RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Traded in our RX300 - No 330 for us!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-03, 04:20 PM
dchesanek
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I doubt anyone in the front or rear seats are going to be uncomfortable in the RX330 so having a few extra inche's is a non issue, plus you make a lot of assumptions on the RX330 interior space. How about coming up with some exact numbers?? As far as performance if you use the FX35 for a price comparison the performance issue is another non-issue and if I want a performance vehicle I'm not going to buy and SUV.

I do not think the FX is going to take away much in the way of sales from the RX330. The RX330 has a more conventional style vs the design of FX35/45/Murano. I never heard anyone say the RX is ugly, where as some people think the FX35/45 and not to exclude my SC430 , think they are ugly. I know I'm going to hear all the thumbs up you get from the FX45 and I get the same from my SC430 but I also do not live in a tunnel and know a lot of people think they are ugly, but who cares.

I'm glad you love your FX but you also dismiss every other SUV out there as any type of competition to your beloved FX. You did it as the "FX45 Cayenne Crusher" and now your at it again.

Last edited by dchesanek; 02-05-03 at 04:20 PM.
Old 02-05-03, 06:01 PM
RXKen
Driver

Your statements couldn't be further from the truth, I simply compared the FX45 to the Cayenne and posed the question why didn't Porsche make the Cayenne perform better?

I know a LOT of people who don't like the look of the RX300, so you have to admit that some people think it is ugly too, I've heard it compared to a mini-van on more than one occassion, but as you say, you simply have to ignore those comments...
Old 02-06-03, 06:10 AM
jpappas123
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What part of the country are you driving the FX in? I live in Pittsburgh and I saw the first FX on the road a week or two ago during a snow squal.

Id be surious to hear more of your thoughts on the FX cause I too am not sold on the RX330. But I love my RX300!!
Old 02-06-03, 06:27 AM
jpappas123
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked at the pics and I see you have a G35. I have one too. Tell me honestly how does the FX handle...is it truely G35 like?

J
Old 02-06-03, 07:52 AM
RXKen
Driver

Jpappas123,

I did a review of the FX45 compared to the G35 on freshalloy.com, here's the exact link:

http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthre...b=5&o=&fpart=1

If after reading that you have additional questions let me know. I am located in Kansas and we just got hit with a sudden snow storm yesterday, the FX45 did just fine, in fact everyone else was slowing me up!
Old 02-06-03, 08:47 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First, RXKen, that is one fine looking truck. (I can call it a truck, can't I? )

Second, I have to commend the RX guys here. You guys really know how to conduct a positive debate with real substance and without getting nasty or childish.

Carry On.
Old 02-06-03, 09:31 AM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Traded in our RX300 - No 330 for us!

Originally posted by RXKen
Through my work I had the chance to drive the RX330, the Cayenne, Touareg and several other model SUV's for comparison purposes.
Black is beautiful!

Just curious...How it is you got to drive the RX 330?
Old 02-06-03, 09:33 AM
RXKen
Driver

Through my work, analyst reviews, we get to review things and play with things ahead of time, sometimes, way ahead of time.
Old 02-06-03, 07:19 PM
gr8330
Rookie

Default RXKen

I drove a FX35 today, with sport pkg, and was very impressed except for the ride, I could feel every bump, reminded me of my old Acura TLS. Did you drive a FX35 with sport, if you did how does the ride compare to your FX45? They didn't have any with the Technology pkg otherwise I might have tried to deal.
Old 02-07-03, 12:10 AM
Harrier330
Driver School Candidate

Well sorry to say this but you have made I big mistake. Ok Iam also not into the new RX330 design and features and will not be getting it as I planed, however how can you choose the FX over the touareg. IMO the touareg is a better looking SUV inside and out not to mention the super technology it has, with the V8 or V10 should easyly be more powerful compared with the FX. I already have a V8 touareg pre-ordered and cant wait for it to arrive
Old 02-07-03, 12:14 AM
Harrier330
Driver School Candidate

Might as well change my name to TouaregV8 over harrier330
Old 02-07-03, 05:18 AM
RXKen
Driver

We didn't choose the Touareg for a couple of reasons:

1) We didn't like the looks, either inside or out, I know looks are subjective but between the Cayenne and the Touareg we liked the Cayenne better. FX more than both.

2) Price and Availability - We could get a V8 FX45 now for less than waiting on a Touareg down the road.

3) Touareg is HEAVY - Much like the Cayenne the power of the motor is wasted pulling a heavy car around all the time. Gas mileage is better in the FX, we are averaging between 17 and 18mpg now (city driving), just a couple under what we used to get in the RX300.

