RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Altezza Taillights

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-03, 03:13 PM
flossn
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The tailights aren't quite that easy but almost. You can reuse all your wires/bulbs except the turn signal ones. The new lights come with amber bulbs that you will need to use as the old ones are clear. I spliced this bulb into the stock harness, which may or may not be the way to go, although it is the fastest/easiest. Ever since then that stupid tailight warning light will not go out. I haven't been to the dealer yet to see if they can turn it off but i'm sure they won't be too helpfull. Anyone else who's put these light on have this problem?
Old 02-03-03, 04:10 PM
ederny
Pole Position

flossn...

...I thought the Altezza tail lights were a direct drop in? What is this splicing-in thing all about?

Last edited by ederny; 02-03-03 at 04:22 PM.
Old 02-03-03, 05:38 PM
flossn
Lead Lap

They are a direct bolt on, but the turn signal bulbs are different. If you look at the 99-00 style lights, the turn signal lens is what's amber, they use a clear bulb. The 01-03 lights have a clear housing and use a amber bulb. The new lights ( I got mine from procarparts.com) come with new wiring harnesses and bulbs. Now for the inner set of lights you can just use the wires/bulb that are already on your car. The outter set of lights you can reuse the factory wires/bulbs for the brake light but since the amber bulb they send you for the turn signal is a differnt type, it won't fit in the factory socket. I just cut that socket off and spliced the new one onto it.

The longer way for the outter lights is to use the new wiring harness they sent you but you have to pry out the grommet on the car to get to the plug in. Since those grommets can be a pain to get back in, I just did the splicing method. This will all make since when you are looking at them.

Like I said I have that tailight warning light on and i'm wondering if the new amber bulb they sent is causing the problem. I would like to hear if anyone else with these lights is having the same problem. If not how did you install the turn signal lights?

Sorry so long, I haven't seen this discussed before so I figured everyone could learn from this.
Old 02-04-03, 01:48 AM
ederny
Pole Position

Default Makes more sense now!

Thanks for th e detail - I'll be prepared for when I get a set. I've been waiting for Procar parts to offer then again. How long ago did you get yours?

For the taillight-out indicator, the only thing that comes to mind is the wattage being different for the new bulb - you might compare.
Old 02-04-03, 03:35 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Flossn-

Could you have just bought another amber light with the same socket and wattage that fit into the old harness? This might have saved you some splicing, or changing out the harness to get the right color bulb for the turn signal.

I'm wondering what other CL members have done when they upgraded their tail lights. I haven't heard of any problems, although they may have switched out the wiring harness and gone through the grommets.

Let us know if you get the light warning on your dash resolved. I think it may be the wattage difference too.

Art
Old 02-04-03, 03:40 PM
shmelvin
Driver School Candidate

Default Bad splice?

Pulling the grommet wasn't that difficult. If you are going to do it, do it right. I have had no problem with the warning light. Your splicing may be the problem.
Old 02-04-03, 04:11 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm still waiting for the vendor to get the part in. I'd probably check on the slice if the wattage of the bulbs are the same. That may be the problem too.
Old 02-04-03, 08:42 PM
flossn
Lead Lap

Well I soldered the connections so I'm guessing the wattages must be different, although others haven't posted any problems and they most likely would've used the same bulbs. I'll keep ya posted.

I got mine a couple months ago and apparently I got one of the last sets because when I went back to their page to track the shipment they had changed the lexus altezza page to "coming soon".
Old 02-06-03, 07:40 AM
DeeVonn
Driver

hey do u mean procarparts already have the stock for the altezza tail light ??
how much did u pay for it ?
Old 02-06-03, 05:22 PM
flossn
Lead Lap

They were in stock when I ordered them ( a couple months ago) but from everything i've read on this page they are currently out of stock. They came to about $200 after tax. On a side note I have a extra outter passenger side altezza light if anyone's interested, it's OEM. It's I was going to piece together a OEM set but just decided to buy the aftermarket set from procarparts.
Old 02-08-03, 10:48 PM
TRDHarrier
Rookie

I got those tails for my car and added TRD taillight covers cuz I dont really like altezzas. My car is on cardomain.com. Look under lexus Harrier AWD w/ LSD
Old 02-11-03, 01:47 PM
badams
Pole Position

Are the tailights from www.procarparts.com good quality? I was going to just fork out the $850.00 to get an original set from the dealer, but if the ones from www.procarparts.com are good quality (and if they ever get them in stock again...they've been out for 3 months now), then I'll wait longer and buy the cheaper ones.

But like I said, if www.procarparts.com ever gets them in.

Anyone know what brand of taillights they are? Can we get them anywhere else other than www.procarparts.com?

I'm tired of waiting!

Thanks,
badams
Old 02-11-03, 02:53 PM
TRDHarrier
Rookie

I cracked my 2000 tails when I smashed a luggage wheel right into it. Lexus was over $400 for the right side. I was like, forget it, my Lexus can look a little ugly on the tails. Then I found it at procarparts when they first came out for $200. They are pretty good. To avoid any chances of water seeping through, I placed a good amount of crazy glue all around the place where the lens and plastic housing meet. Since I hated the way altezzas look, I even put the TRD taillight covers on. You can buy these at www.myautofashion.com. Ask them for a discount. The guy Hiro gives me a 10% discount while even got me a $500 off the body kit. I purchased a TRD body kit for $1500 shipped.
Old 02-11-03, 04:13 PM
flossn
Lead Lap

The procarparts tails are identical to the factory ones and great quality. The box they came also said Depo auto lamps, if that helps.
Old 02-11-03, 04:34 PM
badams
Pole Position

Thumbs up

Thanks! I'll search the web for "Depo", I am tired of waiting for www.procarparts.com. I've been waiting three months and each time I ask they keep telling me to check back in 2 weeks for the lights. I'll get them elsewhere.

Thanks again,
badams

Quick Reply: Altezza Taillights