RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

'02 RX300 Transmission - at a crossroads, looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-13, 01:56 PM
polecat27
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '02 RX300 Transmission - at a crossroads, looking for advice

Hello all,

I'm new here... own a 2002 RX300 (have had it since '05). I've done basic maintenance and it's been a great vehicle - no complaints. I live in a very rural area, so use local mechanics (closest Lexus dealer is about 6 hours away).

On the advice of the service guys (2 oil changes ago), I had the transmission fluid changed on my last change. They noted "flushed twice - extremely dirty". I'm guilty as charged of not having done it sooner; I'll admit that up front. (this was in late May).

Within the last few weeks, I noticed a whining sound that was intermittent and seemed more pronounced at low speeds. Then, it started "clunking" into gears when shifting into higher gears during normal acceleration. And the final failure was the transmission slipping on the highway - I was able to get off the highway and had it towed back to my mechanic.

The mechanic called and said he might be able to replace it with a used transmission for $900, plus $1200 labor. The next option up was a rebuilt transmission for about $3100 (plus labor), and higher yet, he found one sold by a dealer (Lexus??) for $3700. He feels that the vehicle is in good shape otherwise (150k miles), a couple of cosmetic issues (rear bumper was hit, one door dented by my horse), but otherwise, it's in excellent condition on the interior and all else is good (i think).

So... I'd be grateful for some advice/wisdom: I am inclined to replace the transmission with the used option ($2100 total), but not likely to do the rebuilt/dealer options - it seems that dropping $4500+ into the car may not be wise). I may list it on craiglist as having a blown transmission, see what I can get, sell my little car (it's my run-about - high maintenance, but great fuel economy, just not great in winter conditions), and get something slightly newer.

Alas, the crossroads... Put $$ into an 11 yr old RX300, or cut my losses and move on? Again, I'm new here, LOVE the RX300, but am worried about how much more I can expect from it. Also... I've read some other posts that suggest problems begin when you change/flush the transmission fluid - is this something I should bring up with the mechanic? As mentioned, this is a rural area, and I do like the guy... don't want to come off as insulting their work, but at the same time, if the flush started the failure, it would be good to know.

Many thanks in advance!
Donna
Old 07-16-13, 02:47 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Sorry to hear of your problem. Yes, we do not recommend flush on this site and the other lexus site. Unfortunately mechanics don't keep up to date on every vehicle, though it is possible with the internet. You have a tough decision, I assume the vehicle is paid for, so one method of thinking is fix the transmission and look at it as temporary car payments. The other is to cut loss and sell as is, best case scenario you would probably be looking at $2500 or less for the vehicle. tough call, welcome aboard, and best of luck.
Old 07-16-13, 03:28 PM
polecat27
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the post, Thomas1. Yes, it's paid off and although I do love driving it... I just don't want to make a bad decision about the transmission repair.

I'm still waiting to hear about the used option; that will likely be what pushes me toward one option or the other.

Thanks again,
Donna
Old 07-16-13, 04:50 PM
salimshah

Received 1,078 Likes on 970 Posts

Please check price with Sewel Lexus ... being a CL member you will get discount. You will find the price gap much smaller. I would get it from them. Do include shipping (both ways .. you have to send the old one back) in your cost analysis. Other dealers may match and if you search there are other dealerships selling stuff online.

Paying for a used transmission will be like a crap shoot. I would suggest this only if you want to spend minimum to get the vehicle on road with a plan to sell.

Salim
Old 07-16-13, 07:57 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus!

It's unfortunate to hear of the transmission failure, but 150k miles is a good life. It lasted a long time.

It's more than likely the transmission flush made the transmission fail. But no point in speculating.

If you go with the used transmission, I'd make sure it has already been rebuilt.

I'd suggest you go with a rebuilt unit.
Old 09-13-13, 06:00 PM
polecat27
Driver School Candidate

Hello again...

It's been a while, and the mechanic can't come up with a decent used transmission (only a rebuilt option which is deadly expensive). I have decided to list the RX300 as is on Craiglist, and move on. It pains me to do so - I loved that vehicle.

Before signing off, I wanted to reiterate my thanks for all of the wisdom/advice you've shared.

All the best,
Donna
Old 09-15-13, 11:41 AM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Good luck to you!