RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Anybody using drilled/slotted rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-03, 12:11 PM
AgSport
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody using drilled/slotted rotors?

Anybody have experience with the iRotors.com drilled and slotted OEM sized rotors on their RX? I'm looking into buying a set of 4. They simply replace the original stock ones so no need to relocate the brake calipers. I'm not looking into doing a "Big Brake" conversion; I don't have much need to do hard braking on a regular basis, i.e. racing, etc. I only have 20K miles so I expect it to be a "mount & play" mod vs. doing a full brake overhaul. No grooves or pits on the rotors now so pad replacement may not be needed unless I decide on doing an upgrade.
Old 04-10-03, 01:49 PM
Lexmexico
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe I am misinformed, but I asked Lexus recently about using these things and they told me the warranty would be void (assuming it is still under warranty) if you used those types of rotors. Now that my car is off 50K, I am considering them.
Old 04-10-03, 02:19 PM
AgSport
Driver School Candidate

I'd guess the warranty issue would be up to ones' relationship with their dealership. I'm not at all worried about that...The Master Service Tech at our dealership has worked on all three of our Lexus vehicles (all modified to some degree beyond just wheels/tires) and haven't had any problems. The rotors are actually made as OEM units that have been drilled, slotted and then treated, so they're not really any different from a stock replacement installed by an outside mechanic/repair shop.

However, what I do expect from them is better braking performance and hopefully good looking brake rotors.
Old 04-21-03, 03:55 PM
p1fcl01
Rookie

Question Rotor from IROTOR

I too is looking into the IROTOR Cross Drill/Slotted rotors F/R and brake pads. Has anyone heard of IROTOR and how are their products?? I was qouted a very good price for my 99 RX300. They gave me F/R cross drilled/Slotted rotors for $269 and pads F/R for $85 plus $35 shipping, that's only $389 for everything and I will DIY myself with a friend. Any suggestion and feedback on this will app.....

Thanks,
Frankie
Old 04-21-03, 04:30 PM
AgSport
Driver School Candidate

I placed an order late Thursday PM for a set for my 2001 SilverSport after talking to them (iRotors.com) on the phone. The metal matrix pads are designed more for the hard, deep corner braking as in (autocross) racing, etc. and very appropriate for the other Lexus models. (Also ordered rotors + pads for my son's 2002 IS, those are suppose to be shipped early this week.)

Still waiting for delivery...hopefully end of this week. RX model are not in their regular inventory so it takes an extra 3-5 days to machine + the zinc plating (so they say). Will report back + photos when installed (DIY, too). Mention the ClubLexus connection and you can get a slightly better price ($260. rotors only) + shipping $20. to Northern Calif. (they're in Santa Ana, CA). From an earlier post on another forum they were having some problems w/ the zinc plating (used to minimize rusting); but now have a new vendor that solved a plating chipping problem.

I originally emailed them w/ questions + left a message; got a call back and email reply within 24 hours. Not great but still very decent. And Kim was easy to talk to and seemed to know their products. Plus, she claimed they'll send us some goodies if we get enough CL owners to purchase.