RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Lower radiator hose

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-16, 08:39 AM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Lower radiator hose

Just as it states. Whats the easiest way to get the old lower radiator hose off when it comes time to change the hoses. This is something i feel i can handle on my own; especially the upper one. That one is like right there on top so ya just gotta remove that shield to get to it. I did try and search for it but did not find any threads on doing this so thats why Im asking.
Old 02-02-16, 09:01 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

If you need to search how to change a radiator hose, it's probably best you leave it to the professionals.

Is there a particular reason you feel the need to change the hoses?
Old 02-02-16, 12:01 PM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by matts6887
Just as it states. Whats the easiest way to get the old lower radiator hose off when it comes time to change the hoses. This is something i feel i can handle on my own; especially the upper one. That one is like right there on top so ya just gotta remove that shield to get to it. I did try and search for it but did not find any threads on doing this so thats why Im asking.
Really simple, make sure you drain the entire system, (forgot when I disconnected mine) the little drain valve located to the right of the lower radiator hose is really easy to open, it just simply twists off, then after it finally drains close it back and get a bucket, place it close to the hose. You'll just need a pair of good needle nose pliers, medium size flat head screw driver and vice grips they are optional but they helped squeeze down and hold the clip that secures the hose to the radiator, then just use the flat head to dislodge the hose till its almost off. Next just grab the bucket and put it under, pull the little bit of hose left on there by hand and let her drain! Reverse the steps to reinstall, i used ramps they made it so much more easier! good luck!
Old 02-03-16, 06:06 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by AnthonyMtz
Really simple, make sure you drain the entire system, (forgot when I disconnected mine) the little drain valve located to the right of the lower radiator hose is really easy to open, it just simply twists off, then after it finally drains close it back and get a bucket, place it close to the hose. You'll just need a pair of good needle nose pliers, medium size flat head screw driver and vice grips they are optional but they helped squeeze down and hold the clip that secures the hose to the radiator, then just use the flat head to dislodge the hose till its almost off. Next just grab the bucket and put it under, pull the little bit of hose left on there by hand and let her drain! Reverse the steps to reinstall, i used ramps they made it so much more easier! good luck!
Depending on age, hose can be much harder to remove than suggested by Anthony. Sometimes it is easier to make a relief cut with a utility knife/box cutter. Cut axially with a fresh blade. Make sure you do not damage the radiator outlet.
Old 02-03-16, 08:19 AM
matts6887
Racer

Originally Posted by hypervish
If you need to search how to change a radiator hose, it's probably best you leave it to the professionals.

Is there a particular reason you feel the need to change the hoses?
uh. no hyper. Sometimes ya just gotta take it upon ones self to get things done. Especially something simple like this. I am just inquiring because I have never had a vehicle where I had(well not had to but decided to really) do some of the maintenance items myself because all my previous vehicles were sold brand new so I had most stuff done by the dealer even though some things werent cheap. It was just easier for me time wise and other wise. .

Mostly simple stuff though like power steering fluid extracting, maf cleaning, hvac filter changing,; u know simple stuff.

As far as why i need to; well I dont think they need changing out right now because they arent cracking or anything like that and they dont feel really "spongy"; which if im not mistaken is when they could be starting to age which could indicate a need for replacement.
Old 02-03-16, 08:21 AM
matts6887
Racer

anthony; do u really have to drain the entire system just to change hoses or can u do it without bothering to do that?
Old 02-03-16, 11:47 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts

anthony; do u really have to drain the entire system just to change hoses or can u do it without bothering to do that?
Realize you directed your question to Anthony, but I will offer an answer. No, but when you remove the bottom hose, all of the coolant in the radiator and some from the engine will be released in an uncontrolled fashion likely making a big mess. Much easier to slowly drain the radiator from the petcock. You do not have to drain the engine block.
Old 02-03-16, 03:46 PM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

No, by removing the lower hose it will just drain what's in the radiator, by removing the petcock valve you will drain mostly all of the coolant in the radiator therfore not soaking yourself and taking a bath in coolant when you go to remove the bottom hose, some people say it will be stuck... to be honest man my Rx went upwards of 7 years on the oem coolant and the hose was never remove in the past 8 years I've owned it, it was a little stuck but the flat head and a nice twist back and forth did the trick!
Old 02-04-16, 08:19 AM
matts6887
Racer

Thanks anthony and art for the info here. I will keep this in mind and I will bookmark this thread for future reference. Oddly enough; I figured i would just check to make sure the radiator was topped off the other day and apparently it seems whoever had it before put the generic green coolant in there because when i opened the cap there was a bit of green just inside the cap. But; it doesnt appear that its been a issue that its not the pink stuff like it should be because I went all of last summer through the intense arizona desert heat of the summer without a problem of overheating or anything. So all is well as far as that goes. But again thanks for the info anthony and art.
Old 02-05-16, 06:21 AM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Thanks anthony and art for the info here. I will keep this in mind and I will bookmark this thread for future reference. Oddly enough; I figured i would just check to make sure the radiator was topped off the other day and apparently it seems whoever had it before put the generic green coolant in there because when i opened the cap there was a bit of green just inside the cap. But; it doesnt appear that its been a issue that its not the pink stuff like it should be because I went all of last summer through the intense arizona desert heat of the summer without a problem of overheating or anything. So all is well as far as that goes. But again thanks for the info anthony and art.
No problem Matt, I used the green coolant with no problems, I'll probably switch to the red this summer but so far it's been ok, I would just change it every 2 years at most.
Old 02-06-16, 07:47 AM
matts6887
Racer

No problem Matt, I used the green coolant with no problems, I'll probably switch to the red this summer but so far it's been ok, I would just change it every 2 years at most.
Well if i should change it every 2 years; next time i might just put in that longer life coolant even if its more $. That way i wont have to change it or have it changed so often. But so far all is well with my rx. just got it washed too caused it was filthy from previous rains.
Old 02-07-16, 11:17 PM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Well if i should change it every 2 years; next time i might just put in that longer life coolant even if its more $. That way i wont have to change it or have it changed so often. But so far all is well with my rx. just got it washed too caused it was filthy from previous rains.
I hear ya! My girl is filthy as well, I'm going to give it a nice wash, wax and vacuum this coming weekend!