RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

2001 HID headlights assemblies.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-13 | 02:13 PM
visikov
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 HID headlights assemblies.

I've been looking for over a year and a half now for some new headlight assemblies that will fit my car. Everyone that is sold online is for the halogen version of the headlights, my car has the connections for the HID version.

Currently I have 2 of the halogen version assemblies installed with the HID bulb hot-glued into place (yea, I know) and the ballast is taped and hot-glued onto the bottom of the assembly.

Has anyone been able to find new HID headlight assemblies anywhere online?
Old 09-23-13 | 02:55 PM
bmwboyee
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can find them on ebay but they will be extremely expensive.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...dlights&_sop=3

You are better off retrofitting your current lights if you REALLY want HID's.
Old 09-23-13 | 03:33 PM
visikov
Driver School Candidate

It's not that I want HIDs, it's that the connections coming from my car only fit HIDs. Plus I no longer have the old housings since they were mangled in am accident.

It seams like they just don't make the housing that fit the HID bulbs.
Old 09-23-13 | 05:39 PM
Boltzmann
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by visikov
It's not that I want HIDs, it's that the connections coming from my car only fit HIDs. Plus I no longer have the old housings since they were mangled in am accident.

It seams like they just don't make the housing that fit the HID bulbs.
Are the housings for the HIDs different than for the halogen lights?

I picked up a set of halogen headlight assemblies from some guy on craigslist for $40.
Old 09-23-13 | 05:53 PM
visikov
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Boltzmann
Are the housings for the HIDs different than for the halogen lights?

I picked up a set of halogen headlight assemblies from some guy on craigslist for $40.
Chances are your car has the Halogen version connections. For some reason mine is some sort of "special edition" version that is way to rare to make parts for. At least that's the conclusion I came to.

But yes, there is a difference. The halogen version of the headlight assembly has different socket's for the main bulb, it won't fit the HID bulb at all. You can kind of take off the small plastic ring (there's three screws on it) that's supposed to hold the halogen in place, place the HID bulb into the hole (CAREFULLY) and then reattach the plastic ring onto the assembly. Hot glue the whole thing afterwards, for water-proofing.

There's this other connector that the HID had, wasn't a bulb, excuse my lack of knowledge here but it was some kind of little rod that can get pushed in. I'm assuming it's a front impact sensor. But yea, the halogen version I got didn't have a slot for that either.

There is also no little plastic bay that holds the HID ballast on the bottom of the assembly. Everything else matches fine. It fits onto the frame and the other bulbs (high beams, blinker, parking light) just fine. Just that damn main bulb.

If you're replacing your own assemblies, be warned that it's a real pain in the ***. There are two nuts that you have to take off that you can only gain access to through the wheel well. So you need to take the wheel weel cover off and use a wrench extension then kind of feel around in there while in sitting in an awkward position on the ground.

Last edited by visikov; 09-23-13 at 05:57 PM.
Old 09-23-13 | 06:09 PM
Boltzmann
Driver School Candidate

But yes, there is a difference. The halogen version of the headlight assembly has different socket's for the main bulb, it won't fit the HID bulb at all.
I didn't know that. Thanks for telling me.

If you're replacing your own assemblies, be warned that it's a real pain in the ***. There are two nuts that you have to take off that you can only gain access to through the wheel well. So you need to take the wheel weel cover off and use a wrench extension then kind of feel around in there while in sitting in an awkward position on the ground.
Yeah, that's what I've gathered. I've had these new headlights for several months now and just can't get motivated to put them it. Seems like a PITA. I was hoping that there was an easier way to do it, i.e., something that doesn't require removing the wheel well covers.
Old 10-18-13 | 11:49 AM
bobkattkg
Driver School Candidate

See this link in the forum. Last reply should help.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...nightmare.html

Good luck!