RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Best place to tap switched power / cable routing thru firewall?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-03, 12:51 PM
IronHelix
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Best place to tap switched power / cable routing thru firewall?

Hey, i would have posted this in electronics but its kind of rx300 specific...
Anyway I'm installing a bunch of stuff (MP3, XM, CB Radio, external PA) in my 2000 RX, all of this will use a bunch of power, where is the best place to tap switched power?

Second, I think I'm going to mount the CB antenna beside the hood (so its either a hood clip or drilled into a nonpainted surface under the hood, this would allow a decent size antenna while still fitting inside my garage, I'm open to better ideas), but anyway the PA speaker wire and CB coax will need to be run through the firewall into the engine bay, is there already a conduit for this or do I need to drill? If so, where are they / where should I drill?

Third, how do I remove the front center faceplate (under the shifter)? I got the driver side panel off to install the GPS/radar/phone wiring (ghetto style jammed into the lighter plug fuse socket) but I couldnt figure how to get the front center panel off. Also may need to remove the main dashboard panel (MP3/XM goes on top of it so I need mounting brackets and wiring), where does this come off?

Should I just waste $100 and buy the two service manuals?
Old 01-19-03, 12:16 AM
salimshah

Received 1,045 Likes on 943 Posts

Aux Power in the back is switched and that leads me to think that the cigarette lighter is switched too (should be easy to check).

If you remove the plastic shell liner in the left front wheel well, you can access the rubber grommet through which the wire harness enter the cabin (high on the left side behind the instrument panel very near to the drivers door). You can squeeze couple of wires through before cutting a new hole in the grommet.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 01-19-03 at 12:20 AM.
Old 01-19-03, 07:50 AM
ederny
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Switched Power and fusing.

Iron,

Sounds like some interesting equipment you are adding. Keep in mind that each circuit like the cigarette lighter has a limit on the amount of current available for your aux equipment. That is, the wiring , switch, and fuse rating are designed to provide only so much current (Note: never increase the size of a fuse - could be a fire hazard).

Therefore, you might want to find a circuit with enough power for operation of your aux units. An alternative approach is to use new wiring from the battery with a relay (properly sized) driven by the switched power circuit. A relay typically takes very little current from the switched circuit and will not add to it significantly. This is the exact same reason you install a new wiring harness for those high power headlamps often sold for off road application such as the 100W+ bulbs!

Find someone to help if you are not sure about how to figure the required current draw and relay if you go that way.