RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Auto Headlamp On 2000 RX300

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-14 | 03:12 PM
appsdba
Rookie

Default Auto Headlamp On 2000 RX300

Hello All,

When I set my headlamps to auto so it can turn on automatically when it's dark and off when when it's bright. Here's my situation: at night, when I have the headlamps set to auto, I turn off the engine but the lights are still on. I have to turn them off manually and then back on auto the next morning. On my wife's Lexus LX470, the lights turn off when the engine is turned off.

Please let me know if this is normal or if I am doing something wrong.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 12-04-14 | 04:03 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Leave them on and use the key fob to lock the doors. See if that shuts them off.
Old 12-04-14 | 04:35 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

As Carguy07 mentioned try using the key fob, generally pressing the lock button twice will turn off the lights.
Old 12-05-14 | 09:46 AM
salimshah

The courtesy delay on your wife's vehicle has been set to '0'.

Please check the Cbest (dealer programmed) option. If there is one, you can ask the dealer to set it for you (will cost labor). OR as suggested double lock (in quick succession) should shut them off.

I feel the feature is current hog as my garage is lighted, so I manually turn on and off the lights. When I use valet at night, they tend to set it to auto and when I come home, I do the two clicks and leave the panel lights on

Salim
Old 12-08-14 | 10:21 AM
appsdba
Rookie

Originally Posted by hypervish
As Carguy07 mentioned try using the key fob, generally pressing the lock button twice will turn off the lights.
Hello Carguy07 & Hypervish,

Thanks for your input. Unfortunately, when I purchased the car (used), it did not come with a key fob....just they door/ignition key, which I have another thread open for advice on that one and I would appreciate any thoughts you may have on that (Keyword search is Universal Key FOB).
Old 12-08-14 | 10:26 AM
appsdba
Rookie

Originally Posted by salimshah
The courtesy delay on your wife's vehicle has been set to '0'.

Please check the Cbest (dealer programmed) option. If there is one, you can ask the dealer to set it for you (will cost labor). OR as suggested double lock (in quick succession) should shut them off.

I feel the feature is current hog as my garage is lighted, so I manually turn on and off the lights. When I use valet at night, they tend to set it to auto and when I come home, I do the two clicks and leave the panel lights on

Salim
Hello Salim,

Thanks for your input. Is there a way I can find out on my own if I have the Cbest option and, if I do, would you happen to know how to set it? I really hate to go to the dealer for two reasons:

1.) They are costly and when I do go to them for a particular service, they "magically" find another problem with my car and advise me that it "needs to be repaired urgently" when in reality I found out it's no big deal when I research on this forum.
2.) I'm a DIY-er and I love working on my car & my wife's car as well.

Thanks again to you and everyone on this forum for your valued advice.
Old 12-08-14 | 02:13 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by appsdba
Hello Salim,

Thanks for your input. Is there a way I can find out on my own if I have the Cbest option and, if I do, would you happen to know how to set it?

Unfortunately, for early RX models the Cbest options were only "Dealer" options. Later models made some options as 'owner options', and they would be listed in the owner's manual.

I would suggest that you call the dealership service rep and confirm that the option you want is what they can set. Then it is a matter of paying them 1/2 labor or living with what you have.

The dealer gives the new owner one shot at the settings to be set to your liking for free. [first service is free]

Salim
Old 12-08-14 | 07:39 PM
appsdba
Rookie

Originally Posted by salimshah
Unfortunately, for early RX models the Cbest options were only "Dealer" options. Later models made some options as 'owner options', and they would be listed in the owner's manual.

I would suggest that you call the dealership service rep and confirm that the option you want is what they can set. Then it is a matter of paying them 1/2 labor or living with what you have.

The dealer gives the new owner one shot at the settings to be set to your liking for free. [first service is free]

Salim
Okay, thanks a lot, Salim, for your valued input.
Old 12-09-14 | 05:06 PM
appsdba
Rookie

Hey Guys,

Just FYI, I read my owner's manual and discovered that when the headlamp is set to auto, I should turn off the ignition, lock & close the doors and the lights should turn off within 30 seconds. So I did that and, lo & behold, the lights went off after 30 seconds.

Thanks again for your advice.