RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Car start up but engine die as soon as it start

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-15, 01:00 PM
dbui
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car start up but engine die as soon as it start

I was able to move my rx300 out of the garage this morning. but after couples hrs parking outside I want to move it back into my garage, put in the key crank the engine start but it die right after. I only did it a couples of times and stop let it sit outside for now, don't want to crank it anymore until I know what going on. Please help!
Old 12-12-15, 01:03 PM
da mayor
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check the MAF sensor
Old 12-12-15, 01:11 PM
dbui
Driver

Ok I had the MAF clean couple week ago when I did the oil change but I will check it again, what am I looking for on the MAF? the car would not stay on idle, engine start when crank up but it die right after, it can not hold and run on idle? any help would appreciate. Thanks

Last edited by dbui; 12-12-15 at 01:14 PM.
Old 12-12-15, 05:16 PM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

This from what I've learned on here could also be caused possibly by a dirty throttle body inside the air intake. U might want to take off the intake tube going from the air filter to the engine. Take a close look at it because if that's dirty that can cause issues such as this.
Old 12-12-15, 06:38 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts

Assuming you can keep it running with the throttle held open, then I would look hard at the IAC Valve. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...out-yours.html
Old 12-13-15, 05:05 AM
dbui
Driver

Thank you I will look at the IAC
Old 12-13-15, 01:51 PM
dbui
Driver

I just finished clean the IAC follow the DIY on the forum, everything went well the rotation **** was sticking a bit when I open but after spray and clean it moving freely but the symptom is still the same the engine crank over and run but went off as soon as I let go off the gas peddle,? are there anything I need to check after clean the IAC?

I put this in the Google Why does my car stall when I let go of the gas pedal?

It mentions the IAC and TPS.
Anyone knows about TPS(Throttle Position Sensor?) please advice? thanks

Last edited by dbui; 12-13-15 at 02:31 PM.
Old 12-13-15, 04:22 PM
salimshah

Received 1,046 Likes on 944 Posts

We have it covered well in our sticky .. having problems start here thread. RX owners should read that sticky before oogling.

RX gas pedal links with the intake with a cable.

TPS in RX is for kickdown (shift to lower gear when you punch down the pedal).

Freeing up the slug is one thing, but you need to make sure all passages are clean for air to make its way when the butterfly is shut (foot off the gas pedal). The other thing is that the coil of the IACV is getting the current through the ecu [check coil continuity and voltage being applied to it].

Salim
Old 12-14-15, 04:39 AM
dbui
Driver

Thanks Salimshah.
Old 12-14-15, 05:59 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts

seems like you have a vac leak situation where the intake tube between your throttle body and air box is causing your MAF sensor to read 0v...double check your clamps and ensure no hose rips.... ..or your maf sensor is dying and/or dirty. Often people mistake and clean the IAT probe in the MAF (red bulb) rather than the MAF sensor hot wire inside the longer tube.
Old 12-14-15, 07:20 AM
dbui
Driver

Thanks Fasnoypi I will recheck and double check again on these hoses.
Old 12-14-15, 07:59 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by dbui
Thanks Fasnoypi I will recheck and double check again on these hoses.

It is always good to double check your work before connecting the battery terminal. I hope you did remove the terminal as the ecu needs to re-learn the cleaned out IACV impact. [typically after the cleanup RX idles high]

I hope it is as simple a s a unconnected hose. IMHO that would give you erratic idle but the vehicle needs to operate within 'normal' range.

As our vehicles are getting near 200K, a throttle body cleanup may be required ... to clear all passages. And other than a cleanup at times the IACV may need to be replaced.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 12-14-15 at 09:03 AM.
Old 12-14-15, 08:13 AM
dbui
Driver

Thanks Salim,
I will recheck all the connections, after cleaning the IAC I did not disconnect the battery and reset the ECU, I will do it when I get home today. Cross my fingers hope this will help solve the problems.

Thanks everyone for you inputs. This forum ROCK!
Old 12-16-15, 05:12 AM
dbui
Driver

Update on the issue, I end up replacing the IAC and it works like a charm. The car is back in service Original owner After 15yrs and 240k it needs to be change. Still have the original IAC part, the air chambers look clean but the magnetic motor which rotate the gateway back and forth no longer working which cause the gateway to stuck and not rotating to idle the engine.

Thanks everyone for your input and advice.

Last edited by dbui; 12-16-15 at 05:16 AM.
Old 12-16-15, 07:00 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by dbui
Update on the issue, I end up replacing the IAC and it works like a charm. The car is back in service Original owner After 15yrs and 240k it needs to be change. Still have the original IAC part, the air chambers look clean but the magnetic motor which rotate the gateway back and forth no longer working which cause the gateway to stuck and not rotating to idle the engine.

Thanks everyone for your input and advice.
Glad its back on road. Did you check ohmage of the controller or just decided to replace it out.

Salim

Quick Reply: Car start up but engine die as soon as it start