RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Remote Starter

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-03, 03:15 PM
redtoesblue
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Matt, I was curious, what is the specific model of the audiovox that you purchased. Also you said it works with the original FOB. What do you do to use it? hit panic to start? or hit unlock to start? also can you remotely turn it off? More details please.
Old 02-06-03, 01:33 PM
CDN_Lexus
Pole Position

How does the starter affect the engine immobilizer? Is it still active or is it rendered immobilized . One of the earlier replies mentions forgoing the valet key, I assume to access the chip to enable the starter. Does this chip remain somewhere in the vehicle in order to facilitate the start of the vehicle?
Old 02-06-03, 05:26 PM
MattS
Driver School Candidate

Default Model Number and Operation

The model number is Audiovox AS 9075.

The oepration:
Use factory FOB
Push "Lock"
Push "Unlock"
Push "Lock"

I am not sure if the immobilizer is still active, but I am rpetty sure it is. While researching for the other systems, I spoke with the installer and he explained why the immobilizer still works. They use a seconday module which can either contain a second key or valet key and this is only activated at remote sense of signal. Not active at all times, hence not right near the ignition.

I am very please with it, the only thing that I do not like is that it will not lock or unlock from the remote, but this is a function of Toyota engineering, try it without a remote start. Once your key is in, any button push results in nothing.

-Matt
Old 02-06-03, 05:28 PM
MattS
Driver School Candidate

Default Remote Turn Off

You can turn off the remote start by repeating the sequence or by repeating it on the key locks in the door or by pushing on the break pedal without the key inserted.

BTW, the installer had a tough time with this car (though it was expected) because the signal sent to the door locks is not a typical analog voltage signal. It is a digital signal which makes the installation significantly more difficult. I shopped around and had several places decline the business because of this "feature"

-Matt
Old 02-07-03, 11:38 AM
redtoesblue
Driver

so you press

lock
unlock
lock

and the car is started?

Wouldn't that make the doors locked though? what if you want to have the unlocked so you can just sit in the car and go?
Old 02-07-03, 11:56 AM
MattS
Driver School Candidate

Default Operation

It does leave the car locked. I would assume it can be programed to be an unlock ending combination if you wanted. I prefer it in the current configuration because it does not leave the vehicle unsecure. If you remote start it, you generally are not right next to the car or even in sight the entire time, so I would prefer the vehicle to be secure. I typically will start it then finish up some stuff while it warms up then return to the car, unlock the doors, get in and go, nice and toasty (cold here this time of year.)

-Matt
Old 02-07-03, 12:17 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by redtoesblue

Wouldn't that make the doors locked though? what if you want to have the unlocked so you can just sit in the car and go?
That's the trade-off for having the control programmed into your Lexus key. You don't have to carry the alarm control fob. Carry the fob and the key and you can do what you'd like.

With this setup, you'll have to choose. IMO, it's no big deal. Just stick the key in the lock, turn it, sit in the car and go.

The first remote starter I saw was in the fall of 1997 on a new 1998 Acura TL. He had to do the same thing. Start the car remotely and unlock it with his key. If he didn't unlock the car within 5 minutes, the car would shut down.

At the time, It ranked up there as one of the coolest things I had ever seen....
Old 02-07-03, 12:37 PM
MattS
Driver School Candidate

Default ? To Those with Starters already

For those that have starters on their RX, with the extra FOB to carry around, will your doors still unlock from your standard key remote when started? I would wager a guess not, but would not be surpised by the ingenuity of a determined installer.

-Matt