RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Mode servo (again!)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-16, 09:43 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 318 Likes on 276 Posts

Well, got the new part in and.......... Nada! When I change the mode switch, nothing happens. If I remove the servo from it's mounting and leave it plugged in and change the mode setting, nothing either. Is there a fuse in line with any of these servos? (the temp servo is working fine?)

Last edited by sktn77a; 02-21-16 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-21-16, 10:40 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Well, never mind. I took everything apart, decided what I'd done was correct and that, barring a bad servo, it should work. Put it back together and it did! Thanks to all on this board for saving me $500 at an independent and who knows how much at the stealer.

Just two tips for anyone contemplating this. First, remove the small white air duct thats connected to one of the servo screws - makes access much easier. Second, for the infamous third screw (left shark? ), a stubby worked fine for me and to replace it, I just scotch taped the screw to the stubby and screwed it in and then yanked the tape off with the stubby when it was seated.
Old 10-20-17, 08:01 AM
jfiduccia
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello - I'm having the same problem ("Mode" function does not work at all and is stuck pushing air out the top o the dash, and I'm getting the noise to boot).
What was the final fix for you? Was it just replacing the mode servo part? Your second to last post indicated that didn't work....but then your last post references taking everything apart and putting back together. Was that the original part (just cleaning it out) or the new part? I'm ready to order a new mode servo off amazon, but want to make sure I need it first....

Thanks!
JF
Old 10-20-17, 08:35 AM
salimshah

Received 1,084 Likes on 976 Posts

Originally Posted by jfiduccia
Hello - I'm having the same problem ("Mode" function does not work at all and is stuck pushing air out the top o the dash, and I'm getting the noise to boot).
What was the final fix for you? Was it just replacing the mode servo part? Your second to last post indicated that didn't work....but then your last post references taking everything apart and putting back together. Was that the original part (just cleaning it out) or the new part? I'm ready to order a new mode servo off amazon, but want to make sure I need it first....

Thanks!
JF
Welcome to Club Lexus.

What one person experienced may not be applicable in your case. Granted, that it just might. So best course of action would be open up the module and see if the gear portion is right [the motor should be able to spin the arm] and verify the electrical swipe arms are making contact. Then reassemble and test. It just might work for you.
Note: be careful in repositioning the arm .. it should be in the same position [the electrical swipe contact and the arm need to be in sync else the controller will keep trying to twist.

Or you can just bite the bullet and purchase a new controller [make sure you order the right part].

My personal opinion is that the servo gets over worked and wears out.

Salim
Old 10-20-17, 06:05 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

It was the new part that fixed it. I mustn't have pushed the electrical connector on properly.

I have another noise under the dash now (like the old one but not exactly). I'm assuming it's the temperature servo this time, as putting the temperature on max gets rid of it. I'll tackle that one when it gives up the ghost altogether
Old 11-05-17, 03:09 AM
jfiduccia
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks....the new part fixed it for me as well!

Originally Posted by sktn77a
It was the new part that fixed it. I mustn't have pushed the electrical connector on properly.

I have another noise under the dash now (like the old one but not exactly). I'm assuming it's the temperature servo this time, as putting the temperature on max gets rid of it. I'll tackle that one when it gives up the ghost altogether