RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Help please! I left sunroof open in rainstorm...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-03, 11:55 AM
Kristin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Help please! I left sunroof open in rainstorm...

Please help my poor RX. It has less than 1000 miles on it. I left the sunroof open last night and it rained. It is soaked. Of course my manual was sitting in the seat and it ruined. It seems to have soaked mostly the front floors, seats and rear floor. The leather looks like crapola. Any advice? I pulled it in the garage (I know I should have thought of that last night!). I have taken out the mats and tried to soak up any water. I leaned the seats back to attempt to dry them better. All doors and windows are opened. What else should I do to save my car?? Should I run the heater to get the water out of the ducts? It is about 55 out and muggy.

At the present time, the electrical is all still working.

Thanks!
Kristin
Old 03-18-03, 12:56 PM
ganglandstyle
Driver School Candidate

I assume you are in Dallas, as I am--get the car down to Sewell Lexus and tell them what happened--they know how to handle this--probably no permanent damage.

Tell us how everything comes out!
Old 03-18-03, 01:25 PM
Kristin
Driver School Candidate

Yes, I am in Dallas. I don't really like Sewell. I drove out to Park Place and got a much better deal and much better service. I don't want to go there in case I do trigger some electrical problems, I'd rather not admit to this flooding. It is starting to dry. I would assume that I need to go buy the good leather cleaner and conditioner from the dealer and try to salvage the seats I guess. I am glad it was not any worse of a storm. You know we do get those soakers. The funniest part of all of this is that I remarked to my husband that he forgot to put the kids' electric jeep in the garage last night. I ran out in the rain this morning to put it in side while my beautiful car sat exposed. Oh well, it will stay garaged for every now. We just moved into our new house and there are too many boxes to get in there last night. I might reconsider bringing the car to the dealer. I will keep you posted.
Old 03-18-03, 01:43 PM
gsenthil
Pole Position

Default Water/leather

You might consider going to the dealer. There is a lot of non-warranty work the dealer will do as warranty (and bill the company for it) just to keep you. My passenger power outlet cover was broken by kids in the back that the dealer replaced free of charge on warranty.

Even if not- dont worry. A combination of Leatherique and/or Hide Care (also called Hide Food) should get the leather back to normal.

I was stuck in a storm with a leather jacket that was soaked and looked like dried newspaper (after bing wet) that I could restore to normalcy with a few applications of conditioner. The Lexus seats are tougher than that.

Hide Car/Food is a $15 jar (you might need 2 of those- though for regular RX a can would last 6-8 applications) and available at any Jaguar parts dept.

Let us know how it came through
Old 03-18-03, 05:49 PM
ederny
Pole Position

Default Kristin, not to worry...

Sorry to here about the interior wash

We all do something like that. I've already left a door ajar over night and drained the battery with the interior lights - twice in the last 2 months! I have to stop that... hard to get to work in the morning!

Anyway, let the leather dry real well and be sure to give it the hide food treatment as above! Be sure to see if it needs more than one application. Try not to use the seats too much until you can condition the leather to avoid stressing the creases (read that as cracking prematurely).
Old 03-18-03, 09:59 PM
salimshah

Received 1,046 Likes on 944 Posts

Pat dry everything.
Remove carpets and air them.
Use fan/s to dry out the interior. Rent the ones used to dry out carpets at home.
Leather can take water and should dry out fine. Avoid sitting on the seat till it dries out. Wet leather can get deformed.
Manual can be reordered free of charge through the dealer or Lexus site.

Luckily rain water is failry clean water and nearly all items are washed/rinsed in the manufacuring process.

Just let the things dry out and do not try to do things to make it worse. Note flooding is generally used for dirty water rising up.

Salim
Old 03-19-03, 01:03 PM
TeamStrykr
Driver School Candidate

You can call 1800 usa lexus to order an owners manual by phone.
Old 03-24-03, 09:37 PM
Kristin
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for all the great replies. I wanted to give you an update. It has all dried. The leather looks much better than I thought it would. I am planning on getting the leather food stuff very soon. Thankfully I don't have to drive much, so the seats mostly dried before they were used again. I apprecaite the Manual ordering info. I will definately do that too. You guys are great.

Kristin