RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

New (to me) intake and exhaust (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-03, 09:02 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New (to me) intake and exhuast (Pics)

My intake and exhaust from ronncat came in and I installed the intake on Friday and the exhaust this morning. It's was a little frigid this morning

The intake just plain sucks I notice the resonating, i'm guessing it's from the cold air box, at about 3k RPM in 3rd gear. The overall sound is normal until you punch it and it roars to life Sounds great!

Now with the exhuast on, the sound is great. Unless cruising normally you will hear it growl - both are docile and with normal driving. Only slightly louder overall than stock. At idle, with the exhaust, the note is a little lower as it is when driving at low speeds. It's just right. As for the look, I love it. The tip always looked a little big to me, but I think it works. The fitment works great with the trailer hitch installed. Clearance is not a problem.

Removing the bolts from the exhaust pipe was a pain (as was removing the hangers), but installing the new RMM took no time at all.

Thanks, ronncat, for packing the goods so well! Now all she needs is a good washing, but it's still below freezing in Jawga!

A two hour drive is coming up on Monday and I'll be sure to note any changes in fuel economy.

Last edited by LexRX; 01-18-03 at 09:04 PM.
Old 01-21-03, 01:05 PM
inthemix
Driver School Candidate

Default Share the knowledge

Looks sweet.

My RMM exhaust will be delivered this Thursday.

Would appreciate any uninstall/install instructions you can share with me to make my effort easier ("Removing the bolts from the exhaust pipe was a pain (as was removing the hangers").
Old 01-21-03, 02:36 PM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

Sweeet Nick... seems like your mods are coming along... congrats on your new stuff!!!

Old 01-21-03, 07:19 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Thanks for the compliments, I really like the sound of the intake and exhaust combo. I was having trouble with the exhaust rattling against the trailer hitch, but I believe I have fixed it as of today. One of the hangers was rattling against the back of the trailer hitch during certain RPM levels (about idle level).

inthemix, let me know if you have a trailer hitch and it rattles after installation. As for taking off the old muffler: Be sure and spray the two bolts with some penetrating oil; WD-40, something the day before. You will thank yourself the next day. After being bolted for two years they did not break loose easily. However, once you break them loose, the bolts unscrew easily. I cannot stress it enough, spray the bolts and let it sit overnight. Everyone doesn't have a He-Man powered Dad around to help I did not spray mine beforehand.

Now, the hangers: I don't know how it is supposed to be done, but I used a flathead screwdriver to help (along with, again, help from my dad) to get the hangers out of their rubber holders. We found it easiest to wedge the screwdriver in the hole of the rubber hanger-holder and use it's leverage to pull out the hanger. Unlike the hook design on the RMM exhaust, the stock muffler has "nubbins", or a larger metal end, on the end of the hanger. It's made not to slide out. Using the screwdriver will give you the extra room, and leverage, needed to get the hanger through the rubber. It didn't help that the temperature was at freezing and the rubber was less malleable. As I said before, installing is a snap. I was under the RX (which was elevated on ramps) and lying on a creeper with the exhaust supported by my knees. I reused the gasket; if you have time, I'd recommend buying a new gasket and replacing it. I would have, but didn't think of it in time. The original gasket looked fine, but it's good maintenance to go ahead a replace it while you're working down there.

Last edited by LexRX; 01-21-03 at 07:24 PM.
Old 01-21-03, 08:43 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Too Shweet! I'm interested in mileage reports and butt-dyno reports.

Next up for you...Ram Air Kit
http://www.weapon-r.com/ramair.html

What kind of air filter does the intake use?
Old 01-21-03, 11:31 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

So far gas mileage seems about the same. I'm going to have to wait until I can keep from pushing the gas down so far before I do a real report. I just love hearing it roar

On the drive back down to Middle Georgia, highway cruising speeds seemed more effortless than before. I do remember being able to squeal the tires a bit while moving. I was slowly driving, floored it, the RX downshifted and the tires squealed a bit. Don't remember ever being able to do that before.

I did not reset my ECU. I figure after a little while of driving with the new parts, it will automatically adjust as it's supposed to do.

According to Weapon-R, the air filter is supposed to be a Dragon Air Filter, but it doesn't look like the dragon. This is what it looks like:
Attached Images  

Last edited by LexRX; 01-21-03 at 11:32 PM.
Old 01-22-03, 11:18 AM
inthemix
Driver School Candidate

LexRX,

Thanks for the tips, especially the flathead screwdriver and WD-40.

