RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Timing belt

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-16, 05:23 PM
fastegg
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Timing belt

Will soon be purchasing a timing belt. On ebay it seems you can get a Gates and also 'unbranded' ones also. Does it matter what brand ?... Should I use OEM Toyota ?
Old 02-13-16, 05:53 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts

Gates makes high quality belts. If you are planning your timing belt service and looking at ebay, consider the Mitsuboshi timing belt kits with Aisin water pump. They are both OEM suppliers for Toyota/Lexus.
Don't forget to replace your idler pulleys too.
Old 02-14-16, 01:41 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts

Tried a Gates TB and removed it because it was noisy. It was noticeably thicker and stiffer than OEM and had poor quality timing marks. If you can get a TB from the Gates Unitta JV plant in Japan you are good to go. Otherwise, I recommend OEM over Gates or any other aftermarket.
Old 02-14-16, 05:37 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by artbuc
Tried a Gates TB and removed it because it was noisy. It was noticeably thicker and stiffer than OEM and had poor quality timing marks. If you can get a TB from the Gates Unitta JV plant in Japan you are good to go. Otherwise, I recommend OEM over Gates or any other aftermarket.
what make of pulleys did you use when you tried the Gates TB? I've done several jobs with Gates belts, some had noise but i tracked the noise down to the pulleys. Good experiences with Koyo and NTN. Alot of hit and miss with Timken. I suspect it comes down to their supply chain.
Old 02-14-16, 07:27 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Koyo. More words to make message long enough to post.
Old 02-14-16, 08:23 AM
weinkaufjr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cannot speak directly to longevity but I just installed the AC Delco kit. Fit and finish is the comparable to originals. New rollers are smooth operating with no slop as is water pump. Timing belt had timing marks on it for lining things up and matched exactly to the marks I put on the old belt before taking it off. About 1000 miles so far, everything is running smooth and quiet.
Old 02-14-16, 11:36 AM
salimshah

Received 1,050 Likes on 948 Posts

Look here guys .. this thread is getting to be a discussion on who likes what.

In genreral .. stay with OEM products .. Lexus has done its research (including cost effectiveness of the product and warranty service). If the original lasted this long, you can expect the replacement to last as long.

If you venture to use after market product, do your home work.

Every one is welcome to share their good and bad experience. Please avoid challenging others and being forced into defending your's. Let the readers make the call.

Salim
Old 02-14-16, 12:35 PM
lex_rx
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I would go OEM and also order the water pump.
Old 02-15-16, 01:07 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Originally Posted by salimshah
Look here guys .. this thread is getting to be a discussion on who likes what.

In genreral .. stay with OEM products .. Lexus has done its research (including cost effectiveness of the product and warranty service). If the original lasted this long, you can expect the replacement to last as long.

If you venture to use after market product, do your home work.

Every one is welcome to share their good and bad experience. Please avoid challenging others and being forced into defending your's. Let the readers make the call.

Salim
This admonition is totally uncalled for. People were sharing their experiences in a respectful, constructive way. That is what this forum is for.
Old 02-15-16, 02:08 AM
fastegg
Intermediate

Interesting comments... I will get a price on OEM Toyota see how much they are...
Also seems to be a few different brands (and unbranded) TB kits with water pump, pulleys and what not... Any of these ok ? or do the pulleys have to match the TB ?

Last edited by fastegg; 02-15-16 at 02:14 AM.
Old 02-15-16, 02:24 AM
artbuc
Instructor

PHP Code:

Originally Posted by fastegg
Interesting comments... I will get a price on OEM Toyota see how much they are...
Also seems to be a few different brands (and unbranded) TB kits with water pump, pulleys and what not... Any of these ok ? or do the pulleys have to match the TB ?
Get the OEM quality kit with Koyo bearings, Aisin WP and Mitsuboshi belt.
Old 02-15-16, 07:27 AM
salimshah

Received 1,050 Likes on 948 Posts

Originally Posted by artbuc
This admonition is totally uncalled for. People were sharing their experiences in a respectful, constructive way. That is what this forum is for.
Art ... Please accept my apologies. It was supposed to be a caution note. When folks start quoting each other and insist on proving the other wrong ... was my concern. Was I too proactive .. unreasonable, then please consider that as a lapse in my judgment. It is folks like you and other who bring value to the Forum.

Peace

Salim
Old 02-15-16, 02:56 PM
fastegg
Intermediate

All the TB kits on ebay in Australia, most have a Gates or Dayco belt but everything else is unbranded. Where as ebay USA, the OEM kits look very comprehensive ($100AUD freight) and also include a fan belt which I thought was nice. An OEM kit including freight is $580AUD ... kits in Australia are $350-$470 but none are OEM and considering US ones include a fan belt I'll seriously consider going with OEM and pay the $100 freight
Old 02-15-16, 02:57 PM
fastegg
Intermediate

Oh... All good Mr Salim
Old 02-24-16, 10:02 AM
thaeleelyr
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just did my TB last fall and I can say with certainty that the Gates do not fit correctly, at least the ones sent to me (there were multiple attempts). I confirmed with Gates that it was the correct belt. I also confirmed with Gates that they feel it's OK to have the timing off one tooth as a "standard practice" in the automotive world. The Gates are one tooth short of the Mitsuboshi; same length. I did have a shop install the previous one and they used a Gates. It came out of the shop broken, thankfully they didn't ruin the engine. When it came out the second time, there was a noticeable click sound that they told me was a valve that they assured me just magically broke and had nothing to do with the TB change. Based on what I ran into changing that crap out, I think they fudged the camshaft positions just enough to get it on, but not have it completely off timed.

I have pictures. I may have done a write-up on it. I might do a write-up on the differences between the two with pictures, if anyone is interested.

Quick Reply: Timing belt