I'm just saying that when It's SO EASY to confirm, only the guy sitting in the corner doesn't do it.
Old 06-23-13, 05:33 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Sometimes oil and other gunk (whether from road, engine or other), can get on that belt and cause squeals. Usually, I find this stuff gets knocked off after going through rain and puddles or even through a car wash. Barring that it is weather expanding/contracting belt or just the belt itself.

Quick Reply: Very Noisy Alternator Belt