RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Need Advice On Radiator Sealer

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-13, 10:09 AM
colenzae
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Need Advice On Radiator Sealer

I have an 02 RX with an original radiator whose cooling fins are corroding and falling off. I have not noticed any effect on ability to keep the engine cool. I can drive the car on a 90 degree day in heavy traffic with the A/C on (yes it still works!!!) and the temp gauge doesn't move.
My concern is this. I don't have the time to replace the radiator before I drive this car to Florida for the holidays and am kind of worried about the radiator.
So I thought about bringing a can of sealer with me on the trip but I have read mixed reviews on using these products.
What would you do?? Just drive down and keep your fingers crossed??
Old 12-16-13, 10:16 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

NO!! NO sealer!

It will clog up the heater core and other cooling passages. Stay far away from that.

My 2000 RX has the original radiator too, and I have no worries about it leaking or not being able to cool down the engine.
Old 12-16-13, 12:05 PM
colenzae
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
NO!! NO sealer!

It will clog up the heater core and other cooling passages. Stay far away from that.

My 2000 RX has the original radiator too, and I have no worries about it leaking or not being able to cool down the engine.
Thanks for the reply. I've heard the same. I've changed the fluid a few times using the toyota pre-mixed fluid and I see no corrosion at all looking down the radiator filler neck. I guess I have it in the back of my head that this should be replaced. I'm also reminded every time the car is in the shop. Last quote was $1,000+. Thanks. Ill do it myself…….
Old 12-16-13, 12:12 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by colenzae
Thanks for the reply. I've heard the same. I've changed the fluid a few times using the toyota pre-mixed fluid and I see no corrosion at all looking down the radiator filler neck. I guess I have it in the back of my head that this should be replaced. I'm also reminded every time the car is in the shop. Last quote was $1,000+. Thanks. Ill do it myself…….
You're welcome.

Yeah, much cheaper to do it yourself and you'll know it was done right with quality (i.e. OEM) parts.
Old 12-16-13, 02:43 PM
salimshah

Received 1,063 Likes on 957 Posts

Originally Posted by colenzae
I have an 02 RX with an original radiator whose cooling fins are corroding and falling off. I have not noticed any effect on ability to keep the engine cool. I can drive the car on a 90 degree day in heavy traffic with the A/C on (yes it still works!!!) and the temp gauge doesn't move.
My concern is this. I don't have the time to replace the radiator before I drive this car to Florida for the holidays and am kind of worried about the radiator.
So I thought about bringing a can of sealer with me on the trip but I have read mixed reviews on using these products.
What would you do?? Just drive down and keep your fingers crossed??
You did not mention that you have any leak.

Corrosion? The fins have a paint what you may be seeing is that paint falling off.The AC condenser gets the most abuse as it is in the front. Corrosion from inside can happen too, but if you have been using Toyota coolant, there should be no corrosion (or minimal).

Most of the problems happen when the top or the bottom parts develop a crack. Unfortunately, Lexus uses plastic top and bottom .. I would say they last about 20 yrs.

I would also like to hear from someone who has replaced the radiator by pushing the condenser away.

Sa;m