RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Transmission.....Drain or Flush

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-13, 01:53 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by kalali
You need to find a good local mechanic. Those chain shops like Midas and Amco are hit or miss.
Listen to what the folks are telling you here. You NEED to get rid off that "milky red" crap. You can either do it yourself or pay someone do it for you. Instructions are simple: drain and fill, repeat until the crap is out...
Drain/fill is not a good approach for this situation. It will take gallons of ATF, many miles driven on contaminated ATF, and you will never get it 100% purged.
Old 07-22-13, 04:10 AM
salimshah

Received 1,050 Likes on 948 Posts

Originally Posted by artbuc
Drain/fill is not a good approach for this situation. It will take gallons of ATF, many miles driven on contaminated ATF, and you will never get it 100% purged.
I am with artbuc on this, although I know not to flush. I would try the self pump out. But the question remains as to what type of water got in and how much.Even controlled flush would not get everything out but at least bulk of water would be removed.

Salim
Old 07-22-13, 05:28 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
I am with artbuc on this, although I know not to flush. I would try the self pump out. But the question remains as to what type of water got in and how much.Even controlled flush would not get everything out but at least bulk of water would be removed.

Salim
I would "self-pump" at least 14-15 qts even if the fluid looked good at 10-12 qts. As I posted before, I would inspect a week later and repeat if I saw even the slightest evidence of water contamination.
Old 07-22-13, 05:55 AM
hadin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Morning,

Just got off the phone with another repair shop and when I asked for a fluid exchange, he flat out told me he didn't have the time or space to pump out 3qts stop refill and repeat. I'm going to call around some more, but in the meanwhile should I just park it?

Second mechanic I just called said too risky may burn out the gear in the process.

Last edited by hadin; 07-22-13 at 06:05 AM.
Old 07-22-13, 08:01 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by hadin
They are the oil and lube place around the corner. I went to Midas first, but they would only do the machine flush. My mechanic drove it a couple of blocks, checked the fluid and said it was fine. He said the water would evaporate. I checked the Haynes manual and it was like reading chinese. Am I going to have to go to ammco or worst the dealer?
yeah right! His *** will evaporate first before all of that water in there. Like mentioned above^^^ that may have been flooded or had too many openings sitting around while in rain.
Old 07-22-13, 08:24 AM
salimshah

Received 1,050 Likes on 948 Posts

Seems like a no win situation. In between pros and cons of power flush vs keeping what you have in the system.

Any estimate as to what is the water - T fluid mix ratio or percentage ... Or how many quarts of Tfluid were added at time to swap? I think a dry system needs 16qts of Tfluid.

IMHO (no guarantees implied) at this stage, static water does more damage. So driving is better option. I have very limited knowledge when it comes to transmission. I would talk to the folks who sold you the transmission and ask for their advice. If they power-flush, then do so. At least you can tell them you followed their advice.

Salim
Old 07-22-13, 08:33 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Seems like a no win situation. In between pros and cons of power flush vs keeping what you have in the system.

Any estimate as to what is the water - T fluid mix ratio or percentage ... Or how many quarts of Tfluid were added at time to swap? I think a dry system needs 16qts of Tfluid.

IMHO (no guarantees implied) at this stage, static water does more damage. So driving is better option. I have very limited knowledge when it comes to transmission. I would talk to the folks who sold you the transmission and ask for their advice. If they power-flush, then do so. At least you can tell them you followed their advice.

Salim

Yep, either the power flush, or the trans line flush. (preferably the latter one)
Old 07-22-13, 09:23 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

Man I would not do a power flush, would find someone to do a fluid exchange with the power of the transmission pump.