RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Engine Noise//Oil Treatment

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-03, 06:33 PM
Oivey2000
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Engine Noise//Oil Treatment

Wondering if anyone has experienced this. I just purchased a 2003 Lexus RX300. I notice a constant, rapid "ticking" or "clicking" sound coming from the engine. It sounds like valves, or possible injector noise. It's more prevalent when the engine/weather is cold, and you hear it mostly at idle. It smoothes out quite a bit when the engine is warm, but is still there in addition to the normal engine idle. Anyone experience this before? Does it sound like something I should be concerned with, or just the way this engine is designed?

Also, I'm considering switching to Mobil 1 synthetic oil at my first oil change and keeping up with it. I've never used synthetic before, but I have used Slick 50 in all of my other cars. Is it not necessary to treat the engine with such a "one-time" oil treatment as long as I plan on sticking with synthetic for the life of the vehicle? If using an one-time oil treatment would still be beneficial, even if I use synthetic, is Slick 50 good....or are there better treatments that anyone would recommend? I'm just not sure if using synthetic would eliminate the need to use an oil treatment.

And is there a difference between "Mobil 1 with Synchron" and "Mobil 1 Tri-Synthetic" and, if so, which one would you recommend?

Replies Appreciated!
Old 03-14-03, 05:30 AM
ederny
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oivey,

The clicking noise at idle is from the injectors. Do a search on "injector noise" and you will come up with lots of discussion on the subject. I've heard it in my '99 and all RXs seem to product the noise at one time or another. Bottom line is "not a problem"

There is a lot of discussion on syn oils as well. I don't believe youneed to treat with Slick 50. Has anyone run across positive test results or analysis on Slick 50?
Old 03-14-03, 06:52 AM
Lexmexico
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oivey2000,

Do you hear this sound just as you begin to accelerate, and then it dies out?

I generally hear a sound similar to what you are talking about, but like ederny said the engine needs time to warm up. It is not a problem.

As I have recommened to others fill up with some Techron. Down here in Mexico, the Pemex 93 is awful Premium gas but you have no choice. I buy Techron at the Costco, and no more injector problem.

I have tried both blends of Mobil 1 down here. I use a 15W-50 weight as I have found the 5W-30 and 10W-30 weights burned too much oil at the 8,000 foot altitude here in Mexico City. I have had no problems what to speak with the new Mobil 1 blend, although some people have claimed it is a crummier base stock than the the older tri-synthetic. Seems to me the new blend flows much faster.

I have never used Slick-50, but I have used Restore injector cleaner and their oil treatment. Both fine products. Some people also recommend AutoRX.
Old 03-14-03, 07:47 AM
Oivey2000
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for the tip on searching for "injector noise". i'm new to this site so it's much appreciated.

for those who use Mobil 1 Synthetic, is their "tri-synthetic" oil the product to choose, or their "Mobil 1 w/Synchron"?