Your information should make my uninstall a little easier.

Will let you know the results and post pictures shortly after install.

What a wonderful knowledge share forum!!

p.s. I am curious. Did the muffler come with any uninstall/install instructions or did you have to fend for yourself? If not, your tips should be forwarded to RMM. Maybe they could add them as a link on their website. Could also be added to the FAQ section of the forum.
Old 01-22-03, 02:36 PM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

sorry nick... thats not the dragon air filter... the dragon air filter has all these plasticy thing on the outside of the filter...

i purchased the new filter (Dragon Filter) recently and added it on.. felt better then old dirty one i had

Next time when i change my filter again, i'm gonna get a Apexi filter...
Old 01-22-03, 06:09 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

I noticed that I didn't have the flanges that I have been seeing on the Dragon filters, oh well, this one works fine for me.

I'm not sure if the exhuast comes with instructions - I bought mine used from ronncat. I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't; it's a pretty basic install. I hadn't ever done this before and had no problems figuring it out.
Old 01-27-03, 11:44 AM
inthemix
Driver School Candidate

Default It's Installed

My RMM exhaust was on the front porch when I went home for lunch Thursday.

Because of your excellent tips, it only took me 30 minutes to replace the exhaust.

What a great look and a sweet sound!!

Mileage seems to have improved (21.5 mpg mostly city driving). Can't wait to put it on the interstate for a couple hundred miles to see if i hit the 24/25 mpg range.

Here is a picture of the installed exhaust:

Here are shot of some of my other mods (Cobra Brush Guard, Mannix Side Rails):

Last edited by inthemix; 01-27-03 at 12:02 PM.
Old 01-27-03, 02:28 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Looks great inthemix, wasn't so bad was it. Did you use a screwdriver to help get the hangers loose from the rubber? How did unscrewing the bolts go?

I am waiting to report MPG changes for my next 2-hour trip home (this weekend). That is the most accurate way for me to measure b/c it takes a long average of highway driving and I always keep track of my MPG on my 2-hour journey.

Usually I average just over 26mpg at the end of my journey (the average slowly climbs the whole trip). I will give more details after this weekend.

Last edited by LexRX; 01-27-03 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-27-03, 02:47 PM
inthemix
Driver School Candidate

I did use the screwdriver. Without that tip, it would have taken me a while to figure out how to get the ends of the old hangers loose from the rubber.

On Thursday morning I took my vehicle to a local tire company that I do business with and asked them put my vehicle on their lift and free the bolts for me.

I thought that this was cheap insurance in case I could not get enough leverage to free them myself (I did not have a long handle wrench or ratchet handle). I rewarded them on Friday with 2 dozen doughnuts.
Old 02-02-03, 05:39 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

After my two hour trip down to Macon today I had an average of 25.8 mpg. That is about .6 mpg less that last time at 26.4. However, I attribute the lower mileage to a faster than normal driving through Atlanta. Overall, I would say highway gas mileage remains the same with these modifications. It's difficult to tell any city driving mpg differences since my city driving style varies so much, and so does when I take calculations.

I think it's safe to say that gas mileage remains constant with a slight increase in power.
Old 02-04-03, 04:09 PM
DJ SprinklesNJO
Lexus Test Driver

inthemix..... it looks like you stole my truck. lol well at least my truck in the future. it 'll look like that soon. i have everything u have except for the exhaust and A bar in front. oh and the tailgate bar. damn and the side bars.
funny thing is i came 1 hour prior to picking up an RMM exhaust and couldnt find the tailgate bar online to buy.
but i am planning to but th front bar, except not the A bar, just the one like RMM. but i also want to get the rear joas bar that looks the same, and the chrome side bars.
only thing is my truck is leased. so i want to find these items cheap as possible, doesnt matter if used or from one of these nice people on CL
some one help me out!
Old 02-05-03, 10:38 AM
inthemix
Driver School Candidate

DJ Sprinkles,

Hope you find what you are looking for cheap.

Although I could have guessed by your user name, I glanced at your profile and determined that we have things in common other than a black RX300.

I also own a mobile audio and DJ company. I work for a telecommunication products/services company by day.

Given current business conditions (serious layoffs over the past few years), I may eventually expand my business.

Currently it's just me, my wife and 2-3 sub contractors that I use when I have double bookings.

Maybe we can continue this discussion at this excellent site Pro DJ

Quick Reply: New (to me) intake and exhaust (Pics)