RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Transmission.....Drain or Flush

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-13, 07:34 AM
hadin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission.....Drain or Flush

Hello,

I just replaced the transmission in my 2001 Lexus RX 300. I brought a used tranny from a junk yard with 89k miles. No telling how long it has been sitting. The shop recommended a transmission flush within the next 2-3 days because they found water in the transmission. After reading these post, owners have mixed feelings about the flush. I know the shop that installed my trans are good at that but not specific on individual car models. This morning, I realize that the 1st to 2nd gear has a slower response time than my old transmission. Any suggestions would be helpful. thx
Old 07-17-13, 07:44 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by hadin
Hello,

I just replaced the transmission in my 2001 Lexus RX 300. I brought a used tranny from a junk yard with 89k miles. No telling how long it has been sitting. The shop recommended a transmission flush within the next 2-3 days because they found water in the transmission. After reading these post, owners have mixed feelings about the flush. I know the shop that installed my trans are good at that but not specific on individual car models. This morning, I realize that the 1st to 2nd gear has a slower response time than my old transmission. Any suggestions would be helpful. thx

If it`s not a reverse flush, it might be okay. And only because of them finding some water in there. Normally I would only suggest drain/fills. As far as the first to second delay, my 2001 had that issue and the only thing that got rid of it was Castrol multi import vehicle fluid or the Wolfs Head universal fluid. Shifted great then.

Last edited by lexus114; 07-17-13 at 07:48 AM.
Old 07-17-13, 11:27 AM
hadin
Driver School Candidate

lexus114,

The transmission shop recommened a flush, they said they did not have the flushing equipment (whatever that might be) But what's a reverse flush?
Old 07-17-13, 06:45 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I'd suggest drain and fill or fluid exchange (i.e. not flush).

Hopefully the water hasn't affected the life of the replacement transmission.
Old 07-18-13, 04:40 AM
hadin
Driver School Candidate

Morning,

I did check the fluid this morning and it was milky red, more pink. I think I will try the fluid drain. Is it the same as draining oil from the motor?
Old 07-18-13, 05:26 AM
salimshah

Received 1,050 Likes on 948 Posts

Morning,

I did check the fluid this morning and it was milky red, more pink. I think I will try the fluid drain. Is it the same as draining oil from the motor?
I guess you meant similar. Please read up the DIY on transmission servicing ... you dont need to drop the pan. I would highly recommend that you go the place who did the swap for you and ask them to open the loop and keep adding fresh transmission fluid till the lines run clear. Expect about 16qts of fluid. Do not let the shop do a power (machine assisted) flush. Let the transmission pump do the flush for you.

Salim
Old 07-18-13, 07:12 AM
hadin
Driver School Candidate

I wish I had asked the shop before I paid....They go after big money they give you a hard way to go when you want simple stuff done. Is this something that a general mechnic can do, open the loop that is.
Old 07-18-13, 09:28 AM
salimshah

I wish I had asked the shop before I paid....They go after big money they give you a hard way to go when you want simple stuff done. Is this something that a general mechnic can do, open the loop that is.
There are instructions floating around and I bet there are tons of video for auto-trans. You need to know what you are doing. Break the loop any where and add extension pipes to allow you to work on the side of the vehicle. Keep adding the same amount that is being pumped out.

Salim
Old 07-18-13, 12:08 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

lexus114,

The transmission shop recommened a flush, they said they did not have the flushing equipment (whatever that might be) But what's a reverse flush?

Meaning as long as the flush direction goes in the same direction as the fluid normally goes. I think there are/were some machines out there that went in a reverse flow direction.
Old 07-18-13, 12:11 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Morning,

Yeah you definitely have some water in there.
Old 07-20-13, 01:20 PM
hadin
Driver School Candidate

I had the drain and fill done this morning. The fluid is still milky red. They suggested I take it back to the transmission shop saying they were wrong for not draining the water out before they installed it. They also mentioned the water may have eroded the transmission all together. Finally they told me to come back and two or three weeks to drain it again. It still has some hesitation in first gear. If I'm coming to a stop and accelerate while rolling, it jerks. All other gears are fine.
Old 07-20-13, 02:15 PM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts

I had the drain and fill done this morning. The fluid is still milky red. They suggested I take it back to the transmission shop saying they were wrong for not draining the water out before they installed it. They also mentioned the water may have eroded the transmission all together. Finally they told me to come back and two or three weeks to drain it again. It still has some hesitation in first gear. If I'm coming to a stop and accelerate while rolling, it jerks. All other gears are fine.
You need to do a complete fluid exchange by disconnecting the trans cooler line and using the trans pump to pump out the old fluid. First do a drain/fill to start with a sump full of fresh fluid. Then start engine and pump out old fluid. Stop engine every 2-3 qts and add back that amount of new fluid. You can actually let it pump until it stops as no damage will happen in just a second or two it takes to turn off engine. Keep going until you see no more sign of water. Check it in a few days as you may need to repeat the process.
Old 07-20-13, 02:37 PM
salimshah

Who is "they"?

Did you read the post about how many drains and fill will be needed to replace about 98% of the original?

I hope you did not get a transmission that was flooded.

Salim
Old 07-20-13, 03:09 PM
hadin
Driver School Candidate

They are the oil and lube place around the corner. I went to Midas first, but they would only do the machine flush. My mechanic drove it a couple of blocks, checked the fluid and said it was fine. He said the water would evaporate. I checked the Haynes manual and it was like reading chinese. Am I going to have to go to ammco or worst the dealer?
Old 07-21-13, 05:46 PM
kalali
Pole Position

You need to find a good local mechanic. Those chain shops like Midas and Amco are hit or miss.
Listen to what the folks are telling you here. You NEED to get rid off that "milky red" crap. You can either do it yourself or pay someone do it for you. Instructions are simple: drain and fill, repeat until the crap is out...

Quick Reply: Transmission.....Drain or Flush