4) Nav system in the FX45 is better, Cruise control is better, DVD system, it goes on and on for technology features.

5) The FX45 outhandled the Touareg, both the Cayenne and the Touareg felt more like traditional SUV's that tend to wallow, true they were more X5 like than say RX300 like, but still didn't compare to the handling of the FX.

There are probably other reasons too.

I'm not saying the Touareg is a bad car or even a bad choice, it just wasn't the right choice for US, so while the FX45 might be "1 big mistake" for you, for us the Touareg would have been "1 big mistake", actually I wouldn't use that strong of language, it simply wouldn't have been the car we wanted. Enjoy the Touareg when you get it and let us know what you think after driving it for awhile.

Gr8330 - The FX45 comes with the equivalent of the sport package on the FX35 standard. I agree that the Tech package really completes this car, without it I'd miss too many things. As for the ride, I find that it really depends on 2 things, the pavement you are on, and the air pressure in your tires. Evidently the cars are shipped with around 45psi in the tires but are supposed to be lowered to 34psi when prepped only that some dealerships prep people are forgetting to do this. The Tech package shows you tire pressure on the dash so you can easily check it in a Tech car to see if that's the problem. Otherwise the words I usually use are "Firm but compliant" meaning that it doesn't slam you into every bump, but you did get the feel of the road as you would in any sports car. For those who are use to driving a softer riding car where the suspension absorbs everything, this may not be the car for them. For those who like driving sports cars and want to feel what's going on and be connected and in tune with their driving experience, this is the car for them. Different strokes for different folks, that's all. We've take our FX45 on a 550+ mile trip and only once on that trip did we notice the pavement being so bad as to be bothersome in the car. This was crossing 3 states, and as you probably know some states have better roads than others.

Last edited by RXKen; 02-07-03 at 05:19 AM.
Old 02-07-03, 07:54 AM
Crutcher
Driver School Candidate

Any know of a 3rd party head-on review of the Fx35 vs. the Rx330. Now that would ba a Car and Driver or Motortrend Article to read!

I appreciate the discussion here but it seems that everyone will always think that their choice is the best (and for obvious reasons -- for $40k+ you should feel like you got the best one and that everything else is second).

I'm also really interested in the debate on cargo room as that was one reason I initially had thrown the Fx35 out of the mix. For me, the Touareg is still out because I just can't see paying $40k+ for a VW.

Thoughts?
Old 02-07-03, 10:18 AM
RXKen
Driver

I think the Touareg is a better deal than the Cayenne, but that's not saying much as I would think you'd take a bath on resale value. We had considered a Passat W8 at one point and I'm glad we didn't, even those "limited" VW's took a hefty plunge in resale value in the last 6 months. Obviously, the smart thing is to go out and check out each car in person and come up with the things that are important to you and match the car to your needs. There's no substitute for first hand experience!
Old 02-07-03, 11:01 AM
white01
Driver

I too have driven an FX - and I think I might be headed in that direction. For what I'm looking for - emphasis more on the sport side as opposed to a true SUV "type" vehicle, the FX fit's that role nicely. I drove a FX-35 2WD Sport model and I was pleased with the peformance. I don't have to worry about snow or slush. All I require is something with a slight bit of ground clearance for the occasional flooding that occurs here in South Florida. Not to mention I like that the FX is rear drive biased. If any of you like sporty perfoming vehicles you owe it to youself to give the FX a try. However, If you are concerned about a pillow soft ride and road harshness being "totally" filtered out you need not apply. Just don't do it to yourself.

If any of you have driven the new 350-Z and are familiar with the exhaust note - I'm happy to say the same tonal quality is present in the FX-35. I haven't driven the FX-45 yet, but I will do so with the wife and kid on Saturday. All I can say the FX-35 isn't hardly slow so the 45 must move out rather nicely with 329ft/lbs. I just what to get a seat of the pants comparison - the price point of the 2WD Sport is closer to what I what I am willing to spend.

As RXken has implied - it's all about preferences - some may not like the "overt" sportiness of the FX, Infiniti is not making any apologies for it either. As far as Cargo room is concerened the FX appears to be a bit thrifty in that department. I 've only folded my rear seats once, and I have a JL-Sub box in the back. I can still make do with 3 suit cases frequently, and up to 5 on occasion without removing the box.

BTW: The FX has some X-5 owners baited. Some have reported a better driving experience with the Infiniti. Check bimmer.org

Last edited by white01; 02-07-03 at 11:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Traded in our RX300 - No 330 for us!