RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Freshly Washed & Polished

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-03, 01:12 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Freshly Washed & Polished

It's my spring break this week and the weather has been sunny and 70's No better time to make the RX nice and shiny. I spent my Monday with a wash, clay, wash, polish. The paint feels is super smooth. I also applied a coat of polish to the windshield for the same smooth effect. I used Zaino Z2 to polish.

Enough talk, time for some pictures. It's not easy to get a Burnished Gold RX to look shiny but a heck of a lot easier to keep clean. She has her battle scars from the highway, but still looks great after 2.5 years.

Last edited by LexRX; 03-11-03 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-11-03, 04:16 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Schweet! Another beautiful Lexus.

I'll clay next month, after the pine pollen drops.
Old 03-11-03, 08:53 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Daddy-O, do you have a California Car Duster? Mine stays in the car and it gets the most use around the pollen season. I just used it today after having driven on paved, but dusty country roads to easily lift the dust off the polished paint.
Old 03-12-03, 02:30 AM
ktboy
Driver School Candidate

also after wash
Old 03-12-03, 07:03 AM
Goncookoo

NICE dude, ZAINO... good stuff! I love the showroom shine you get with that.

I wish my burnished gold RX looked as clean and nice as yours.

living here in Boston and getting stupid mini-snow storms every week has made my RX into a salty monster. There is no use in washing it and wasting the money. the melting snow/salt/sand just gets it dirty again in a sec.
Old 03-12-03, 07:12 AM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by LexRX
Daddy-O, do you have a California Car Duster?
Oh, yeah...Nick, I couldn't do without it, particularly with my 202 Black Onyx paint. It sure keeps my RX looking good, fast. I recommend it highly. A quick dusting, followed by some quick detailer spray and, in less than 10 minutes, it looks like I just washed and waxed.
Old 03-12-03, 08:27 AM
BadAZZlexi
Driver School Candidate

Default Silly Question...

But the heck is clay?
Old 03-12-03, 08:49 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

A claybar is used to remove conataminants that are embedded in the paint. After a good pass with a clay bar, the paint should feel smooth without all the little particles you can feel but usually not see.

Zaino Bros and Mothers both have a claybar, check below for a better explanation of what exactly using a claybar does.

http://www.zainobros.com/files/info.htm#ZFX (scroll down to Z18)

http://www.mothers.com/products/products.html (click on "paint care" and scroll down)

Last edited by LexRX; 03-12-03 at 08:51 AM.
Old 03-12-03, 02:07 PM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Lookin' top notch LexRX!!! Couldn't possibly look any nicer.

I still owe you pics of my TT don't I? Waiting for some nicer weather here in WI so I can ZAINO before I take the pics... I have quite a few nice mods to show off now too, so I can't wait to post 'em for you!
Old 03-12-03, 02:15 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Yeah, I never did see any TT pics

I took a couple little videos of me starting the RX and accelerating to show the sound of the exhaust+intake. I also have a couple sound clips of the same. I am trying to find a way to upload the videos (mpeg) and audio (.wav or .mp3) to my website so y'all can see them.
Old 03-12-03, 02:43 PM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

I took a couple little videos of me starting the RX and accelerating to show the sound of the exhaust+intake. I also have a couple sound clips of the same. I am trying to find a way to upload the videos (mpeg) and audio (.wav or .mp3) to my website so y'all can see them.
That'd be AWESOME! I had both of those mods on my RX, so I got to experience those sounds/sights in person and I wouldn't own an RX w/o those two mods! For those that haven't heard the sound of exhaust + intake, I think there'll be a lot of new people wanting those two performance parts - heck, RMM and WR oughtta be paying you royalties!
Old 03-12-03, 03:39 PM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

That'd be AWESOME! I had both of those mods on my RX, so I got to experience those sounds/sights in person and I wouldn't own an RX w/o those two mods! For those that haven't heard the sound of exhaust + intake, I think there'll be a lot of new people wanting those two performance parts - heck, RMM and WR oughtta be paying you royalties!
Old 03-12-03, 05:49 PM
ederny
Pole Position

Default Here in the great white north...

Speaking of salt, snow and mud...

My silver RX has been white for months. The salt just kills me - I can't sleep at night. My 911 stays covered up and silent all winter.

Got myself a power washer this winter so I could spray off the salt and do a decent job on the under carrage and wheel wells.

You guys who live in the south... lucky dudes for sure.

More snow tomorrow up here in Boston, then the big melt this weekend - more mud and dirt on the RX. Oh well! We'll just keep after it, and in a month or so, we'll break out the clay too.

But, thanks for the insperation. Can't wait for that first warmer weekend so I can get going.
Old 03-12-03, 06:01 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Here in the great white north...

Originally posted by ederny
You guys who live in the south... lucky dudes for sure.
I rototilled my garden today.
My RX is shiny and clean.

Here's my 5-day forecast:
Attached Thumbnails Freshly Washed & Polished-untitled.gif  

Last edited by Daddy-O; 03-12-03 at 06:16 PM.
Old 03-12-03, 07:05 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Ahhhh, it was nothing but sun, low humidity, 75 degrees here in North Georgia today Daddy-O, you've got me beat on the forecast. We'll have the warmth, but some rain thrown in there for a couple of days.

Quick Reply: Freshly Washed & Polished