RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Collision repair estimate reasonable?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-15, 08:02 AM
peachberry
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Collision repair estimate reasonable?

Front and side collision. First estimate to repair the exterior parts is $1800. Then today I was told and interior repair will cost addtional $8200. My car is 2002 RX300 and I can drive with no problem after the accident. Haven't had a chance to look at the secend evaluation yet. The report just went to my insurance company. Any suggestions?

Old 10-01-15, 12:54 PM
Lexusfixer
Rookie

There is a good bit of damage , a lot more that you cant see, you can be sure of that. You can never tell just how much damage has occurred until you pull it all apart. the crumple zones on Lexus vehicles do an excellent job at absorbing the impact but a lot of things get broken in the process , headlight mounts, plastic parts a/c components and on and on and on. Your insurance adjuster will do a visual inspection if the second estimate or what is called a supplemental claim for unseen damage is to high. Keep in mind, if the car has not been taken apart it is still just an estimate. In the end your insurance says what they will pay for your protection unless you have insurance from Billy Bobs insurance company.

When I stopped doing mechanical work for Lexus, I managed a Lexus body shop and was kind of shocked how much damage is often hidden and the high cost of repairing especially if you use Lexus parts only.
Old 10-01-15, 01:07 PM
Lexusfixer
Rookie

One other thing, take it to a Lexus body shop, or you may be dealing with wind noises and rattles like you would not believe. And don't be surprised if the vehicle is not considered a total loss, taking a second look at the photo I am seeing more damage than I did at first and I have not even seen the side impact area. I would not drive that car right now, seeing how far down the front portion of the belly pan is pushed down and back I would almost bet the core support is pushed in and to the right and you may have damage to vital components that could fail while driving it. when it gets dark, find a wall and park facing it leaving about 10-15 foot between the car and the wall, turn on your headlights and this will give you a better idea how bent the car is .

Last edited by Lexusfixer; 10-01-15 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-01-15, 07:18 PM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 261 Likes on 217 Posts

That's way over the blue book value for the car.

It's been my experience there are two very different estimates when it comes to collision repair.
A really high one when the insurance company is paying.
A more reasonable one when you are paying.
Old 10-02-15, 12:43 PM
Enz
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I know how you feel, I just went through the same thing. Luckily I found a 99 with a blown engine that I took the front end parts off. That estimate is a bit high. I don't think the ABS brake pump was damaged since its on the passenger side. That part alone is $2000 since the insurance company probably won't use a used one even from LKQ. you'll probably need a bumper cover, rail, and styro. lower grill, can't tell if rad/cond is tweaked if they are you'll probably need one of more - upper/lower and side rad supports. If its that bad even a new fan shroud if its cracked. looks likw you need the plastic cover under the bumper too. headlight might be damaged too not sure about fender. If you find a "parts" car, hopefully your insurance company will pay you back what you paid for the car because if that estimate holds they will total your car and this "parts" car will be your savior.

BTW, I parted the 99 so I have a lot of the parts including the bumper rail, drv fender, and a brand new driver's side headlight for an 02, (99-00 lights not same). Let me know if you need parts.

Hope this helps!
Old 10-05-15, 06:39 AM
peachberry
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Currently my case is in the damage department of my insurance company. Don't know whether it will be considered a total loss or not. But obviously the estimated repair cost is higher than the KBB value of my car.
Old 10-05-15, 06:49 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Its the air bag cost that is getting you....So sad...hope all goes well for you