RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

P1153 code 3 hours labor ripped off by mechanic?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-13, 09:29 PM
mlgbwk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P1153 code 3 hours labor ripped off by mechanic?

Hi, got CEL on and P1153 (bank 2 sensor 1) code on my RX300 a few weeks ago.

Today I bring it to a mechanic shop, after a few hours they guy called me saying to replace the A/F sensor they need to take off the manifold since it is impossible to remove the B2S1 sensor without removing the manifold, and they have to weld it with bung, that's a lot of work. They charged $190 for labor. Does this price sound right?

Last edited by mlgbwk; 11-22-13 at 11:48 PM.
Old 11-23-13, 01:34 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by mlgbwk
Hi, got CEL on and P1153 (bank 2 sensor 1) code on my RX300 a few weeks ago.

Today I bring it to a mechanic shop, after a few hours they guy called me saying to replace the A/F sensor they need to take off the manifold since it is impossible to remove the B2S1 sensor without removing the manifold, and they have to weld it with bung, that's a lot of work. They charged $190 for labor. Does this price sound right?
B2S1 is readily accessible. Sounds like they broke the sensor trying to remove it and now they have to repair/modify the manifold to install the new sensor. I would not pay extra for the manifold work plus I would demand a new OEM manifold.
Old 11-23-13, 01:57 AM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

How many miles on your car? Has that sensor ever been removed?
Old 11-23-13, 06:06 AM
Baetke
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

My Lexus dealer replaced an exhaust manifold twice because they stripped the threads while removing an A/F sensor. I have done the job myself since with no problem. It does take patience but it can be done in less than an hour. Make sure to use anti-sieze on the threads of the new sensor.,
Old 11-23-13, 07:02 AM
salimshah

Received 1,061 Likes on 957 Posts

If you read enough post, you will find that a handful of folks had serious problems removing the sensor and striped the threads.

The best post I read was, the mechanic said, if the sensor comes out easy the charges will be xxx and if it is stuck then it will be xxx + some.

If the mechanic was careless, yes you can strip the threads, but at the same time, proper care and patience does not guarantee the sensor will come out without stripping the threads.

Was the mechanic careful or careless? Who can say.

Repair: If the bung hole was built up with weld and new threads were cut and the sensor was put in then it is an acceptable repair. Another option is to install a collar. But if the new sensor was welded in then it is unacceptable. [welded in meaning that you can not remove it by unthreading].
Better scenario would have been an option given to the owner about build-up-repair or replacing the manifold.

Labor time: The number of hours to do the replacement + repair seems reasonable. Who pays is another question

Real questions:
Was it carelessness that caused the problem?
Why the owner was not consulted for repair options?
Was the repair done properly?

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 11-23-13 at 07:05 AM.
Old 11-24-13, 11:12 PM
mlgbwk
Driver School Candidate

I guess that was exactly what happened, however I guess it is also possible that my manifold is really messed up after 14 years and it is impossible to remove the A/F sensor without destroying it...

anyway I did not keep any pics before the fix or notice if it was in really bad shape, so I guess ther e is not much i can complain to them...

Originally Posted by artbuc
B2S1 is readily accessible. Sounds like they broke the sensor trying to remove it and now they have to repair/modify the manifold to install the new sensor. I would not pay extra for the manifold work plus I would demand a new OEM manifold.
Old 11-24-13, 11:16 PM
mlgbwk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
If you read enough post, you will find that a handful of folks had serious problems removing the sensor and striped the threads.

The best post I read was, the mechanic said, if the sensor comes out easy the charges will be xxx and if it is stuck then it will be xxx + some.

If the mechanic was careless, yes you can strip the threads, but at the same time, proper care and patience does not guarantee the sensor will come out without stripping the threads.

Was the mechanic careful or careless? Who can say.

Repair: If the bung hole was built up with weld and new threads were cut and the sensor was put in then it is an acceptable repair. Another option is to install a collar. But if the new sensor was welded in then it is unacceptable. [welded in meaning that you can not remove it by unthreading].
Better scenario would have been an option given to the owner about build-up-repair or replacing the manifold.

Labor time: The number of hours to do the replacement + repair seems reasonable. Who pays is another question

Real questions:
Was it carelessness that caused the problem?
Why the owner was not consulted for repair options?
Was the repair done properly?

Salim

Thanks Salim! I guess no one can answer the real question #1 now since they claim it was in really bad shape and impossible to remove and they won't say it was their fault...

I will upload a pic soon, if im right i think the sensor can be removed later, the bung was like 1 inch away from the socket, I guess that was where is broken when they tried to remove it...careless or not..